Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veranda

Options
  • 12-06-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

has anyone got one? Anywhere in Ireland do them? Starting some research but thought I would ask my boardie friends for advise!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

JJJackal wrote: »
    has anyone got one? Anywhere in Ireland do them? Starting some research but thought I would ask my boardie friends for advise!!

Or a covering for an outdoor cooking area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t think it’s a word used in Ireland too much and verandas are not common at all. Usually an extension of your roof to create the veranda space.

You could check the outdoor.ie site as they do them, and there’s pricing on there too

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a word used in Ireland too much and verandas are not common at all. Usually an extension of your roof to create the veranda space.

You could check the outdoor.ie site as they do them, and there’s pricing on there too

I think i want something you could pull out of roof, maybe not a permanent fixture. Will look at outdoor.ie

I think i want something you could pull out of roof, maybe not a permanent fixture. Will look at outdoor.ie

Looking at that site maybe its an Awning i am looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe look up awnings then see if that might be something you could work with, it’s not a veranda but it might be an alternative of sorts. Good luck, I have wonderful memories of playing on my grandmothers veranda as a child in a warm and sunny country, thousands of miles from Ireland.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Maybe look up awnings then see if that might be something you could work with, it’s not a veranda but it might be an alternative of sorts. Good luck, I have wonderful memories of playing on my grandmothers veranda as a child in a warm and sunny country, thousands of miles from Ireland.

Far cheaper. A veranda is like an extension!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

No help but I did wonder what you were looking for :) My parents had a veranda in their original house that they built in 1960, it was under the main roof, kind of like a sun room without full height walls, railing around it but it was within the area of a standard rectangular bungalow, haven't seen one in years!

I had only recently asked my Dad why they had it as it was unusual even at the time, nice little sun trap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The purpose of a verandah is to keep the sun out of the house, to keep it cool in a hot country. The verandah itself might be sunny at times but the rest of the house will be cast into a permanent shade that would be depressing for most of the Irish year.

Its more of an outdoor covering so you could sit out in the rain or have a bit of shade from the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

looksee wrote: »
    The purpose of a verandah is to keep the sun out of the house, to keep it cool in a hot country. The verandah itself might be sunny at times but the rest of the house will be cast into a permanent shade that would be depressing for most of the Irish year.

It depends on the orientation of the house and where you site the outdoor covering.
    Its more of an outdoor covering so you could sit out in the rain or have a bit of shade from the sun

Something like this is an excellent addition to a house in our climate. As you say it can allow you to sit out on a showery day and shelter you from the sun on a really hot day. It also provides shelter for garden furniture and BBQ etc.

One important thing to watch out for is the direction of the prevailing wind.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    One important thing to watch out for is the direction of the prevailing wind.

Do you think it could lift it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do you think it could lift it off?

I suppose it could if you don't engineer it properly.

I was thinking more of the wind driving the rain into it thus reducing it's usefulness.

Some form of screening would help to shelter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

phormium wrote: »
    No help but I did wonder what you were looking for :) My parents had a veranda in their original house that they built in 1960, it was under the main roof, kind of like a sun room without full height walls, railing around it but it was within the area of a standard rectangular bungalow, haven't seen one in years!

I had only recently asked my Dad why they had it as it was unusual even at the time, nice little sun trap though.

So why did they have it?

The suspense is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Something like this?? I built this last week.

rje66 wrote: »

Thats lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Any chance of some more photos?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Isn't that like a porch?

Ok, what's the difference between a veranda, a porch, a patio and a gazebo? (I'm probably forgetting a few, too). The only one I know for sure is a pergola, which has no roof as such and usually has plants climbing over it. The rest to me are quite similar (if not the same type of basic structure).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

New Home wrote: »
    Isn't that like a porch?

Ok, what's the difference between a veranda, a porch, a patio and a gazebo? (I'm probably forgetting a few, too). The only one I know for sure is a pergola, which has no roof as such and usually has plants climbing over it. The rest to me are quite similar (if not the same type of basic structure).

IMO...

A verandah ought to exist under the main roof pitch. You can't bolt-on a verandah, it has to be designed in.

A porch may exist under the main pitch or have a separate pitch, but it is more of a liminal space, a transition (hence shared etymology with portal). You walk through a porch, you walk over or along a verandah. But it must be attached.

A gazebo is detached, with a roof.

A pergola is usually detached, with a roof structure but no continuous roof. But I guess you can have an attached pergola.

A patio is a tiled surface exposed to the elements. A patio can exist under a pergola but none of the others. If it's under a roof, it's a floor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So when the Americans in films sit on their swings in their (wrap-around) porches, they're really in a veranda?

New Home wrote: »
    So when the Americans in films sit on their swings in their (wrap-around) porches, they're really in a veranda?

Oh, apparently veranda (or rather varanda) is Portuguese for porch.

• Advertisement

Also called stoep in South (and other parts of) Africa. That is quite correct, the veranda is part of the main structure, and despite the arguments above is designed to keep light (and thus heat) out of a house, which is why they are less appropriate in Ireland where we mostly have only just enough light.

A porch (as lumen says) is a smallish area over an outside door, not usually really big enough to have several people sit in it. A gazebo, or a 'lean to' shelter somewhere where it is not blocking windows would be more suitable. Or something with a transparent roof, though of course that will not provide shade in the summer.

After that you are getting into the whole sunroom/conservatory area.

That is very attractive, it does have a transparent roof so would not be considered a veranda. Nice work though!

I think what I am looking for is a glass not retractable roof attached to the wall

An awning would give shelter from sun and some shelter from rain, though any bit of breeze and you would get wet, and as the sun moves you have to move with it to stay under the awning.

Depending on the angle of the awning you could find the shade vanishes altogether at different times of the day. For example on the south or west side of the house as the sun dips down it just goes under the awning (I know, I have an awning over a balcony). You have to put it away at the end of the day as it is susceptible to wind, so its not going to be much use as a shelter for furniture and bbq equipment. And if you have it open on a breezy day the flapping and banging could get on your nerves. A large sun umbrella might be as effective.

You also need a suitable place to fix it where it is not going to get in the way of doors or windows opening, or room vents.

You could put something like rje66's structure, which looks very well, the only obvious limitation being that it will not create shade in summer, but you might be able to adapt it for your particular situation.

A gazebo a few meters away from the house would give you solid roof shade and rain proofing, and partial infill of some of the walls would cut the breeze as well and make a place to put furniture so it will not be constantly soaked.

You could find a length of wall with no windows (or no important windows, like a bathroom for example) and create a veranda type lean-to which would give you shelter without losing light in the house. It might even be possible to replace a door with a glass door, or create a door, to give you direct access, without losing light in the house.

You need to look at which side of the house you want to create this structure on (not the front, and in some cases, not the side). What doors and windows you have to contend with, how much space you have, which way it will be orientated - which tells you a lot about what kind of structure you need. What kind of shelter you want to achieve and what kind of money you want to spend on it. If you could put up a sketch/pic of the situation there might be some useful suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

So why did they have it?

The suspense is killing me!

My mother had notions! :)

Mind you I do remember using it quite a bit, there was a door from the dining room out to it, it didn't block much light mind you as the only room it was in front of was the dining room and it was at the back of the house and had other large windows, we played out there a lot and used it as dining area too.

I will search for a pic, it was nothing like an American style house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think what I am looking for is a glass not retractable roof attached to the wall

I looked into getting one of these a few years back. Found it very hard to source. Veranco was the company I looked into. Dont think they are still doing them. Was pricy enough.

anewme wrote: »
    I looked into getting one of these a few years back. Found it very hard to source. Veranco was the company I looked into. Dont think they are still doing them. Was pricy enough.

How pricy do you recall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

phormium wrote: »
    My mother had notions! :)

Mind you I do remember using it quite a bit, there was a door from the dining room out to it, it didn't block much light mind you as the only room it was in front of was the dining room and it was at the back of the house and had other large windows, we played out there a lot and used it as dining area too.

I will search for a pic, it was nothing like an American style house though.

Your mother was ahead of her time!

I viewed this gaff in Terenure a few years ago, it had quite a memorable glass roofed lean-to at the back.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/california-dreaming-in-terenure-1.1844729

It was quite nicely executed as it spanned what seemed like the stone garden walls which continued out seamlessly from the party walls of the terraced house, and half of it was fully enclosed and the other half open to the back, so it created quite a clever transitional space into the garden.

This pic is of the indoor bit.

image.jpg

The garden was also a triumph, with powered water features almost successfully drowning out the incredible traffic noise from the main road outside.

What's important here is to very carefully match the structure with the site; as a piece of architecture it's much harder to pull off than it seems.

If you get it wrong you'll end up with a space that just feels wrong, uncomfortable and unnatural. Consider using a cheapo gazebo to experiment with position and light.

• Advertisement

Why did they put a radiator outside.....
    Also if I had that in my house that would be a spider hotel !!!!!!!
    Earwigs too.

Advertisement