Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

successful people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There are 2 very simple rules for success:

1. Never reveal everything you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

looking at news of a new president of the high court.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609

She came from an exclusive private school and born into wealth.

But wondering what is the main cause that people reach such heights and become successful in their fields. is it:

1. work ethic driven by your parents- forced to study and it becomes a habit
    2. having a natural work ethic- as in you want to study and do well.
    2. good genes that make you more intelligent
    3. connections
    4. higher classes less likely to be in the pub on a sunday afternoon.

i dont know
    any thoughts?

Ambition and determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Luck and being in the right place at the right time does play a part, it very hard to just start studying in secondary school so you need a good primary education particularly the foundation in English and Maths to build on.

Background and family attitude to education is a factor as well.

The vast majority of parents want the best for their children but there is a difference between wanting the best and doing the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Judges are personal appointments, so connections and networking help a lot. Many people go into the professions of their parents, nothing new there.

It's a mix of several things, but hard work is one of them, good personal skills and being able to nurture chances and contacts helps a lot. Of course being born into an area like that helps, as you've known the contacts since you were a kid, it gives you a certain headstart in life. But you can work your way up from nothing too, some of the most successful people in business started with literally nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If your parents have money and give you financial support for the nicer things in life all through your life it frees you up to concentrate on study and achieving success in your chosen career. If on the other hand you have to get a part time job as soon as you are old enough to get some of the nicer things in life its alot more difficult to achieve that success in your career and financially long term.

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    If your parents have money and give you financial support for the nicer things in life all through your life it frees you up to concentrate on study and achieving success in your chosen career. If on the other hand you have to get a part time job as soon as you are old enough to get some of the nicer things in life its alot more difficult to achieve that success in your career and financially long term.

As i pointed out in another thread Jacinda Arden Prime Minister of New Zealand worked in a chip shop from the age of 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

obviously her looks

Looks and, more importantly, whether your parents have money or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd love to see the stats for rich lists and inherited wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

1. IQ
    2. Luck
    3. Timing
    4. Hard Work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Connections, hard work, ambition and a lot of luck I would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Knowing what they want in life, putting a plan in place to achieve it, making sacrifices and remaining focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

People are a product of their environment. It moulds you.
    If you grow up around people with a strong work ethic and who value education then you are more likely to adopt the same mindset.

Success breeds success. Not always but it certainly helps to be brought up in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A nice financial safety net allows you the luxury to make mistakes

When you don't have that one bad decision and it's all over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

For this wan it must have been the chance to represent such werewolves as the Congregation of Christian Brothers at the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I see the father was Deputy DG of RTÉ at one stage. Cue the establishment brickbats!!

She's already a judge of the Supreme Court and a was a youth International golfer. She went to convent school in Dublin and UCD, no Swiss finishing schools and the Sorbonne there anyway.

But lets cut the nonsense, she qualified and excelled as a jurist due to her own hard work. Good luck to her in her demanding new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

mariaalice wrote: »
    As i pointed out in another thread Jacinda Arden Prime Minister of New Zealand worked in a chip shop from the age of 14.

I said it makes it easier to succeed, obviously hard work and ability in certain individuals is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And in the party since she was 17.

the_syco wrote: »
    And in the party since she was 17.

Yeah so hard work and ambition, of course, circumstance play a big part in all of this but dismissing the hard work and saying its all about wealth and connections and who the parents are is disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

In Ireland anyway it's no.3 connections...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

begbysback wrote: »

I always feel Peterson's work and advice is designed and tailored for highly intellectual lazy people. If you're an idiot with enough curiosity to listen to him, he just confirms your doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Being friends with people who are ambitious is important. it drives everyone to be as successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nothing succeeds like a toothless canary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't agree that successful people are made in private schools. Made easier, yes. And you might get a few extra points in the leaving.
    But connections are something you can make if you want to. There is no point sitting at home watching Netflix wondering why you aren't progressing or making work connections. Networking at seminars, professional institutions, etc is where a network is built. I made loads of them at these events and never once was I asked "What school did I go to".
    It ties in with hard work, I would argue hard work and building a network go hand in hand, because going to these events, and putting yourself out there, is hard work too.
    There's also an element of "being tough, but not so tough that people dislike you or get their back up". Fight your corner but know which battles to fight.
    Ireland is so small that inevitably an element of jobs, etc are through who you know, but if you want to you can get to know these people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are so many different careers, so many different people and so many different measurements of what constitutes success, there probably isn't a given rule.

For sports people or musicians or singers, I think talent and work ethic are obviously hugely influential but so too is opportunity. There's probably plenty kids who could have developed their skills much further if they had been in a different school or location where they would have had the opportunity to develop their talent.

In terms of those that succeed in 'professional' careers such as medical, legal, finance etc I think having parents who were already in such fields would have helped not necessarily because of money but because of being able to point out the path to succeed in those areas. Having parents experienced in this would have helped in recognizing that hard work for such college courses started when the education started, and not just 6 months before the leaving cert. Also, is it an inherent goal for a lot of people to achieve at least the same education/career as your parent did and so if the parents were successful, then, would it have helped the child set similar goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

did she serve a lot of " fush and chups " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about yer man who sold penny apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    did she serve a lot of " fush and chups " ?

Are ‘battered sausages’ a thing in New Zealand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

What about yer man who sold penny apples?

Bill Cullen?

Advertisement