Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veranda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why did they put a radiator outside.....
    That was the fully enclosed bit. I imagine it had a radiator to stop it being bloody freezing. :pac:

If only we had the climate for this sort of thing.

31e2de0a-a354-46e7-9e09-3e0b539ef6a3-1-10.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, but if we had the climate we'd also have all the mosquitoes and all the other bugs the warmer countries have. And I'm not talking about a handful of earwigs or little spiders.

New Home wrote: »
    Yes, but if we had the climate we'd also have all the mosquitoes and all the other bugs the warmer countries have. And I'm not talking about a handful of earwigs or little spiders.
    I live in Wicklow and get devoured by midges if I go outside in the evening! I once got over 400 midge bites in one evening at Ticknock.

That pic was from a French farmhouse I stayed in a few years ago. I try not to look at the pictures too often, it makes my house seem inadequate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

rje66 wrote: »
    Something like this?? I built this last week.

Would anyone know what the roof is made of.

Planning one of these myself and trying to source a transparent roof material.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Would anyone know what the roof is made of.

Planning one of these myself and trying to source a transparent roof material.
    Something like 5mm UV polycarbonate.

I got a sample the other day from Goldstar Plastics in Walkinstown and ran some tests for scratch and repair using a heat gun.

It's amazing stuff, incredibly strong and optically clear but quite expensive, approx 40 euro per square metre + VAT for 4mm, but I'm guessing 4mm might be too thin to be laid flat with large panels.

Their website shows almost everything out of stock so it's worth emailing with precise measurements and asking for advice.

There's also 365 (Access) plastics in Meath.

In the end I decided to go for triple glazing instead of polycarbonate for various reasons, but at approx 40kg per square meter that takes a lot more engineering for a roof although the IGUs are surprisingly reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

New Home wrote: »

We have plenty of Mosquitoes in Ireland unfortunately, that said I don't think it is going to stop me from replacing my deck with a covered patio.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you can walk to your front gate and back to your front door with less than 35 painful bites, you're doing well. Ireland might have plenty of mosquitoes, but it's nothing compared to countries that are warm and humid.
    Now, midges in boggy areas are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

You would be able to set up a covered patio to deter them though?

More than covered it'd have to be enclosed, like a sunroom, to stop them from getting in. Otherwise it doesn't make much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Would any of those deterrent devices make a difference?

For mosquitoes? No. They may zap a few, but that's that. The plug-in insecticide works, but again, in enclosed soaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

A quick google and you'll find Senator windows do them in Dublin and roomoutdoors.ie in Limerick. I contacted the Limerick one but have yet to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Noodles81 wrote: »
    A quick google and you'll find Senator windows do them in Dublin and roomoutdoors.ie in Limerick. I contacted the Limerick one but have yet to hear back.

I contacted Senator last year and the prices were SCARY!

Advertisement