Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil VIIIage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm falling in love with Stadia.

This is the gaming equivalent of those teen romances where one of the teens is terminally ill :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is the gaming equivalent of those teen romances where one of the teens is terminally ill :P

The chrome browser in our stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that bit. As I said before it's a straight up homage to Clock Tower which I really appreciate. However I didn't think the scares worked as well as Clock Tower, it was a bit rote. Still I really liked how
    it changed into a point and Click/horror hybrid for a section
    . Seems to be nice variety in each of the 4 sections.
    When you mean the Clock Tower, is it when you were hiding from Mr. X? I do remember his loud footsteps and the sound of opening doors looking for me.

As for House Beneviento, that place creeped me out. Removing the limbs from the wooden doll and the mutated baby completely freaked me out. Playing in a darkened room using earphones ramped up the tension too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No, clock tower is an old snes horror game. Its a point and click game but at certain points you have an enemy called scissorman come after you and you've to hide or find environmental puzzles to slow him down. It's an incredible game and despite the limitations of the snes hardware it manages to be scary and tense. That resi 8 chapter felt very like it with very similar story beats as well. Capcom has ties with the series as it published clock tower 3 and made its own homage with haunting ground on the ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Maybe someone can help me but Im in the village in a house that's red and I cant find what Im obviously missing? it's the house with garlic hanging from the ceilings and there are candles in the there too with a painted circle on the floor...it's just really frustrating me at this stage Ive cleared every other house in the village area.

• Advertisement

Look for shiny things in the roof or in furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Maybe someone can help me but Im in the village in a house that's red and I cant find what Im obviously missing? it's the house with garlic hanging from the ceilings and there are candles in the there too with a painted circle on the floor...it's just really frustrating me at this stage Ive cleared every other house in the village area.

Money under the bed apparently. Was the only house left in red for me until i read about it after i cleared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Finished it there. Enjoyed it up to the last third or so.
    The Factory wasn't terribly enjoyable for me. Pottering around grey industrial surroundings (it's a factory, I know) is just nowhere near as fun and interesting as Castle Dimitrescu imo. I appreciate how they switched up the enemy type here though.

Like others, I just wish the Castle Dimitrescu was longer / the bulk of the game. Dollhouse was cool but as someone said, I'm not sure how well that will play on repeat playthroughs.
    Wasn't terribly shocked by the whole Ethan being mold revelation. I'm pretty sure it was revealed in 7 in one of the files in a lab at the end game. It explains the limb reattachment madness anyway.

The story is the usual silly madness and not worth dissecting seriously for me. For Resi games (for me) it's really more about the atmosphere and I posted earlier that I didn't love the direction that they took this one in, in fairness you can't keep making the same game so they had to try something different.

I just loved Resi 7's fusion of Texas Chainsaw Massacre / Evil Dead / Resi 1. There's not as much for me to love in this one. That being said it's still a solid 6.5/10 for me.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Money under the bed apparently. Was the only house left in red for me until i read about it after i cleared it.

Yep, only triggers when you kneel down towards the bed, it was driving me mad!

Just finished it...I really enjoyed it.

Nice setting, mad storyline, nice mix of different enemies and the boss battles were fun.

Its heavy on the action, I never really found myself in any trouble ammo wise, always felt comfortable and strong throughout, this isn't a criticism and I don't mind it going in this direction, I actually enjoy the action/horror element and they've done well with moving the series forward.

I thought it looked beautiful on the Xbox Series X, although I had one or two issues with crashing, I also lost some saves at one point and it got a bit glitchy but nothing that really mattered in the end.

• Advertisement

Making of "Village of Shadows" theme song for anyone interested.

Finished it today, well 1.40 am in the morning counts as today. I really enjoyed it although it's just a little off being a classic. Really love the level design, there's something so satisfying about a map that loops back around itself many times. Gave me Dark souls vibes. I don't get the action comments. It was horror all the way up to the boss of the factory and the action bit really only lasted 5 minutes (but was far and away the worst part of it).

Great game, took me 10 hours to beat so relatively brief in this day and age and as a result it's very nicely paced.

What it isn't is better than Resident Evil 4. That's next level crazy talk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also finished last night - a classic case of 'ah sure I'll push through to the end' and then it's 3:30am :pac:

I certainly preferred the game to Resi 7, which was perfectly fine but often more tedious than scary. The invincible pursuers idea is clunky rather than terrifying in action, and it's a shame some of the enemies here fall into the same mould (pun of course intended).

But I also really enjoyed the shift towards more of an adventure game. What's great about something like RE2 is the intricate level design: familiar loops, closed doors and valuable keys. A lot of this game falls into the same category, and indeed wholeheartedly embraces it with little design details such as a map that lets you know you'd dug around enough in a particular space.

Particular note to the visual design: there are more technically advance games out there I'm sure, but few that use lighting so impactfully to create a mood and tone. The orange glow of the lamps, lights and torches looks stunning in HDR.

There is a lot of tedious action though. The shooting is simplistic, and the last two or three hours throw waves of enemies at you until it goes straight up Resi 6 levels of blockbuster absurdity at times (
    at least its brief shift to a more COD type gameplay during the Chris section is motivated by story and character
    ).

I've never thought Resi has been a particularly scary series, mainly because it's often so goofy and cheesy at its core. There are certainly creepy sections here,
    like the Doll House
    which is a cool change of pace. But there's also hints the designers are trying to lean into a sort of Evil Dead style comedy horror, what with the absurd body mutilation Ethan goes through. But the game doesn't quite settle tonally: that comic streak is undercut by a self-seriousness that in some cases enhances the gags and in other cases make the whole thing seems confused. I'd really love to see the series embrace its own long-standing goofiness next time and go full-on Evil Dead 2.

There are a few weird design decisions that come across as strangely half-arsed. Namely the inventory and crafting system. I'm actually not even sure why they have an inventory size limit because you have a ludicrous amount of space that's never, ever an issue as long as you buy the (basically mandatory) upgrades as you go. At least the earlier games made inventory management - tedious and contrived as it often was - part of the game. Here, the two times I needed to move things around to make way for a new item felt completely arbitrary, with nothing in the way of tactical decision-making. Just let the player carry everything if you're going to let them carry everything rather than this pointless hybrid.

A good game all-in-all that often doubles down on what Resi does best: rummaging through a sinister castle or venturing down a hidden pathway with a silly puzzle is the series at its finest IMO. It is all over the gaff quality wise though, and even at a modest 10 hours - admirably short and sweet by modern standards - the pace can't keep up. But it hurls Resi 1, Resi 2, Resi 4, Resi 6 and Resi 7 into a blender, and the results are suitably mad and enjoyably nonsensical. Mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

and go full-on Evil Dead
    Evil Dead will go full Evil Dead hopefully this year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALpBmM6EqBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

After two play throughs I've only found out you can upgrade your space and upgrade Ethan. The game does a poor job introducing the UI mechanics to the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    After two play throughs I've only found out you can upgrade your space and upgrade Ethan. The game does a poor job introducing the UI mechanics to the user.

Really, I thought it was fairly self explanatory, the attache case is the first thing in the shop row ( well it was when I played) and with the upgrading ethan its the biggest selection for the duke, he even says it too you and each explanation clearly states what your upgrading.

Surely its not system specific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I don't think they could make it any clearer without inundating the player with tutorial pop-ups and reminders. I think this one is all on you tbh.

UI has issues.

I myself went hunting animals and sold a lot of good meat because I thought it was just a commodity to be sold. Then later the game unlocked the recipes section of the shop after I'd sold about half the meat available in the game so I only got about half the stat upgrades available. I'd imagine a person that cares about achievements would be even more annoyed.

I read a kotaku article saying the same, they sold most of their meat before unlocking the upgrade system. I found it weird as i hadn't come across an animal until the upgrade system unlocked which i figured was by design.

As for the trophies, resi franchise is notorious for have some ****ing awful grindy ones, puts me off even trying to get trophies.

Well I tried to attack a chicken to see what would happen and then got attacked by an angry pig before it unlocked.

• Advertisement

Stabbing comically at the awkwardly animated fish swimming around a pond to grab their upgrade item is such pure, nonsense video game logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

No matter what anyone tells you, there's no fish in mititei :) If they smell fishy, don't eat them.

Stabbing comically at the awkwardly animated fish swimming around a pond to grab their upgrade item is such pure, nonsense video game logic.

I found the Catfish hilarious and strangely accurate to their natural environment that the little feckers were so hard to see in their murky muddy watering hole.

If you weren't using a shotgun for killing the fish then you are playing videogames incorrectly.

Markitron wrote: »
    If you weren't using a shotgun for killing the fish then you are playing videogames incorrectly.

Well la-dee-dah Mr ‘I have enough shotgun ammo to be using it on the fish’ :pac:

Some smart arse is going to tell us that the real macho way is to use a pipe bomb.

Well la-dee-dah Mr ‘I have enough shotgun ammo to be using it on the fish’ :pac:

Back in the day I was playing RE2 with a mate of mine, he walked into one of the rooms and shot a shotgun round into the air. I asked him wtf he was doing wasting a precious a shotgun shell and he said 'have to let them zombie bastards know I'm coming'.

This is how you play RE games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

recyclops wrote: »
    Really, I thought it was fairly self explanatory, the attache case is the first thing in the shop row ( well it was when I played) and with the upgrading ethan its the biggest selection for the duke, he even says it too you and each explanation clearly states what your upgrading.

Surely its not system specific

There was no briefcase in my first playthrough you can see it on my YouTube as I streamed the full thing.

There was no briefcase in my first playthrough you can see it on my YouTube as I streamed the full thing.

It is 100% there in the Duke's shop, unless you have some extremely specific and rare bug occurring I don't know how you can miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Think I am nearing the end of this just beat
    Moreau/Fish man

House benevito was really twisted, jaysus I actually felt scared playing it.

Was it just me or could you not walk or run as fast in the basement of that bit?

Advertisement