Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest, but nicest place to buy apartment in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Have you given any consideration to Blanchardstown? Doesn't have the best rep but there is decent value to be had. Very well served by various bus routes to city, shopping centre on your doorstep etc.

2 bed right at the shopping centre

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/blanchardstown/130-westend-village-d15-blanchardstown-dublin-2544732/

Own door 2 bed in Waterville at the other side of the N3

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/blanchardstown/130-westend-village-d15-blanchardstown-dublin-2544732/

+1 for Royal Canal Park also

Tyrrellstown area best avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Have you given any consideration to Blanchardstown? Doesn't have the best rep but there is decent value to be had. Very well served by various bus routes to city, shopping centre on your doorstep etc.

2 bed right at the shopping centre

Own door 2 bed in Waterville at the other side of the N3

+1 for Royal Canal Park also

Tyrrellstown area best avoided

You've linked the same place twice ;) I live in Waterville, have done since almost the beginning of the development. Some clusters are nicer (and better built) than others but it can be a great place to live. I've no intention of moving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When I lived in the USA this is the advice I was given.

Go for a large town within commuting distance to the city center you want to commute to.
    Then for that town, maybe at about half to 1km outside the town center the property prices will be much cheaper.
    The perception is that they are outliers in the town, but exactly the same commute distance to the city, so people tend to think of them differently when house hunting.
    Towns like Swords, Bray, Naas (Naas might be a bit far) come to mind when I think of towns fitting the criteria in Dublin.
    You will find in those towns if you go even 10 minutes walk from the canter apartment prices drop a lot more than they should.
    Lots of other towns too.

Caranica wrote: »
    You've linked the same place twice ;) I live in Waterville, have done since almost the beginning of the development. Some clusters are nicer (and better built) than others but it can be a great place to live. I've no intention of moving anyway.

thanks! meant to post this apartment at SC

I like Waterville, agreed about some blocks nicer than others but all properties are well proportioned and it's all nicely tucked away

thanks! meant to post this apartment at SC

I like Waterville, agreed about some blocks nicer than others but all properties are well proportioned and it's all nicely tucked away

*face palms* third time lucky

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/blanchardstown/33-dursey-row-waterville-blanchardstown-dublin-1720388/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭hunter164

What's wrong with it?

Those apartments are full of damp and badly built.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Sorry guys, I know it's vague I was just looking for town suggestions. My budget is max 250K (Ideally less).

I need transport links into town so I think Baldoyle/Clongriffin/Swords fall into my budget. The offerings are the moment are grim tbh

The rebuilt apartments in Priory Hall were excellent value but all are maybe gone now. Because of their history nobody would touch them but in fact are probably now the best built fully certified apartments in the last few years!. Look good, great price, and transport links on doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Dursey used to be really quiet but I wouldn't buy there now. They are the nearest cluster to the one the council bought entirely (breaching their own policy of 10% social housing) and have had related issues. A friend who lived there since it was built sold up last winter as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Wow, I never thought you'd get so close to the city for that price (quite small, obviously, but done up nicely).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Worry over folks , OP’s beloved FG and new government will build him an apartment in the next year at the affordable prices he is after. Thomas Byrne did a wonderful... er.. job showing up as a human cardboard cutout against Pearse Doherty last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭antimatterx

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Worry over folks , OP’s beloved FG and new government will build him an apartment in the next year at the affordable prices he is after. Thomas Byrne did a wonderful... er.. job showing up as a human cardboard cutout against Pearse Doherty last night.

Mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

What’s your budget going to be?

It’s mental at the minute. You’ve new houses out in hollystown which is in the arse end of nowhere with not even a shop in the development selling 3/4 beds for €420K+. It’s basically Meath.

Even commuter towns like Clane, Kildare are seeing new houses €400K minimum.

Apartments in royal canal park can go for under €300K sometimes if you’re lucky, take a look in there. It’s ideally located 20 mins from city with luas & train within walking distance. Finglas is just across the way but it sits up on a hill away from the dive enough so that it doesn’t attract the riff raff further than the Aldi that was built

Hollystown is hardly the 'arse end of nowhere'... I added a house up there to my portfolio about 3 years ago for the simple reasons that they were well built, spacious and family friendly. The estate doesn't need a shop with shops at Tyrellstown. It also has the added benefit of being close to the main business parks & Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. There's a lot of well paid professionals living up there from what I can see. Transport is not the best but I bought knowing that. I'm happy with the investment.

I hope you didn’t pay €420K.

Considering the 3/4 bed houses in royal canal park aren’t as much it’s a no brainer. Location and transport are 10x better and hollystown is what - 10-15 mins out the road

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

What are the apartments in Santry like around the Temple Woods area? Not too far from the city, airport and plenty of amenities nearby. There always seems to be a good few of them up for sale when I'm doing a search, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

Have a look at this place. It says it's in Glasnevin but its actually Finglas, even being on the edge of Finglas. I just moved into one of the apartments here a few weeks back, its a gated development and very quiet, haven't had any issues at all. Also, a much better location than Swords or Blanch when it comes to getting into town. Close walk to Glasnevin Cemetary, Tolka park and botanic gardens.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/glasnevin/apartment-103-premier-square-glasnevin-dublin-2552774/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

+1 for Royal Canal, lived there for years. Quiet spot with the bus 2 minutes from your door - 20 minutes to O'Connell St. Luas a stroll away in both directions and I believe they are building a new stop in between Ashtown and Broombridge. Canal on your doorstep - lovely walks along there and the Phoenix Park just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

SpencerJC wrote: »
    Have a look at this place. It says it's in Glasnevin but its actually Finglas, even being on the edge of Finglas. I just moved into one of the apartments here a few weeks back, its a gated development and very quiet, haven't had any issues at all. Also, a much better location than Swords or Blanch when it comes to getting into town. Close walk to Glasnevin Cemetary, Tolka park and botanic gardens.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/glasnevin/apartment-103-premier-square-glasnevin-dublin-2552774/

I went to view this place on Saturday. Quiet, it is not. The noise from the dual carriageway when I was standing out on the balcony was deafening.

I do like the development in general though, I have viewed ones at the back that overlook greenery that would be much more pleasant, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

Shelga wrote: »
    I went to view this place on Saturday. Quiet, it is not. The noise from the dual carriageway when I was standing out on the balcony was deafening.

I do like the development in general though, I have viewed ones at the back that overlook greenery that would be much more pleasant, in my opinion.

Yeah good point, These ones are right beside the dual carriageway so noise could be an issue there. It isn't an issue in the apartment I am on the far side so something to consider.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    What are the apartments in Santry like around the Temple Woods area? Not too far from the city, airport and plenty of amenities nearby. There always seems to be a good few of them up for sale when I'm doing a search, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

My ex used to own one.
    She said they were lovely at first, but so many were rented by the council and many of the tenants they put in made life a misery for everyone else that owners started either selling up or renting them out. That was a few years ago. I dont know how they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My ex used to own one.
    She said they were lovely at first, but so many were rented by the council and many of the tenants they put in made life a misery for everyone else that owners started either selling up or renting them out. That was a few years ago. I dont know how they are now.

When I was looking a few years ago there were a good few listed so maybe that's why. It's a pitty because so like the layout of the place and the location is good. I heard some of them were being used as brothels before and people had hassle.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    When I was looking a few years ago there were a good few listed so maybe that's why. It's a pitty because so like the layout of the place and the location is good. I heard some of them were being used as brothels before and people had hassle.

Yeah they are nice apartments.
    Good transport links too. You can even walk home from the city center - i have done.
    Never saw any brothels, but the place was going downhill fast at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

I hope you didn’t pay €420K.

Considering the 3/4 bed houses in royal canal park aren’t as much it’s a no brainer. Location and transport are 10x better and hollystown is what - 10-15 mins out the road

You're right I didn't but to be honest, I looked at a smaller 3 bed house down there which was 50k more than the house I purchased, with miserable parking and a tiny garden. I have lots of options with the house I have. Most of the houses down at Royal Canal are terrace house without side entrances and mixed in with a broad mix of other types of houses / apartments, owner occupied and rented. I'm not competing with that in Hollystown (yet). I don't know what a 3 bed is going for at Royal Canal Park at the moment but I doubt it's any less than 400k for what will always be a smaller inferior house, albeit with better transport. I'll have to agree to disagree on the location, depends what you want.

Hollybeg wrote: »
    You're right I didn't but to be honest, I looked at a smaller 3 bed house down there which was 50k more than the house I purchased, with miserable parking and a tiny garden. I have lots of options with the house I have. Most of the houses down at Royal Canal are terrace house without side entrances and mixed in with a broad mix of other types of houses / apartments, owner occupied and rented. I'm not competing with that in Hollystown (yet). I don't know what a 3 bed is going for at Royal Canal Park at the moment but I doubt it's any less than 400k for what will always be a smaller inferior house, albeit with better transport. I'll have to agree to disagree on the location, depends what you want.

You're exactly right, I rented in RCP for years but I'd never have bought there. The new houses are typical of new builds everywhere now - no garden and houses packed together as tightly as possible. If you can manage it, you want to feel like you have a bit of space, a nice garden to relax in without houses at the back directly overlooking you, or facing apartments for the next 10-30 years plus, etc.

I’ll probably try shift my RCP apartment on once they build this new pelletstown station between broombridge and Ashtown stations. Hoping it adds value as it’ll be only 2 mins walk to the station, if even.

I’ll probably try shift my RCP apartment on once they build this new pelletstown station between broombridge and Ashtown stations. Hoping it adds value as it’ll be only 2 mins walk to the station, if even.

Oh yeah that's a gamechanger alright! I walked hundreds of miles up and down to Ashtown and Broombridge, glad though as it kept me fit :)

Advertisement