Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black aphid infestation on very large maple tree

Options
  • 12-06-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

It recurs every year. The tree hardly seems to notice but the honeydew from the aphids makes everything around the tree sticky and occasionally other plants get the aphids too. It’s in the sunniest part of the garden and I’d actually like to use the space.

Tree is very big, taller than the house, this can’t be treated with a hose and washing up liquid!

However I’ve read about a root treatment. Can anyone recommend tree surgeon in dublin that might do this kind of work? Mostly they seem to be about pruning. Is it a tree surgeon I need?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's just nature taking it's course, a large tree won't be bothered and the aphids provide plenty of food for birds and insects.
    If you want to use the space then removing the tree completely is realistically the only course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Ah but I don’t want to remove the tree. I want to remove the aphids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

What you want is not obtainable. I've given my advice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are companies that sell ladybirds especially for this purpose, just make sure they're not harlequin ladybirds as those are invasive. Also, you've no guarantee that they'll stick around if they find more appetising stuff elsewhere, but if they do stick around they do work.

An alternative would be to spray whatever you can with clay or diatomaceous earth diluted in water, if would create a layer over the bug tha would dehydrate it and kill it - seeing as the tree is so big you probably won't be able to reach everywhere, but it would be better than nothing.

Two questions, though:

1. Are you sure they're aphids? If they're not, they might require a different treatment.
    2. Is the tree suffering because of them? If it isn't, I'd leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

1. I’m pretty sure. Small black flies evenly distributed on the underside of every leaf? Bigger than the aphids on roses. But still quite small. Sticky stuff everywhere around tree?

2. Some die back here and there on tree, but not serious.

The aphids have to go, is there a way to catch them before the infestation explodes each spring? I could thin the tree and raise the canopy. Just not sure that would help.

I hate to take the tree down. But it’s a small garden and I need all the use of all of it.

Birds eat a lot of them so population in check at moment. But not enough to allow use of that area of garden. I could try ladybirds I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement