Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

foodaholic wrote: »

But by far my favourite so far is chicken shawarma

Have you a recipe for this?

• Administrators Posts: 54,058 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have made steak (reverse searing is amazing), all kinds of pork, brisket, few types of chicken (beer can method was the favourite). Probably going to smoke a turkey soon.

Out of all them, brisket was the best. Only problem was there was a lot of it, so it took a while to eat through it all and we did get bored of it. I made Cuban pork shoulder and used it for cubano sandwiches - that was amazing.

Recipes please!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I cooked a rake of stuff on my new Luna yesterday. Smoked pork rack and a whole chicken, then a load of chicken wings and some boerewors, and then cranked the heat up to finish the wings, do a few burgers, grilled mushrooms etc.

Very impressed by how quickly it gets up to temp, how well it holds temps, and how it self-cleans after you’re done. Very economical on charcoal too.

I was just using the built-in thermometer to keep an eye on temperature, there were a couple of spikes and the smoked meats ended up slightly over, but just a matter of getting the knack of the vents. Will be using probes to monitor temps for future cooks anyway.

TOP TIP for those with the mini ceramic BBQs- you really need to start with fresh good large high heat coals every time- clear out the grate totally first of ALL small coals- the smaller size Kamados are a lot less forgiving in terms of achieving high heat levels so everything has to be bang on- that’s my experience anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Picked up a kamado bono minimo 40cm in Lithunanian shop in Drogheda yesterday for my daughter. Cooked up a dozen chicken thighs with a small piece of oak in the coals. I was very impressed with the control of heat and the finished chicken was fantastic.
    I see that Lidl were selling the smaller grills in the UK on Thursday last for £99 so maybe they will be selling here in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

My kamado is landing tomorrow. Then customs and I'll have it next week. Problem is that I'm redoing my patio next week, so the box will stay unopened for an extra 7 days. Talk about bad timing! At least I will be able to do its maiden cook on a virgin patio. :D

Doing a couple of racks of ribs on the Kamado today, this time with a proper temperature probe (‘inkbird’ brand off Amazon, connects to your phone via Bluetooth so you can monitor from the couch!). Temperature holding incredibly steady once the vents are dialled in. Big improvement over my old ProQ smoker.

Also highly recommend Franklin BBQ for those looking to understand the theory behind wood / smoke, and tips on rubs, prepping, cooking, serving etc. He uses offset smokers rather than kamado, but otherwise lots of useful info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Also highly recommend Franklin BBQ for those looking to understand the theory behind wood / smoke, and tips on rubs, prepping, cooking, serving etc. He uses offset smokers rather than kamado, but otherwise lots of useful info.

Did you do the master class?

hargo wrote: »
    Did you do the master class?

Nope, have been tempted to sign up for a few of them though… The book’s probably a handier reference than video though.

I’ve got a brisket going at the moment. It’s thinner than the typical American ones, so internal temperature climbed quite quickly and now in the stall after about 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I’ve got a brisket going at the moment. It’s thinner than the typical American ones, so internal temperature climbed quite quickly and now in the stall after about 2 hours.

I've often thought about the difference between grass-fed Irish cattle and US grain-fed cattle and how that relates to the kind of brisket on the market here.

In the US you can buy the full packer brisket and the thickness and level of fat cap makes it significantly more favourable for long slow cooking. To add to that I would speculate that you've got a fattier cow to start with, and I would also speculate whether or not there's more likely to be something else pumping up the size of the piece.

Whereas in Ireland if you get a brisket from Higgins the beef is undoubtedly high quality but I think the relative thinness makes it tricker to avoid drying out.

The last brisket I bought and probably the best one I've gotten so far in Ireland was from Donabate Dexter (No affiliation / association to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Mods can you consider merging the ceramic bbq thread with the charcoal bbq thread??

Most of the ceramics guys are posting in the charcoal bbq thread anyway

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mods can you consider merging the ceramic bbq thread with the charcoal bbq thread??

Most of the ceramics guys are posting in the charcoal bbq thread anyway

Thanks

I’m not sure about my fellow mods but having split them off last year, I believe there is sufficient difference in each to warrant their continued separation.

The Gloomster!

Ordered one of the Hannon's salt aged sharing striploin and a rack of short ribs and did them both at the weekend.

The striploin turned out very well, reverse seared it. Ended up slightly over though as I got too close to the target temperature before the searing part, was aiming for medium rare, got medium / medium well in parts.

Ribs I tried to do low and slow. Was aiming for like 120/125 but struggled to get below 140. Ideally would have had it down at like 110 but knew that would take too long. My theory is I used 2 starters at the start, which may have lit too much charcoal and therefore caused the temp to rise. Even with vents fully closed temp was rising. Either that or I have an air leak.

I think I'll try pork ribs next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Does anyone have a Kamado Joe Jr?

I'm looking at buying my first BBQ. Was looking at getting a Weber Master Touch, but the KJ Jr looks very interesting. I don't need a very large size grill as my wife is veggie and the baby won't be having BBQ food for quite some time, it'll really be for me an a few friends. I'm very interesting in smoking meat and fish as well as grilling burgers/sausages, this appears to be a good all rounder if you don't need to feed a lot of people at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭lisij

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'm looking at buying my first BBQ. Was looking at getting a Weber Master Touch, but the KJ Jr looks very interesting. I don't need a very large size grill as my wife is veggie and the baby won't be having BBQ food for quite some time, it'll really be for me an a few friends. I'm very interesting in smoking meat and fish as well as grilling burgers/sausages, this appears to be a good all rounder if you don't need to feed a lot of people at the same time.

Im selling mine, PM for details

Yep- ask away what you want to know

The diameter is about 34-35 CM cooking area - so you can measure that out on paper and then see what sort of food will fit on it.

You can do 3-4 average steaks but like one, maybe 2 big T bones at the same time.

I've done low and slow ribs (pork and beef) but either just as a portion for 2 or else as part of a wider BBQ food offering. I've also hot smoked salmon over a few hours but you wouldn't fit a full side of salmon on it without cutting it up.

It's a great BBQ- it comes with a heat diffuser plate along with a metal triangle holder for it - that's essentially what's missing from the cheaper small ceramics you'd see in the likes of Lidil - also, it's cooking area is bigger by a few inches which makes all the difference as they say :p

BUT:

You'll find the Weber touch far more versatile if entertaining friends - I have a few BBQ's including a Weber Gas so i do have choices based on numbers, weather, mood.

Had trouble in the past getting high heat on my Kamado until i changed coals a few months ago. However on Saturday, while the Kamado was heating up, I decided to back indoors and do a few things- my mind probably thinking it would take ages to heat up. Went out 15 minutes later- the lovely Ferrari red colour of the Kamado Joe Jnr changed to a dark blood red :D Temperature was off the scale- I'd say well over 1000 degrees - whoops :D

It all calmed down after a while and thankfully no damage done but just shows you, you need to watch regularly as it gets up to temperature. Colour has changed back since, and apparently this is quite normal but wouldn't recommend getting the temps I got at the weekend - you're bound to smash something eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

awec wrote: »
    Ordered one of the Hannon's salt aged sharing striploin and a rack of short ribs and did them both at the weekend.

The striploin turned out very well, reverse seared it. Ended up slightly over though as I got too close to the target temperature before the searing part, was aiming for medium rare, got medium / medium well in parts.

Ribs I tried to do low and slow. Was aiming for like 120/125 but struggled to get below 140. Ideally would have had it down at like 110 but knew that would take too long. My theory is I used 2 starters at the start, which may have lit too much charcoal and therefore caused the temp to rise. Even with vents fully closed temp was rising. Either that or I have an air leak.

I think I'll try pork ribs next.

The problem is you are cooking in C...change to F and it may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yep- ask away what you want to know

The diameter is about 34-35 CM cooking area - so you can measure that out on paper and then see what sort of food will fit on it.

You can do 3-4 average steaks but like one, maybe 2 big T bones at the same time.

I've done low and slow ribs (pork and beef) but either just as a portion for 2 or else as part of a wider BBQ food offering. I've also hot smoked salmon over a few hours but you wouldn't fit a full side of salmon on it without cutting it up.

It's a great BBQ- it comes with a heat diffuser plate along with a metal triangle holder for it - that's essentially what's missing from the cheaper small ceramics you'd see in the likes of Lidil - also, it's cooking area is bigger by a few inches which makes all the difference as they say :p

BUT:

You'll find the Weber touch far more versatile if entertaining friends - I have a few BBQ's including a Weber Gas so i do have choices based on numbers, weather, mood.

That’s just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Could you do a spatchcock chicken on it?

• Advertisement

That’s just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Could you do a spatchcock chicken on it?

oh god yes- i've done full chickens and spatchcock many a time no problem - took about 40 mins at around 200c - that's where the heat diffuser plate comes into play compared to the cheaper ones- you get it to 150-200c and once there it's like an oven for hours- except that it's lovely and BBQ smokey flavour but yet very moist. So definitely you can do spatchcock chicken or ordinary as the height of the dome will take that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Had trouble in the past getting high heat on my Kamado until i changed coals a few months ago. However on Saturday, while the Kamado was heating up, I decided to back indoors and do a few things- my mind probably thinking it would take ages to heat up. Went out 15 minutes later- the lovely Ferrari red colour of the Kamado Joe Jnr changed to a dark blood red :D Temperature was off the scale- I'd say well over 1000 degrees - whoops :D

It all calmed down after a while and thankfully no damage done but just shows you, you need to watch regularly as it gets up to temperature. Colour has changed back since, and apparently this is quite normal but wouldn't recommend getting the temps I got at the weekend - you're bound to smash something eventually.

What charcoal did you change to?

What charcoal did you change to?

This:

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/globaltic-2-box-offer?_pos=5&_sid=0e88aa553&_ss=r

Can't recommend highly enough- big chunks, high heat-

and i have some crappy stuff from last year that's absolutely perfect for 100-120 deg- it just won't get hotter than that with a heat diffuser in place so great for the low and slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

They look like they should be fine.

I use these and find them spot on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Eco-Wood-Firelighters-Kindling/dp/B07FF436N5?ref_=ast_sto_dp

+1 for these, quick delivery too

Getting back to briskets, I just wanted to mention that I've been looking around and it seems that there are a few UK vendors doing US-style "full packer" briskets. They do a thick, even flat brisket with the fat cap left intact for you to trim as you like.

I mentioned that in Ireland the best one I've come across is from Donabate Dexter, although it's only 2kg. Higgins does heavier ones if you want, and the beef is probably even higher quality, but I feel like they all were relatively thin (I've gotten 2-3 of them).

I was looking around and it seems that Pallas Foods will do a full packer brisket that's 6-7kg in weight, which sounds ideal, but they're hard to buy from.

Another one that looks interesting is James Whelan Butchers, they have a 4kg one listed for 28 euro.

Higgins had a few US full packers in stock, but they were 135-155 euro which is a bit premium for me. Also disagree with shipping beef round the world to Ireland considering our local stock.

Since seems a reasonable follow-on, here is my brisket approach.

With high quality brisket there is an argument to use only a salt and pepper rub, Texas style, and equal quantities of both. Personally I like the Jessie Pryles Black Rub which is available in Higgins and elsewhere but to each their own. I definitely feel like since Irish beef actually does taste great recipes calling for BBQ sauce glazes are unnecessary and arguably ruin the meat (Although still tasty).

I set up the BGE as you'd expect, for indirect heat cooking, and although the Pitt Cue Co. recipe book suggests smoking the brisket at 115 I typically trust the BGE to cruise for a long, long time when it is up more towards 125. I set up a pan of water in the BGE to try to avoid dryness.

Although internal target cooking temperature is 88-95 or so, and certainly can take 10+ hours potentially, I tend to use a 'by feel' test with a skewer to tell me if the brisket is ready or not. I want to be able to slice it against the grain and have it hold together, I don't want it to end up either "pulled beef" or dried out.

Drying is a risk and for me personally once it gets to a stall, 70-80, I do a foil crutch and I chuck in a small amount of apple juice, like a tbsp.

Although properly cooked brisket should get significant moistness from the high fat content, and intact fat cap, I do serve with with Pitt Cue Co. mother sauce, which is just an amazing recipe, and can be found here. This works with everything. I make a full 2l and freeze a good bit of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/perfect-pickle-sauce-recipe-pitt-cue-co

At first glance it can seem like a pain but it's quite a straightforward recipe. I've subbed port for the madeira but you could also use apple juice, although alcohol does add something of a depth. Can sub maple syrup for molasses as needs be.

I serve brisket with soft buns and maybe a slaw, and the mother sauce and whatever other sauces I have knocking around. The second time I serve it I put it with mashed potato, usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

With high quality brisket there is an argument to use only a salt and pepper rub, Texas style, and equal quantities of both. Personally I like the Jessie Pryles Black Rub which is available in Higgins and elsewhere but to each their own. I definitely feel like since Irish beef actually does taste great recipes calling for BBQ sauce glazes are unnecessary and arguably ruin the meat (Although still tasty).

I set up the BGE as you'd expect, for indirect heat cooking, and although the Pitt Cue Co. recipe book suggests smoking the brisket at 115 I typically trust the BGE to cruise for a long, long time when it is up more towards 125. I set up a pan of water in the BGE to try to avoid dryness.

Although internal target cooking temperature is 88-95 or so, and certainly can take 10+ hours potentially, I tend to use a 'by feel' test with a skewer to tell me if the brisket is ready or not. I want to be able to slice it against the grain and have it hold together, I don't want it to end up either "pulled beef" or dried out.

Drying is a risk and for me personally once it gets to a stall, 70-80, I do a foil crutch and I chuck in a small amount of apple juice, like a tbsp.

Although properly cooked brisket should get significant moistness from the high fat content, and intact fat cap, I do serve with with Pitt Cue Co. mother sauce, which is just an amazing recipe, and can be found here. This works with everything. I make a full 2l and freeze a good bit of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/perfect-pickle-sauce-recipe-pitt-cue-co

At first glance it can seem like a pain but it's quite a straightforward recipe. I've subbed port for the madeira but you could also use apple juice, although alcohol does add something of a depth. Can sub maple syrup for molasses as needs be.

I serve brisket with soft buns and maybe a slaw, and the mother sauce and whatever other sauces I have knocking around. The second time I serve it I put it with mashed potato, usually.

Amazing book.

Do you put in any wood for the smoking?

awec wrote: »
    Do you put in any wood for the smoking?

Personally, no, I don't bother.

I don't have a strong view on it either way, but for me I am happy with how just using a decent quality lumpwood turns out.

I used to order in bulk from the Oxford Charcoal Company but since Brexit I've been shopping around like everyone else.

• Advertisement

Great post well done! I can totally recommend James Whelan briskets but not at all cheap so a special occasion for me but thoroughly worth it

Advertisement