Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Smoked some top rump roast today, it cooked quicker than I had expected... Only brought it up to 135f tho. I am used to 7-8hr pork shoulders.

It is wrapped now, and I will slice some in an hour and see the results.

Good result

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

mloc123 wrote: »
    Good result

Looks pretty tasty to me.

Looks pretty tasty to me.

Yup, juicy and tender... But made an arse of the time so it was ready about 3 hours to early. Gonna have to heat some for dinner now in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Apologies, posted this also in the charcoal thread. Any justification for the price difference between the KJ classic 1 and 2, interested in any views on this, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The three main things that I can think of are:

Air lift hinge - much easier to open the lid
    Different gasket - supposedly more hard wearing
    Different top vent - the kontrol tower stays in position when you open the lid whereas the daisy wheel can loss its setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The three main things that I can think of are:

Air lift hinge - much easier to open the lid
    Different gasket - supposedly more hard wearing
    Different top vent - the kontrol tower stays in position when you open the lid whereas the daisy wheel can loss its setting

You can replace the daisy wheel with the kontrol tower on the classic 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Did anyone end up getting a small ceramic bbq in Lidl last year? If so how has it held up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've had a large Big Green Egg for about 8-9 years now.

It's had a few aftermarket bits and pieces over the years and it's due a few more changes now, thought I'd summarise them.

- The ceramic conveggtor was replaced with a cast iron plate setter. The cast iron is a lot easier to manage in and out and has a high level of durability. Can't recall but I think my ceramic one broke, but it's quite a while ago.

- Chimney cap was repaced with the stainless steel Smokeware chimney cap. No more rain going down through the daisy wheel of the regular chimney cap, but more importantly added anti corrosion.

I did a bit of a look over it today and decided to order -

- Replacement heavy grill grate from Smokeware, although this wasn't an essential.

- Replacement charcoal grate for the base... The one that came is cracked and flaking and feels like it is about to collapse. I've ordered a replacement fishbones charcoal grate from Smokeware which is meant to have the added benefit of reducing the likelihood of ash clogging up the holes.

The gasket needs to be replaced again also, but that's to be expected this far in.

Overall happy enough. I

If I could go back I would not have set the Egg into a wooden table, I would have probably just gone for some kind of stainless steel trestle type effort.

If I could go back I would not have set the Egg into a wooden table, I would have probably just gone for some kind of stainless steel trestle type effort.

Is the table starting to rot ?
    Im going to make or have made a cover for my oven/table before next winter.

https://clonmelcovers.ie/gallery/leisure/

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

I've had a large Big Green Egg for about 8-9 years now.

It's had a few aftermarket bits and pieces over the years and it's due a few more changes now, thought I'd summarise them.

- The ceramic conveggtor was replaced with a cast iron plate setter. The cast iron is a lot easier to manage in and out and has a high level of durability. Can't recall but I think my ceramic one broke, but it's quite a while ago.

- Chimney cap was repaced with the stainless steel Smokeware chimney cap. No more rain going down through the daisy wheel of the regular chimney cap, but more importantly added anti corrosion.

I did a bit of a look over it today and decided to order -

- Replacement heavy grill grate from Smokeware, although this wasn't an essential.

- Replacement charcoal grate for the base... The one that came is cracked and flaking and feels like it is about to collapse. I've ordered a replacement fishbones charcoal grate from Smokeware which is meant to have the added benefit of reducing the likelihood of ash clogging up the holes.

The gasket needs to be replaced again also, but that's to be expected this far in.

Overall happy enough. I

Is Smokeware the US stockist?
    How much is shipping/taxes to Ireland?

• Advertisement

Is the table starting to rot ?
    Im going to make or have made a cover for my oven/table before next winter.

https://clonmelcovers.ie/gallery/leisure/

Basically, weather getting to it, yes.

I oiled it the first few years and went through phases of covering it but at the end of the day it’s been eight years and it was probably always going to have a lifespan.

I’m sure I’ll get another four out of it!

TheRef wrote: »
    Is Smokeware the US stockist?
    How much is shipping/taxes to Ireland?

Smokeware is US based but they do have retailers abroad, including the UK.

In this instance I ordered direct though and the shipping was $66. It’s already on its way, pretty good service.

I rarely get hit for import duty / tax coming from the US but maybe this time I will be.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ordered a new Kamado off https://www.kamadoluna.com/ . Will report back once it arrives!

Brother in law ordered one off them a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

awec wrote: »
    Ordered a new Kamado off https://www.kamadoluna.com/ . Will report back once it arrives!

Brother in law ordered one off them a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

I've just done the same!

I've just done the same!

Ordered a 24" on Sunday and it arrived this morning. Very quick service! Came on a pallet and weighs a tonne, I have absolutely no hope of lifting it by myself.

Depending on access to your gaff you may need to borrow a few helpers to get it into the garden!

Mines still sitting in the boxes, will let you know once I get it together. Also ordered a petromax cast iron chicken stand with it and a cast iron full grill.

Put it together this afternoon, very happy with it. Quality seems very good, it's good and sturdy.

Smokeware order out for delivery today. Fast, in fairness.

Would something like these be suitable as a starter for a Kamado? They say odourless and non toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Put it together this afternoon, very happy with it. Quality seems very good, it's good and sturdy.

Mine just arrived this morning, will assemble it this evening. It's biiig.

Would something like these be suitable as a starter for a Kamado? They say odourless and non toxic.

They look like they should be fine.

I use these and find them spot on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Eco-Wood-Firelighters-Kindling/dp/B07FF436N5?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Try this....twist/fold up some kitchen paper, pour a good bit of cooking oil over the kitchen paper to get it good and soaked with the oil. Light it and it will keep lighting for a good while. no odor or chemicals...boom

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Ordered a 24" on Sunday and it arrived this morning. Very quick service! Came on a pallet and weighs a tonne, I have absolutely no hope of lifting it by myself.

Depending on access to your gaff you may need to borrow a few helpers to get it into the garden!

Mines still sitting in the boxes, will let you know once I get it together. Also ordered a petromax cast iron chicken stand with it and a cast iron full grill.

Still waiting for my Bono from Higgins since February. Is yours a Luna? thinking about cancelling at this stage, as I'm sure they are nearly identical

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Try this....twist/fold up some kitchen paper, pour a good bit of cooking oil over the kitchen paper to get it good and soaked with the oil. Light it and it will keep lighting for a good while. no odor or chemicals...boom

I read this on here somewhere... Buy a heatgun. It is so much easier for lighting a kamado.

Still waiting for my Bono from Higgins since February. Is yours a Luna? thinking about cancelling at this stage, as I'm sure they are nearly identical

Yea mine is a Luna.

My brother in law up north ordered his on Saturday afternoon and they delivered it to him Saturday evening. :eek:

I think aside from the Kamado Joes they are all probably almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Yea mine is a Luna.

My brother in law up north ordered his on Saturday afternoon and they delivered it to him Saturday evening. :eek:

I think aside from the Kamado Joes they are all probably almost identical.

Wow! Same day delivery?! Class. I’m still waiting on my kamado bono.

Wow! Same day delivery?! Class. I’m still waiting on my kamado bono.

You and me both, brother

So what has everyone been cooking? I haven’t ventured beyond ribs (pork and beef) yet on the low and slow side of things but think I need to expand my menu before everyone gets bored of it!

I’m loving it so far, really glad I made the purchase.

So what has everyone been cooking? I haven’t ventured beyond ribs (pork and beef) yet on the low and slow side of things but think I need to expand my menu before everyone gets bored of it!

Gonna try smoke a chicken this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

First cook was a Jacobs ladder - I've a Kamado Joe so used the sloroller
    Its brillant. Once I got it to temp it stayed stable the whole cook

Ive done a few spatchcocked chickens - very tasty

But by far my favourite so far is chicken shawarma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I have made steak (reverse searing is amazing), all kinds of pork, brisket, few types of chicken (beer can method was the favourite). Probably going to smoke a turkey soon.

Out of all them, brisket was the best. Only problem was there was a lot of it, so it took a while to eat through it all and we did get bored of it. I made Cuban pork shoulder and used it for cubano sandwiches - that was amazing.

Advertisement