Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Channels do you get free?

• 12-06-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi guys,

I will be buying a Smart TV tomo (a Sony) with inbuilt internet, satellite, saorview.

The tech comms guys (as I call him) is also putting in a satellite for free channels. I then hope to supplement with Netfix/NowTV, if I need to.

Sorry to sound very basic (and unknowledgeable!) but what foreign channels will I get (looking for mainly English). Is there a list some where? Ive tried googling, but dont understand. I am not sure if there is even a name for this.

I know saorview gives you free Irish channels, and with the dish, you get additional (English) channels.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hi guys,

I will be buying a Smart TV tomo (a Sony) with inbuilt internet, satellite, saorview.

The tech comms guys (as I call him) is also putting in a satellite for free channels. I then hope to supplement with Netfix/NowTV, if I need to.

Sorry to sound very basic (and unknowledgeable!) but what foreign channels will I get (looking for mainly English). Is there a list some where? Ive tried googling, but dont understand. I am not sure if there is even a name for this.

I know saorview gives you free Irish channels, and with the dish, you get additional (English) channels.

Thanks

This is the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Can i ask for these free channels what satellite does Ireland use I have searched and I get ASTRA but when Im tuning my Satbox it ask which Astra
    Should I select Astra G or E or F

Astra 2G

Astra 2E

Astra 2F

In any part of Ireland does it matter which one you link to or are they all the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

All three. They are near enough in the sky that the dish sees them as one. If you are restricted to a specific sat name look for a "network scan" or "blind scan" option. (exact wording might differ) In most cases the box doesn't actually know or care what sat it is pointing at. The name helps it simply by using a preset list of frequencies to scan. Over time this list changes. Using the above method lets the box search everything it can receive regardless of the list.

Thanks Gerry and all those other Satellites i see listed like "Hotbird" Eurosat inmarsat is there any reason to ever try connect to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thanks Gerry and all those other Satellites i see listed like "Hotbird" Eurosat inmarsat is there any reason to ever try connect to them?

Not unless your move your dish - these are satellites for the European market, so largely foreign language/etc. If you want to pick up the UK FTA as well as these additional satellites you'd need a motor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭roadmaster

i am looking at getting a new smart tv with all the apps and satellite tuner the same as the op. If i don't get a box what will be the disadvantages ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The main disadvantages of TVs compared to a box, is the software is clunky and restrictive. You only get the apps the maker decides. It is soon outdated. Many are obsolete before they leave the shop. The recording functions can be very restricted. Some only record the channel you are watching or the TV needs to be on to record. If anything goes wrong or you want to upgrade you have to replace the whole thing which can be expensive compared to upgrading a box in a few years time.
    My TV is less than 2 years old. Most apps never worked (geolocked), the web browser is useless, difficult to work with a remote and cant handle modern site design. The only "smart" function I use is Youtube and even that is a limited and awkward user interface. E.G. on a live stream you can see the chat but can't reply. Nope, give me a versatile, powerful, upgradable box such as the Zgemma H7S that I can configure to my wants and needs rather than the makers constraints.

True Gerry . my sister spent a bomb on an integrated smart tv when they first came out. I told her not to bother as they would be stuck with that gui etc for life of tv. she said no sure its the best available etc..... 8 years on she has a smart box and never uses the inbuilt tv smart software. complete waste and totally redundant
    it cost an absolute fortune at the time compared to comparable tvs that had no in built smarts. ABSOLUTE WASTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Thanks lads you have just ruined my Saturday morning:) i had planned on buying a new Panasonic tv with all the bells and whistles !!! If i buy the Zgemma H7S can it service three tvs from one location or do i need three boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

roadmaster wrote: »
    i am looking at getting a new smart tv with all the apps and satellite tuner the same as the op. If i don't get a box what will be the disadvantages ?

A Now tv stick 20€ gets you Netflix, YouTube, RTÉ player, VM player, Spotify, tune in radio (Internet radio), that's without a subscription and you can move it between tv's, more flexible option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Hi guys,

Thanks

As an owner of a Sony Android Smart TV with FTA satellite receiver i would advise you to purchase a TV with an inbuilt Freesat receiver.

Unfortunately Sony no longer make Freesat TV's, Samsung, LG & Panasonic do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

roadmaster wrote: »
    Thanks lads you have just ruined my Saturday morning:) i had planned on buying a new Panasonic tv with all the bells and whistles !!! If i buy the Zgemma H7S can it service three tvs from one location or do i need three boxes?
    Better if each TV has it's own receiver.

Most satellite boxes only have two satellite tuners. So no matter what you do the third TV is limited by what's already in use.

Also factor in if you need tuners to record other programs in the background.

It's possible to steam and share recordings from the main box but you'll likely to need a smart box for the other TV's. Raspberry Pi's can do that as can many of the media sticks. Which is OK if you want a bedroom TV to mirror or take over the main one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭con747

Hi guys,

Thanks

Buy a tv with Netflix, Prime Video and Youtube apps built in to save a lot of hassle and you can quick launch from the remote control.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement