Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

successful people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

looking at news of a new president of the high court.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609

She came from an exclusive private school and born into wealth.

But wondering what is the main cause that people reach such heights and become successful in their fields. is it:

1. work ethic driven by your parents- forced to study and it becomes a habit
    2. having a natural work ethic- as in you want to study and do well.
    2. good genes that make you more intelligent
    3. connections
    4. higher classes less likely to be in the pub on a sunday afternoon.

i dont know
    any thoughts?

Making a video of herself licking Ray Js lolly made Kim K and her sisters multi millionaires.

Now that is a success story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Since when was a Range Rover on the drive a symbol of success? In many cases they are bought on finance, by people who can barely afford them.
    To me, in many cases it symbolises desperation to keep up with the Jones's. I could well afford to go out and buy a Range Rover but to be honest I'd rather my modest car and to take a shorter working week soon than to drive some hideous thing I don't need around my locality!
    Successful people often don't need or want to show off their wealth, people who know them know they have made it! (I appreciate that probably isn't the case in the situation mentioned above!)

Same, with that attitude you'll probably have the spare change to buy the Range Rover in cash later on in life. I'd view people who buy new Jeeps on PCP finance similar. Taking on an abundance of unnecessary debt which they will probably rollover.

In the likes of Germany and Australia its perfectly acceptable to be seen in a 15 year old car.

Hard work, networking and most importantly knowing a good opportunity and taking it when it arises are big factors in success. Also a troubled/tough upbringing can mean a high level of resilience against the inevitable setbacks that present themselves when on the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Same, with that attitude you'll probably have the spare change to buy the Range Rover in cash later on in life. I'd view people who buy new Jeeps on PCP finance similar. Taking on an abundance of unnecessary debt which they will probably rollover.

In the likes of Germany and Australia its perfectly acceptable to be seen in a 15 year old car.

Hard work, networking and most importantly knowing a good opportunity and taking it when it arises are big factors in success. Also a troubled/tough upbringing can mean a high level of resilience against the inevitable setbacks that present themselves when on the way up.

whats wrong with buying a car on PCP ?

interest rates are tiny , vast majority make good on the contract , splashing out forty grand if you can simply pay 43 k ( or less ) over three years is bad business

Mad_maxx wrote: »

interest rates are tiny , vast majority make good on the contract , splashing out forty grand if you can simply pay 43 k ( or less ) over three years is bad business

To add, some people of wealth will finance a vehicle (especially higher end models) because they can earn more with the funds than the finance company are taking in interest. Obviously I don't mean sticking it in the local CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fms-justice-mary-irvine-to-be-nominated-as-president-of-the-high-court-1.4277609

But wondering what is the main cause that people reach such heights and become successful in their fields. is it:

3. connections

i dont know
    any thoughts?

I wouldn't consider her to be successful. I would hate to have her life.

Successful people. They have their own idea of what their success is.

There are a lot of successful people who are unhappy depressed alcoholics etc. Largely because they actually hate what they do.

Out of your points ...I would pick 1, 2 ...but not 2 the sequel....and 3.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

How to tell a successful family? A son in the priests, a pump in the yard for water and a bull in the field :P Oh how things change!

To be honest I think a lot of it is simply down to personal preferences about what you value and how you like to spend money. The "successful" look at the "unsuccessful" and think they're bad with money management, the unsuccessful look at the successful and think they have much more money than they actually do. Of course some "successful" people just have substantially more wealth, but on a local level most don't.

Me and my friend are in our early 20s and in university, both tipping away at part time jobs all the time and have roughly the same income. He loves objective wealth, wouldn't be caught in anything that wasn't Tommy Hilfiger, has a watch that cost a few hundred etc. I'm not into any of that stuff, I'll spend my money on a few weeks abroad and gladly go wearing Penneys. For him his car is a source of huge pride that he gets a lot of satisfaction from, to me my car is just a car. Different strokes for different folks.

I hoard money. I mean its not just saving. It's WEIRD. I am not stingy I spend on others and I give a lot to charity... ...but I need to realize I NEED material things. Sadly ...I would much prefer to live an ethereal non physical existence.

I HATE FLESH! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mattdhg wrote: »
    How to tell a successful family? A son in the priests, a pump in the yard for water and a bull in the field :P Oh how things change!

To be honest I think a lot of it is simply down to personal preferences about what you value and how you like to spend money. The "successful" look at the "unsuccessful" and think they're bad with money management, the unsuccessful look at the successful and think they have much more money than they actually do. Of course some "successful" people just have substantially more wealth, but on a local level most don't.

Me and my friend are in our early 20s and in university, both tipping away at part time jobs all the time and have roughly the same income. He loves objective wealth, wouldn't be caught in anything that wasn't Tommy Hilfiger, has a watch that cost a few hundred etc. I'm not into any of that stuff, I'll spend my money on a few weeks abroad and gladly go wearing Penneys. For him his car is a source of huge pride that he gets a lot of satisfaction from, to me my car is just a car. Different strokes for different folks.

You're a smart young man. Great to have that perspective already. Best post in this thread.

Chesterton's "The fallacy of success" is a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I just realised the irony of the OP's username :D

I just realised the irony of the OP's username :D
    Did you know HITLER was too lazy to get up....he rarely got up before 2 in the afternoon some days.

In fact he was so lazy during the war they couldn't make decisions because he was asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Successful people spend their money on assets.

Unsuccessful people blow their money on stuff.

A car is a liability. Unless your a taxi driver,

20silkcut wrote: »
    Successful people spend their money on assets.

Unsuccessful people blow their money on stuff.

A car is a liability. Unless your a taxi driver,

vast majority of successful people have a nice fairly new car

viewing debt as bad business is a mistake a lot of people make who dont understand money

if you can buy a car for under 4% interest , it makes more sense to instead use the fifty grand sitting in your bank account for something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Only in Ireland is a persons success measured by the car they drive, (even when on finance). I think we are far too leveraged in personal debt in this country just to keep up with the Joneses.

A car is a depreciating asset. The minute you drive a brand new PCP financed jeep off the forecourt circa E4K is wiped off the value. Makes more sense to buy with cash where possible if you have the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭20silkcut

viewing debt as bad business is a mistake a lot of people make who dont understand money

if you can buy a car for under 4% interest , it makes more sense to instead use the fifty grand sitting in your bank account for something else

Yes but they are not successful because of the car.
    A car is carefully designed and styled to appeal to the ego. Then in this country you have the hideous half year license plate which is only there to further that appeal to the ego.
    Underneath the bonnet it is basically unchanged in the last 40 years.
    I wouldn’t buy a brand new car until I was in a position to easily afford it.
    Spending three or four hundred euro a month on a car is grand and everyone to themselves but there are other things that can be done with such money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know a lot of rich people driving cars that are 20+ year old cars,usually brands like BMW and Mercedes. I used to work for a guy who employed 70 people, he drove a car worth 800 euro. The guy was a multi millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭chicorytip

3. connections

i dont know
    any thoughts?
    Judicial appointments in Ireland are entirely politically connected. Ability or qualifications have nothing to do with it. If you are not a supporter of whatever party or parties are in power you won't have a hope of getting the gig. It's as simple as that.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Only in Ireland is a persons success measured by the car they drive, (even when on finance). I think we are far too leveraged in personal debt in this country just to keep up with the Joneses.

A car is a depreciating asset. The minute you drive a brand new PCP financed jeep off the forecourt circa E4K is wiped off the value. Makes more sense to buy with cash where possible if you have the means.

thats where your wrong , if a car costs 30 k cash but 33 k over three years ( thats above average credit cost ) on finance , it makes sense often to go credit , you wouldnt get a 30 k loan to make home improvements for 33 k over the same period

PCP loans are cheap money, in the rare instance of loosing the car , its not a disaster like loosing your home , its a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Freemasons/Knights of Malta/Ancient Hibernians Order.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know a lot of rich people driving cars that are 20+ year old cars,usually brands like BMW and Mercedes. I used to work for a guy who employed 70 people, he drove a car worth 800 euro. The guy was a multi millionaire.

good luck to him but he is the minority there , not the typical millionaire by any stretch

chicorytip wrote: »
    Judicial appointments in Ireland are entirely politically connected. Ability or qualifications have nothing to do with it. If you are not a supporter of whatever party or parties are in power you won't have a hope of getting the gig. It's as simple as that.

that is very true , a certain FF former minister from donegal was chiefly responsible for the appointment of one of the most unfit persons to ever sit on the bench in the border region , judge ( himself from donegal ) is retired now , as is the politician

guy was a bona fide nutcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

good luck to him but he is the minority there , not the typical millionaire by any stretch

You will find the really rich people drive old cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

A few I know seem to have a strong work ethic or 'drive'

Some of the lazier people in business then end up in trouble down the line , business going bust , tax affairs or even law breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The really rich people have investments not tax-paying jobs.

the really rich dont drive at all , they get driven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

the really rich dont drive at all , they get driven

Some like to drive flash cars

They get chauffered for business alright

No it doesn't. Even if inflation in 10 years will eat some of the value of the cash, at least you'll have something to show at the end of it rather than forking out another 50k+ to replace the rust bucket (which most people would have done long before then!).

If you spent 10-15k on the car and put 30-40k in a 10-year bond or onto an index like the S&P 500 or something, you will more than likely have something to show at the end of your 10 years, even after you pay the tax on it. Well at very least, the odds are better than the nothing you will have from the 50k wasted on a Range Rover!

I suppose I approach this from the "I couldn't give a fk what the neighbours think" camp, as I head off to work on my crappy old bike and drive around in a nearly 10 year old car!

And don't forget - the 50k blown on a RR is probably another year of working, I know which I'd prefer!

No it doesn't. Even if inflation in 10 years will eat some of the value of the cash, at least you'll have something to show at the end of it rather than forking out another 50k+ to replace the rust bucket (which most people would have done long before then!).

If you spent 10-15k on the car and put 30-40k in a 10-year bond or onto an index like the S&P 500 or something, you will more than likely have something to show at the end of your 10 years, even after you pay the tax on it. Well at very least, the odds are better than the nothing you will have from the 50k wasted on a Range Rover!

I suppose I approach this from the "I couldn't give a fk what the neighbours think" camp, as I head off to work on my crappy old bike and drive around in a nearly 10 year old car!

And don't forget - the 50k blown on a RR is probably another year of working, I know which I'd prefer!

Christ, thats a miserable way of thinking. Do you buy yellow pack everything?

Some people view a car as a method of getting from A to B. The same people probably think other people buy cars simply as a trophy. That's likely because they see vehicles as a machine, a classic piece of music as background noise, art as decoration.

Christ, thats a miserable way of thinking. Do you buy yellow pack everything?

Some people view a car as a method of getting from A to B. The same people probably think other people buy cars simply as a trophy. That's likely because they see vehicles as a machine, a classic piece of music as background noise, art as decoration.

No not at all! I am just pointing out that I don't view RR sitting in the drive as being "Wow they must be loaded".

I am definitely in the "The car gets me from A to B" camp though. And even at that, I don't use it near as much as my bike! And if the neighbours think "The poor guy", well I say poor them for their naivety or totally inaccurate judgement!

No not at all! I am just pointing out that I don't view RR sitting in the drive as being "Wow they must be loaded".

I am definitely in the "The car gets me from A to B" camp though. And even at that, I don't use it near as much as my bike! And if the neighbours think "The poor guy", well I say poor them for their naivety or totally inaccurate judgement!

What would be a waste to some is making hours of being in traffic more enjoyable.

In a way you are just as judgemental. :P

It takes all kinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

Add another 100K for a RR..:)

I know both millionaires who drive crappy cars (most have done the large car and now drive modest cars) and not so wealthy individuals who drive very flashy cars.

Some people like investments, some people like cars or boats or houses.

I have friends (a couple) who are probably the wealthiest people I have ever met or know. They have a very modest house in the city drive modest cars in the city and never show wealth there. However, on the farm they SPEND! Massive house and spread and it is where they feel at home and can do what they want.

Keeping up with the Jones is for idiots. If you like something and can afford it, why not buy it?

Most wealth is hidden. Those with the means dont have to show it, those who show it tend to be the new rich.

To get anywhere in life, you have to have determination, take risks, be single minded and love what you do. You have to make sacrifices in your personal life and although it looks like as easy thing to do, most people who are successful sacrifice family life quite a bit.

Advertisement