Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil VIIIage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I didn't see any screen tearing, did you mean judder?

Judder comes from V-sync and the game dropping from 60 to 30 or 30 to 15 FPS. Tearing occurs when the framerate is uncapped.

They didn't mention tearing either, I'm just going on that assumption as I've not played the demo myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tearing occurs when the framerate is uncapped.

This isn't true, it is a contributing factor but it doesn't cause tearing by itself. Plenty of modern games run at unlocked framerates without tearing issues. These usually manifest as framepacing issues and judder. RE8 doesn't tear, uncapped in this case means it runs between 57 and 60 fps with the odd drop to low 50s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This isn't true, it is a contributing factor but it doesn't cause tearing by itself. Plenty of modern games run at unlocked framerates without tearing issues. These usually manifest as framepacing issues and judder. RE8 doesn't tear, uncapped in this case means it runs between 57 and 60 fps with the odd drop to low 50s.

Ah ok. So it duplicates frames instead of tearing causing judder. Makes sense.

Ah ok. So it duplicates frames instead of tearing causing judder. Makes sense.

Yea it alternates frame times between 16 and 32ms, it's ****e but nowhere near as bad as screen tearing. Like I can deal with the odd dropped frame, particularly when you are hovering around 60, but I'm hyper-sensitive to screen tearing. It would straight-up make me quit a game without a second thought.

This was a really big issue with console games around the start and middle of the PS3/360 gen (Uncharted 1 was woeful for it), but it is mostly eliminated now thankfully. The only high-profile game that I can think of recently would be AC Valhalla. Even there it was fairly limited.

I forgot how bad that gen was. Went back to finish off some ps3 games are they are horrendous for performance for the most part. Df retro said that some people call it a 720p 30fps gen but it should be the 15 to 20 fps gen

• Advertisement

I forgot how bad that gen was. Went back to finish off some ps3 games are they are horrendous for performance for the most part. Df retro said that some people call it a 720p 30fps gen but it should be the 15 to 20 fps gen

Yea it was absolutely shocking, devs were chasing HD graphics and they didn't care what they had to do to get them. Proprietary engines were expensive and difficult so pretty much every game over a certain budget either looked/ran awful or they used Unreal engine which made everything look like a monotonous brown mess.

Honestly, I think the jump to HD was even more awkward than the jump to 3D.

Yep. That gen is going to age very poorly. Already has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the positive side, it goes to show how our expectations for console performance have actually improved so much. The PS4 / Xbone gen may have been underpowered by PC standards, but most games performed pretty well (30 FPS well) given those limitations. There's always exceptions, of course - and I think the (justified) anger over CP2077 shows how people aren't really willing to accept 360/PS3 level performance anymore.

One thing worth nothing though is the RE Engine is a little bit of a miracle machine. Really punches above its weight - whether it's a big blockbuster VR title for PS4, or something like MH Rise for Switch. Capcom is really onto a winner with it.

On the positive side, it goes to show how our expectations for console performance have actually improved so much. The PS4 / Xbone gen may have been underpowered by PC standards, but most games performed pretty well (30 FPS well) given those limitations. There's always exceptions, of course - and I think the (justified) anger over CP2077 shows how people aren't really willing to accept 360/PS3 level performance anymore.

One thing worth nothing though is the RE Engine is a little bit of a miracle machine. Really punches above its weight - whether it's a big blockbuster VR title for PS4, or something like MH Rise for Switch. Capcom is really onto a winner with it.

Yea agree with all this. Last gen was a step forward. This gen almost every game so far has a 60 fps option, I hope they keep it up. I want at least a 1440p/60 fps option going forward.

Capcoms engines have been great for a long time.

People give out about inafune but him pushing for the mt framework engine was the right thing to do. Looked and performed great and it was the first engine with performance parity between the ps3 and 360.

• Advertisement

Capcoms engines have been great for a long time.

People give out about inafune but him pushing for the mt framework engine was the right thing to do. Looked and performed great and it was the first engine with performance parity between the ps3 and 360.

RIP Panta Rhei

Deep Down still isn't officially cancelled :/

Deep Down still isn't officially cancelled :/

Really? That's incredible. Reminds me of an interview for a pharma company I went to in December 2015. They never told if I got the job or not so technically I am still under consideration :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Is there anywhere I can walk in and buy this physically on release ? Tesco maybe ? Be dying to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

brady12 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can walk in and buy this physically on release ? Tesco maybe ? Be dying to play it

Argos, click and collect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Timed demos are weird. You're weird Capcom. Stop being weird :p

Timed demos are weird. You're weird Capcom. Stop being weird :p

They are pretty much the only publisher that still puts out demos, they can be as weird as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They are pretty much the only publisher that still puts out demos, they can be as weird as they want.

Meh.
    I get that they are trying to create buzz by having time-limited demos. Like it's an event. Builds hype and buzz.

But I reckon thousands of people forgot the demo was yesterday and said "crap!!!"

They don't have to offer a demo and it's not like what's in the demo will be unique content.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Full 60 minute demo will be open from 2nd to 10th of May.

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1386697010686930951?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They don't have to offer a demo and it's not like what's in the demo will be unique content.

It was semi-unique for the Resi 7 demo, reusing some areas, but with different things going on

Star Lord wrote: »
    It was semi-unique for the Resi 7 demo, reusing some areas, but with different things going on

They should have released the Maiden demo to everyone but since that had no combat and resi village is supposed to be heavier on the combat than 7, i can understand them putting it out. A good compromise world have been Maiden and a round of mercenaries. I haven't played the demo, have the game pre-ordered but hope the village and castle aren't the main parts of the game like they already sound like they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the Maiden demo seemed good enough for me honestly. A discrete chunk of unique game; an incredible tech demo for the engine (that HDR is god-tier, seriously); and a tease for some of the characters and settings. Shoulda rolled that out more widely.

Weird position to be in thinking a modern game has *too many* demos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They should have released the Maiden demo to everyone but since that had no combat and resi village is supposed to be heavier on the combat than 7, i can understand them putting it out. A good compromise world have been Maiden and a round of mercenaries. I haven't played the demo, have the game pre-ordered but hope the village and castle aren't the main parts of the game like they already sound like they are.

Couldn't see them going with mercenaries for the demo, unless it featured enemies from past games exclusively!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Re:Verse will no longer ship with Village and instead will release later this Summer. I've just cancelled my pre-order.

Just to reiterate, Village is still being released on time.

Also, avoid IGN, they have posted the 4 main bosses you come across. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Re:Verse will no longer ship with Village and instead will release later this Summer. I've just cancelled my pre-order.

Gutted.
    Just to reiterate, Village is still being released on time.

Phew.
    Also, avoid IGN, they have posted the 4 main bosses you come across. FFS.

Ah jaysus, I hate that kinda crap. Thanks for the heads up.

It's just mentioning bosses that have already been shown in videos and in key art. It's hardly a spoiler and more statement of the obvious. People are to too sensitive to spoilers.

It's just mentioning bosses that have already been shown in videos and in key art. It's hardly a spoiler and more statement of the obvious. People are to too sensitive to spoilers.

Some people don't look at videos and key art

Some people don't look at videos and key art

Well it's their own fault. Reading IGN is the first mistake :pac:

• Advertisement

Well it's their own fault. Reading IGN is the first mistake :pac:

On that we certainly agree.

Advertisement