Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

Yeah I’ve already had this discussion with my parents. Christmas is going to be very hard but mum is immunocomprised

that's not good enough why are teachers and students health and safety being compromised to such an unacceptable extent...??

why can shops have virtual queues with no one in the shop and schools all have to pile in with no social distancing or safe guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

For secondary why can't they have half the students in on alternate weeks. Cover a lot of content while in school and on their week at home they do practice/written work etc. and are able to ask questions on google classroom if they need help.

I know this may not work for all subjects, but at least it would be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I would suggest any teacher nearing retirement now to go......if they can, or take earily retirement . I think the hassle and potential health risks at the end of the day are not worth it. Its like the parents that knowingly send their kids to school with head lice and strep........Will there be a mechanism where a teacher that feels health compromised be able to take time off without reprocussions?

No mention of required form filling re covid 19 etc which will in itself increase the workload, now coupled with the upcoming autumn and winter flu season will really put pressure on the teachers. There wont be enough money to go around simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

combat14 wrote: »
    that's not good enough why are teachers and students health and safety being compromised to such an unacceptable extent...??

why can shops have virtual queues with no one in the shop and schools all have to pile in with no social distancing or safe guards.

Because we have under invested in education for years, have the largest class sizes in Europe so would cost them too much to do it right and have a media/government rhetoric that all of this is teachers faults and we are just whiners who won’t do our jobs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

i cannot wait for the 6pm news :rolleyes: im already preparing myself to not see my elderly parents for most of the year

Can you not meet them in their garden? That's what I've been doing and what I plan to continue to do once I'm back in the classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Jambalaya wrote: »
    Can you not meet them in their garden? That's what I've been doing and what I plan to continue to do once I'm back in the classroom.

November- February in the garden, where you living?

I'm moving there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mine live three hours away. Maybe a hotel visit and then we can talk over a wall.

Finding it really hard to be positive today. I’m depressed at the prospect of what’s being discussed and some of the media rhetoric makes me want to just leave teaching. If I had done the engineering my guidance counsellor had wanted me to then I might be working at home until next year like some of my extended family are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

alroley wrote: »
    For secondary why can't they have half the students in on alternate weeks. Cover a lot of content while in school and on their week at home they do practice/written work etc. and are able to ask questions on google classroom if they need help.

I think you'll inevitably end up with this happening in many schools. But there's no way the government will publicly announce something like that. Politically they need a plan to have "all students back". The limits will emerge at local level when reality hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

Despite all the talk I think there is a chance this could still happen. We know that most pp schools don’t have enough space for 1m SD for all students. There is talk of money for alterations, prefabs etc.. but even if there is money I doubt this can be done in 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Mine live three hours away. Maybe a hotel visit and then we can talk over a wall.

Finding it really hard to be positive today. I’m depressed at the prospect of what’s being discussed and some of the media rhetoric makes me want to just leave teaching. If I had done the engineering my guidance counsellor had wanted me to then I might be working at home until next year like some of my extended family are

I am in the same position as you. I teach in Dublin and my parents live in Limerick. My Dad would be very at risk. I am only going into my third year teaching and really wishing I had just gone working in marketing or something after my undergrad rather than doing the PME. Anyone I am still in contact with from my business undergrad are working from home for the foreseeable future and I am terrified of being in tiny rooms with 30 other people with no social distancing. Also not being able to see my family for months :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

We all know parents want their darlings out of the house and back to cheap childcare.
    Secondly the media will never love us and will spin it that way always. It's simplistic drivel.
    Thus expecting the media to be realistic is just plain naive. It's like a battered spouse expecting peace at home after x number of years of violence. You will be constantly let down.
    It's now up to individual principals. It rests in their hands. If yours is like mine- you will have little influence of this plans enactment. Just decide how best you can keep yourself from going nuts. Remember your family comes first. Don't look for appreciation or love from the media. Get a dog if you want appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Because we have under invested in education for years, have the largest class sizes in Europe so would cost them too much to do it right and have a media/government rhetoric that all of this is teachers faults and we are just whiners who won’t do our jobs.....

#glorifiedbabysitters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

even at the moment with the current weather that is near impossible, but even more than weather etc. is i just am not taking that risk, dads high risk and mom isnt much better, with what little we know about this virus and how advice changes by the day i cant be certain that i wont give it to them even if i am more than 2m away.

As for my job as a PP SNA, how the hell i am going to be able to work with my kids safely i have no idea, i work very closely with a lot of my students, i share their books and equipment, help them with writing and assignments. Maybe they will threaten to transfer us back into the HSE to be healthcare/eldercare assistants again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I am in the same position as you. I teach in Dublin and my parents live in Limerick. My Dad would be very at risk. I am only going into my third year teaching and really wishing I had just gone working in marketing or something after my undergrad rather than doing the PME. Anyone I am still in contact with from my business undergrad are working from home for the foreseeable future and I am terrified of being in tiny rooms with 30 other people with no social distancing. Also not being able to see my family for months :(

Put feelers out to see if there’s anything going jobwise. I know I would if I had a business degree. Is there much work in accountancy ?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Put feelers out to see if there’s anything going jobwise. I know I would if I had a business degree. Is there much work in accountancy ?

To be honest I'd encourage you to leave. The pension is now ****. The salary not much better. The only benefit is the holidays and job security.
    However no job is perfect either.
    You won't be in a room with 30 pupils. That won't happen. Relax on that score.

#glorifiedbabysitters

Do you really have nothing better to do? Like read a book. You can still get some with pictures.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Do you really have nothing better to do? Like read a book. You can still get some with pictures.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Bobtheman wrote: »
    To be honest I'd encourage you to leave. The pension is now ****. The salary not much better. The only benefit is the holidays and job security.
    However no job is perfect either.
    You won't be in a room with 30 pupils. That won't happen. Relax on that score.

and the amount of grief educators get for it makes it nearly a con

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

#glorifiedbabysitters
    You must be fed up of being babysat. I'd imagine you spend all day being watched. Obviously you escaped for long enough to type a few letters.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You must be fed up of being babysat. I'd imagine you spend all day being watched. Obviously you escaped for long enough to type a few letters.

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What I'm reading on here is confirming my suspicions that Schools aren't prepared for this, that it's not safe, that it's rushed and that you'd be a fool to send your kids back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

But what is the alternative?
    Ask an already stretched teacher to provide home schooling work for individual children?
    I am serious by the way.What is the alternative?

What I'm reading on here is confirming my suspicions that Schools aren't prepared for this, that it's not safe, that it's rushed and that you'd be a fool to send your kids back.

Every single parent has a decision to make and a month to make it in.

Schools can really only start preparing once whatever detail is revealed.

I fully expect nothing too substantial with actual practical solutions. Our staff has been told to be available to come on site from August 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1282666347982462976.html

a good thread on scientific evidence available on school's reopening.

A good article that details what schools in East Asia did on reopening. Their community transmission is less than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Are we expecting the Minister on the 6 o’clock news I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

shesty wrote: »
    But what is the alternative?
    Ask an already stretched teacher to provide home schooling work for individual children?
    I am serious by the way.What is the alternative?

That won’t happen. As is due to increased hygiene practices there will be barely enough time to actually teach the children in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

scrubs33 wrote: »

After that interview with the Indo they’d be brave to let her loose!
    Press briefing at 5:30 apparently.

scrubs33 wrote: »

I don't think they're brave/stupid enough to let her loose on national TV unless she has learnt off her answers like a student!! The fiasco of the Independent interview will have put a stop to this idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

lulublue22 wrote: »
    That won’t happen. As is due to increased hygiene practices there will be barely enough time to actually teach the children in the class.

Which is exactly my point.If the schools are open, there aren't really any alternatives other than to send the kids in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Whoop there it is. Let the blame shifting begin.

Advertisement