Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has the plan actually been published anywhere yet or am I missing it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

I don't think they're brave/stupid enough to let her loose on national TV unless she has learnt off her answers like a student!! The fiasco of the Independent interview will have put a stop to this idea.

Have a link to that interview by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Just listening to that ghoul John Boylan all resources packed up into individual packs - pencils , playdough, cubes who exactly will be getting all these packs organised and kept organised and sanitised. ( with up to 30 in a class) For gods sake sanitising counting cubes for the younger classes. We will be lucky to get an hours teaching time with all that carry on. Feckin egit. Won’t be too bad for seniors but juniors get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Just listening to that ghoul John Boylan all resources packed up into individual packs - pencils , playdough, cubes who exactly will be getting all these packs organised and kept organised and sanitised. ( with up to 30 in a class) For gods sake sanitising counting cubes for the younger classes. We will be lucky to get an hours teaching time with all that carry on. Feckin egit. Won’t be too bad for seniors but juniors get real.

Infuriating isn't it? Sounds great to those who know nothing about schools but has absolutely no grounding in reality. If kids are not a danger to one another (or teacher) then surely the materials are not a danger either and there's no need for individual packs.

Busywork for the teacher, that's all it is.
    Dylan94 wrote: »
    Have a link to that interview by any chance?

It's behind a paywall unfortunately.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/education/flat-out-busy-foley-hasnt-time-for-tricky-questions-39360578.html

Infuriating isn't it? Sounds great to those who know nothing about schools but has absolutely no grounding in reality. If kids are not a danger to one another (or teacher) then surely the materials are not a danger either and there's no need for individual packs.

Busywork for the teacher, that's all it is.

It's behind a paywall unfortunately.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/education/flat-out-busy-foley-hasnt-time-for-tricky-questions-39360578.html

Absolute codology- I mean seriously has he even set foot in a primary school ??? I mistakenly thought we were trying to maximise childrens learning to counter schools being closed since March. We will simply spend the vast majority of the day cleaning. Pure Optics - what looks good - can see all the parents saying oh great but no basis in reality. I’ve tried to stay away from the baby sitting jibes as I do think its unfair patents are concerned about their child’s education but it seems as if thats the way we are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Here we go..

The briefing is starting now lads. You'll see it on the RTE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Come on Micheál...lot of waffle here

Any idea where we can get a copy of the return to school roadmap as it doesn’t seem that Norma is going to get to it any time soon. Pure pat on the back waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Any idea where we can get a copy of the return to school roadmap as it doesn’t seem that Norma is going to get to it any time soon. Pure pat on the back waffle.

Wonder how many more people will she "acknowledge "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I don’t know why exactly but Norma Foley kind of looks like she’s come straight from the 90s. Like she could be running for Presidency in Ireland in 1997.

gifted wrote: »
    Wonder how many more people will she "acknowledge "

I think the order of acknowledgements is very interesting. Always starts with students/parents and ends with teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I don’t know why exactly but Norma Foley kind of looks like she’s come straight from the 90s. Like she could be running for Presidency in Ireland in 1997.

Dolores Umbridge :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

This is going to be a disaster.

Well the optics were good 1000 new teachers . From where exactly. Its the nitty gritty I’m interested in. Will have to try and track down the guidelines.

In case anyone is sick of the waffle, the guidelines are now live: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a0bff-reopening-our-primary-and-special-schools/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Waffle....comprehensive........waffle........comprehensive......waffle......comprehensive.......waffle........comprehensive... waffle.

In case anyone is sick of the waffle, the guidelines are now live: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a0bff-reopening-our-primary-and-special-schools/

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Waffle....comprehensive........waffle........comprehensive......waffle......comprehensive.......waffle........comprehensive... waffle.

.... Roadmap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I honestly cannot believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Acknowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I honestly cannot believe this.

What exactly is the difference between a normal classroom and these suggested layouts... literally nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

No shortage of primary school teachers for substitute work?!?

I’m not sure that’s accurate.

Christ I just had a good giggle - one example of SD in a typical 80 sqm class with 32 children. 16 on one side in rows one behind the other on top of each other a 1 m space and then the other 16 on the other side in rows on top of each other and 1 m at the top of the class fir the teacher. You couldn’t make it up. Thats SD out the window anyhow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking at the diagrams for primary classes, some very interesting layouts, particularly where students have to sit at the 'join' of two tables. They cant pull their chair in and will stick out completely. Not workable at all. Also, some kids will be right down the back of the class, little chance of seeing the board. Interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

She expects to get 30 kids in a classroom socially distanced if we remove a cabinet.

The only furniture in my classroom other than mine and the student's desks is one cabinet. Removing that won't make the room suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Is that primary only?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I'll give it my all but I can't see this being anything but a disaster.

I think I'll say a prayer to St. Anthony in the hope he finds a vaccine...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

School transport scheme will fully operate as normal when schools reopen in line with health advice.
    School transport is a controlled environment
    Sit in pre assigned seat
    From Dept of Ed site

• Advertisement

Is that primary only?

If you scroll down the page and click on the Back to Schools campaign, it'll take you to the secondary guidance.

Advertisement