Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

:P
    Timetabling will have to be redone if double classes to be maximised as well?

I fail to see how any school could have done timetables in the first instance without advice on what the requirement for social distancing would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

It's a bit early to react to the leaks so far but a few observations.

The unions need to shut the **** up and let the flaws in the 'plan' become obvious to even the most half-witted journalists. Let them pick holes in it. That clown in the ASTI who likes his soundbites should be locked in a room for a couple of weeks.

I agree with this. Most parents will not be happy with no SD and no compulsory masks. Let the journalists ask the questions and get views of parents. Unions will be asked for comment, but choose words carefully, otherwise all the headlines will be ‘unions preventing schools from opening fully’.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Does anyone else have rooms where nothing is movable? Teachers desks, student desks (old fashioned fixed rows), cupboards etc are all nailed down? I'm pretty worried about it.

I don't anyway but it shows the reality that we are dealing with 700+ sets of problems across individual schools with different set-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Rosita wrote: »

I fail to see how any school could have done timetables in the first instance without advice on what the requirement for social distancing would be.

Timetables done since May in our place, be silly not to. I know what groups I have to teach next year so I can prep before I go back.

[quote="alroley;114145474

I don't feel comfortable circulating around the room like I used to anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, those days are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Timetables done since May in our place, be silly not to. I know what groups I have to teach next year so I can prep before I go back.

Well given they have to be redone...

Well given they have to be redone...

Moving a few doubles around easier than doing from scratch? It takes a long time to even assign correct amount of class time and class periods to each teacher, least now they just move to create doubles within an existing framework

Mary might lose her half day on a friday

But how did the Principal know what the social distancing requirements would be or what number of teachers would be available? Or maybe even, in some cases, what subjects could be offered.

Every school could normally do their timetables very early but this year was always going to be different. Seems like a block of work that was always going to be in vain.

I'd assume finalised timetables won't be available until sometime in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

I was informed last week that ours was done: 3 variations for no sd, 2m and 1m sd. Didn’t factor in the need for doubles however...

Every school could normally do their timetables very early but this year was always going to be different. Seems like a block of work that was always going to be in vain.

Not really. Timetabling is as much about making sure you have enuf teachers to cover subject requirements. That teachers on job share have correct hours etc and then advertising for teachers you think you need, obviously covering for subjects that subs are hard to get within existing staff arrangements before you go looking.

Once timetable up and running everyone has correct hours, subjects have required tuition time, you can move people to create double classes then, wouldnt be wise to wait to do it all now. Especially when the most likely outcome was regular teaching hours for everyone.

• Advertisement

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I was informed last week that ours was done: 3 variations for no sd, 2m and 1m sd. Didn’t factor in the need for doubles however...

There you go. It's a moving target. And it'll move again if we get this flood of teachers and buildings Varadker thinks we're getting.

[quote="jimmytwotimes 2013;114145924"

Especially when the most likely outcome was regular teaching hours for everyone.[/quote]

I think we are still a long way from being confident on this. Some schools simply will not be able to deliver this. I'm not sure anything is "likely". But that will emerge over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just logging back on now. Where is the 1m where possible for secondary schools coming from? That’s an insane proposal and not what was in the Irish times

Listening to newstalk this morning and the two tweets read out were a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bella Bee

First Class teacher here. Screen not going to be of much use to me - there's a teacher chair & desk in my room but I never get to sit at it during school hours. The thoughts of a mask are not appealing either. I would feel safer for my pupils and colleagues with taking temperature before school starts. Policy & permission needed on that for sure. We've supportive parents so I'm hopeful.

I think we are still a long way from being confident on this. Some schools simply will not be able to deliver this. I'm not sure anything is "likely". But that will emerge over time.

Back in 4.5 wks, schools have to have some kinda prep done, can't leave it all to last minute. Alter from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭combat14

Bella Bee wrote: »
    First Class teacher here. Screen not going to be of much use to me - there's a teacher chair & desk in my room but I never get to sit at it during school hours. The thoughts of a mask are not appealing either. I would feel safer for my pupils and colleagues with taking temperature before school starts. Policy & permission needed on that for sure. We've supportive parents so I'm hopeful.

taking temperature is a great idea .. done in kildare village for all shoppers and lots of shops too

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Also thinking of younger primary classes, teachers need to be mobile around the classroom - the children often need clarification on which books, pages, what they're being asked to do, and afterwards corrections so the teacher can spot anyone struggling.
    So what sounds like "we're protecting the teachers" would actually be impossible to implement at that level, with a class of 25 five and six year olds for example.

was in kildare village yesterday.. not let into the van shop.. when asked told there was a 3 hour virtual queue ..

there was absolutely no one in the shop !!!!

serious double standards for health and safety by the sounds of it in schools .......

Just logging back on now. Where is the 1m where possible for secondary schools coming from? That’s an insane proposal and not what was in the Irish times

Yeah, the reports say 2m where possible and at least 1 metre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

morebabies wrote: »
    Also thinking of younger primary classes, teachers need to be mobile around the classroom - the children often need clarification on which books, pages, what they're being asked to do, and afterwards corrections so the teacher can spot anyone struggling.
    So what sounds like "we're protecting the teachers" would actually be impossible to implement at that level, with a class of 25 five and six year olds for example.

This holds true for all levels of primary - There is constant moving around the class.

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »
    was in kildare village yesterday.. not let into the van shop.. when asked told there was a 3 hour virtual queue ..

there was absolutely no one in the shop !!!!

serious double standards for health and safety by the sounds of it in schools .......

Oh yeah, it's astonishing when you see the floorspace of some shops and the restrictions they are imposing and then see what being suggested for schools. In reality schools will end up with large numbers being supervised in halls for large chunks of the days, or else having classes in on certain days/times only. Meanwhile the delusion of normality will be maintained.

Oh yeah, it's astonishing when you see the floorspace of some shops and the restrictions they are imposing and then see what being suggested for schools. In reality schools will end up with large numbers being supervised in halls for large chunks of the days, or else having classes in on certain days/times only. Meanwhile the delusion of normality will be maintained.

exactly was in mcondalds foodcourt near athlone the weekend too and there was absolute chaos trying to do something as simple as order food.. and this is based on successful multinational company not the dept. of education organising things

how are food canteens going to work in schools is an absolute mystery ..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

combat14 wrote: »
    exactly was in mcondalds foodcourt near athlone the weekend too and there was absolute chaos trying to do something as simple as order food.. and this is based on successful multinational company not the dept. of education organising things

how are food canteens going to work in schools is an absolute mystery ..!!

they won't tbh, it'll be bring your own lunch and eat in the classroom

very hard to do that as each class will have to be supervised during lunch too

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Let's hope this will just be for a year. These are extraordinary times. The hope is that medication is on stream within a year.
    Schools are generally pretty chaotic places at the best of times. Teachers have to swallow a lot of bull****.
    Pretending to educate some children when we are really de facto baby-sitting because the kid was allowed do what he/she wanted at home or not given enough resource.
    Dealing with an ever increasing list of psychological disorders in children. Many of which are real but others just seem made up on a whim to suit small groups. But if you ask the state for psychologists - none to be found.
    Then society won't regulate social Media or other mediums which are creating or exasperating conditions.
    So schools are by their very natures repositories of irrationality but I fear this year will only give more license to the ' what about the children' brigade who excuse bloody everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Our pupils get lunches as part of the School Meals Scheme. Hopefully that does not become compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

What time is the big reveal at?

Blondini wrote: »
    What time is the big reveal at?

17.30 after cabinet meeting and in time for news coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i cannot wait for the 6pm news :rolleyes: im already preparing myself to not see my elderly parents for most of the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

i cannot wait for the 6pm news :rolleyes: im already preparing myself to not see my elderly parents for most of the year

Yeah I’ve already had this discussion with my parents. Christmas is going to be very hard but mum is immunocomprised

Advertisement