Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

successful people

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Drumpot wrote: »
    If I’m on my deathbed and have no regrets and can look back fondly at where I spent my most valuable commodity (time) I will consider my life a success.

I think what people imagine success is changes over the course of their lives. I think a person content with what they have and who is in their life is a successful person.

This is spot on. I see so many people chasing a career - but they are putting outrageous hours and commitment into their job. Your talking 10 hour days + , bringing work home at weekends.

They basically have the car, the nanny , two / three great holidays a year. But - I don't think they have real friends or know their kids.

My objective in life has been to earn the most money possible in the least hours.

I get the job satisfaction thing etc - but not at a 60/70 hour week cost during the most healthy part of your life 20 to mid 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't really care if people spend money ....humbleness comes from within and how you treat people...its how you see yourself and your place in the world.

I don't see someone who is a failure as a character but has money as being successful.

They don't impress me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Larbre34 wrote: »
    But lets cut the nonsense, she qualified and excelled as a jurist due to her own hard work. Good luck to her in her demanding new job.

Legal folk - it appears to pain them to use a plain word where a fancier one is to hand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Richard Branson.

Failed miserably at school, yet became very successful as he rose to the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can give a list..
    Any area in Art and Design.
    Solicitors/Barristers
    Makeup artistry
    Any area of television/film. I have a friend who is now living in Australia working for ABC news but couldnt get any small job with TG4 or ITV. Her sister works in Australia for ABC and helped her get a job, she is now really successful in her role.
    Teaching
    Acting/Singing/Modelling/any entertainment work.
    Journalism/Writing
    Many sports careers
    I could literally go on all day.

Did your friend have fluent Irish?

• Advertisement

Richard Branson.

Failed miserably at school, yet rose to the top...

He does get trotted out a bit - one of a handful of those that are an exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Anybody can be successful, its just up to the individual to define success and work to that goal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭threeball

Making a video of herself licking Ray Js lolly made Kim K and her sisters multi millionaires.

Now that is a success story.

She didn't even do a good job of it which would fall in line with most successful people, plenty of neck but no qualities to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

He does get trotted out a bit - one of a handful of those that are an exception rather than the rule.

I thought successful people are a mix

Some bright some not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you sure? A lot of rich/successful people were very bad in school, I used to work with a guy who couldn't sign his own name, he was a millionaire building contractor.

• Advertisement

Chicoso wrote: »
    I thought successful people are a mix

Some bright some not

What not bright person was a success in your opinion?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    you sure? A lot of rich/successful people were very bad in school, I used to work with a guy who couldn't sign his own name, he was a millionaire building contractor.

Depends on your definition of 'a lot'? Were most successful people poor at school or a relatively small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

pgj2015 wrote: »

Hard work though, there are other successes than academic ones plus, there is a lot of luck and timing with being successful in areas other that academic ones.

For all the sucessull developers you here about ther are loads that nearly lost their shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a few obvious factors that have already been mentioned in this thread beyond the "hard work, determination and luck" that most successful people would cite as the keys to their success. The main ones imo are:
    • Coming from a background that gives you the "freedom to fail": a supportive family with the means to support you if necessary.
    • Social capital: whether acquired via family or through a private education, connections to powerful people help one succeed.
    • Timing: being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of a business opportunity is the classic example of this but simply being born at the right time to ensure you have the chance at an education, good employment prospects on graduation, to avoid being drafted into a war you won't come home from etc. count too.
    • Being attractive - study after study has shown that objectively attractive people earn more and progress further in their careers.

Finally, one that hasn't been mentioned but that I've noticed to be a common factor among any of the self-made successes I've met is having good social skills. Successful people tend to be good company. They might stab you in the back down the line but their personable nature will draw you into wanting to do business with them in the first place. People like to do business with people they like.

Advertisement