Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

successful people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Esse85 wrote: »
    Bill Cullen?

A great guy, very inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Op, I would say it is combination of all 5 things you listed, with the first 3 being the most important (p.s. your numbering is a little off;))

Some people here seem to be living in a bubble if they think that just because parents may be wealthy, that the kids don't get a part-time job and, thus, spend more time time studying. What complete nonsense.

As someone who supposedly grew up in a well-off family, in a so-called snobby suburb and went to a fee-paying school, not only did I continuously have a part-time job from the weekend I turned 16 up to the week before I started my post-grad career, but most of my friends were the same, and I would say there is a very strong correlation between those who worked the most throughout secondary school/college and those who are now the most successful of my friends.

Likewise, I do not know of a single one of my friends' parents who would not have "strongly encouraged" their children to "get a job" from the age of 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If I’m on my deathbed and have no regrets and can look back fondly at where I spent my most valuable commodity (time) I will consider my life a success.

I think what people imagine success is changes over the course of their lives. I think a person content with what they have and who is in their life is a successful person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

not in this case obviously this lady worked hard and got where she is through ability. but generally in Ireland connections are a wonderful catalyst for successful people, it’s not what you know, but who.
    Elite schools bring an elite circle of acquaintances and that is why private schools are so favoured by the wealthy, to keep them moving in those elite circles that might give them a leg up in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

She came from an exclusive private school and born into wealth.
    ?

I'd hardly call Mt Anville "an exclusive private school"

Middle class fee paying school and accessible to a wide range of students. Lower fees than many of its peers too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    did she serve a lot of " fush and chups " ?

Or iggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

dotsman wrote: »
    As someone who supposedly grew up in a well-off family /quote]

Are you saying you didnt grow up in a well off family or you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Car99 wrote: »
    dotsman wrote: »
    As someone who supposedly grew up in a well-off family /quote]

Are you saying you didnt grow up in a well off family or you did?
    I would consider it comfortable. But certain people, based on the house & suburb I grew up in and the fact that I went to a fee-paying school, would have considered my family as rich/snobs/well-off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,566 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ambition and determination.

This! Work hard get results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I know one guy who was born into a hugely wealthy family. A family who have been doctors, solicitors and dentists. The guy I know just expected everything to be handed to him and He just didn’t bother working for it. He lives off the family name and is just arsing around waiting for an inheritance. He has/had the brains to do anything he wanted but didn’t have any drive due to the sense of entitlement.

Contrast this with another guy I went to college with. He had absolutely nothing growing up, he was working at 13 or 14 to help his family put food on the table as neither parent worked. In college then he worked two jobs and relied on grants/scholarships to get fully educated. He worked his balls off 7 days a week between college and two jobs. It took him a few years to get a break but he got one and he’s now managing an Arabian Royal Family’s wealth fund and is a multi millionaire.

Both fellas had the brains but one has drive and the other doesn’t. It’s all about drive and it’s all about wanting something. The guy who worked for his opportunity just put his head down and kept going. Years of dealing with bull**** in his home and having no time or money during college to enjoy himself. He’s an absolute success story and is probably the most successful person I’ve ever seen or ever will see. He started with literally nothing, worked as hard as he could and made the opportunities for himself and made them happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 mikecope

From what I can see, most highly successful people achieve success at a young age. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are classic examples. In terms of class and wealth they both both came from opposite sides of the tracks but they both made it big and there are thousands like them. It doesn't matter what your background is, you can still succeed if you believe in yourself, are determined and prepared to put in the hard work but the earlier you start the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its not what you know its who you know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Are ‘battered sausages’ a thing in New Zealand?

They are actually. They call them hot dogs. We stopped onto a little place called haast on the south island on our trip there 18 months ago. Was expecting as nice hot dog in a bun but got what looked like we would call a battered sausage on a stick. Interesting. https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-h3g-ie&source=android-browser&q=new+zealand+hot+dog#imgrc=oHM7KGl3T7S8mM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Too much talk about "hard work" - that's all bollocks. Many people in any sort of power have an allergic reaction to doing any sort of hard work.

Sure, some people have to crawl, fight tooth and nail to get ahead. Not everyone. Who you know can counter this and the whole "who you know" can take on many various factors (being pulled in to a job, being told about a certain industry etc)

Luck, right timing and determination to stick with something. That's pretty much it. As the average person can't rely on having someone to pull you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Anyone can succeed if they put in the effort, however, it takes a certain type of person with a particular set of attributes to make it to the top imo. The people who make it to the top possess:

1) Ambition
    2) Grit
    3) A Charming Personality
    4) Confidence
    5) Connections

I'd add familial expectations.

A bit like the child of the person queuing for Penny's overnight. Chances are they won't be the first woman on the moon. There will be exceptions.

Agree though that a certain person if too comfortable may not succeed. Think of the Sweet 16 TV series type of kid.

There are some people that get a good education, but are not worldly wise. They'll do okay, but won't pull up any trees.

A good sense of curiosity and determination will help in scientific areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Money to be able to pursue a career and be able to make mistakes, having the money to be able to gain enough qualifications at a young enough age which most working class people cant afford. Most people who dont have family support, if they want to do a masters or further their education beyond BA level they have to work and save for years or take out loans to pay for fees. People from wealthy homes can go straight into a masters and PHD straight out of their undergrad. You have a better chance reaching success if youre fully qualified and gaining work experience at 25 rather than 35 and beyond.

Connections as Ireland is run on nepotism.

Luck - There are allot of people with the work ethic and determination but they never get a decent opportunity.

Luck - There are allot of people with the work ethic and determination but they never get a decent opportunity.

I would imagine someone with work ethic and determination not succeeding would be very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I would imagine someone with work ethic and determination not succeeding would be very rare.

Its not rare at all.

Its not rare at all.

Can you give an example of a particular career where it applies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Money, luck, connections. Intelligence or work ethics not really necessary as a lot of people in good positions without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Someone once told me not to work hard but to work smart. That was a game changer for me and advice I’d give to anyone.

But with regard to the OPs question consider this. 2 babies born in Dublin this morning. One is brought home to dalkey the other to darndale. Which becomes the high court judge that sends the other to mount joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mikecope wrote: »
    From what I can see, most highly successful people achieve success at a young age. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are classic examples. In terms of class and wealth they both both came from opposite sides of the tracks but they both made it big and there are thousands like them. It doesn't matter what your background is, you can still succeed if you believe in yourself, are determined and prepared to put in the hard work but the earlier you start the better.

You need a little luck at just the right time, bad luck can strike and put paid to the destiny of many incredibly hard working ambitious people, not saying that they then end up a complete failure but they often end up average having shown immense promise

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mikecope wrote:

Different times, different generation, the odds are seriously stacked against the lower classes to become as successful as these gentlemen, particularly in America. Stiglitz is spot on, rising inequality produces a reduction in opportunities, particularly for the lower classes, the game has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭nutjobb

Having the balls to take risks.

Not caring what other people think.

Drive

Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We all know the massive success stories and know plenty of those from poorer backgrounds who succeeded from grit.

The reality is that those who come from money are at a massive advantage.

In my class in college there was a nice social mix. Most of us went on to be comfortable, not rich and never will be.

However 3 from our year and 1 from another were pretty well off. 3 years after graduation they were set up for life by their families. Two guys set up a company and the 4 were made directors. (I assume due to a nice start up fund or loan by parents. Perhaps solely the connections). These guys now work very hard and are extremely successful. All loaded, houses in nice areas with range rovers on the drive. Yachts.

Plenty others from that year worked extremely hard. A few are now directors or Irish heads of companies. These few are making nice money now but not even close to the 4 above. Their kids might get a similar start yet.

I can freely admit that I never had the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

Connections is the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭threeball

I know plenty, their main problem is conscience. They tend to be the type of people who like to do things right and not screw anyone over. Alot of successful people I have met down through the years were pig ignorant. The types that would walk over you lying on the ground to pick up a fiver behind you. Its also celebrated in ireland. The sleeveen cute hoor is revered for getting on in life by screwing people. Our political system is filled with people like this.

If you're willing to cut corners and see a few lads suffer in your wake then you'll fly by in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

You don't have to be wealthy,or in a prominent position to be successful.

Donkeys chasing the carrot again I see, being successful is contentment,joy and happiness...not money and jobs etc

There's no secret really,only dont be a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Takes a few traits. Ones I've seen over the years:

Single minded in their drive getting from A to B and throw anyone under the bus to get there. This can include close friends and colleagues.

Private education helps. This shows certain commitment in the home to education and also the business centric values that are instilled in these schools.

Confidence. Don't care what other people think, even if you haven't a clue yourself.

Getting people to do your work - delegate absolutely everything.

Money helps. If you have a safety net that you can get involved in some venture, knowing you can be bailed out, that makes a huge difference.

Advertisement