Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

15 pages read so far.

Some changes to be made to LC, more choice and more time for projects.

They looking for people to be prepared for another closure so online platforms to aid or follow learning will become the norm

We're to hold off on creating pass/honours classes in case Johnny turns into a genius all of a sudden. This will further delay work with honours classes.

Plenty of the usual nods at wellbeing.

That's all I've gotten from 15 pages so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

What is their actual logic behind not making it mandatory for PP students to wear masks? Are they worried they might offend the tiny percent of parents who will be difficult over it? It actually makes a bit of a mockery of making masks mandatory in shops etc. There is no draw back to it, so just make everyone in building wear masks. Simple

Could they have got the word wellbeing in any more times in the conference. Just seems a nice fluffy word to throw out all the time now. Lost any meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Let’s look for the silver linings here.... surely this ‘plan’ gives pubs a strong case for reopening. They’d have less people on their premises than us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Why is there a diagram of a PE hall in the document with 3 groups of 30 students and 3 teachers there? Are they suggesting we move classes to the gym???

Rosita wrote: »
    Certainly my point made earlier today about timetables being premature was misguided. Looks like the plan is for social distancing to not apply really so business as usual. Having 24 students in a room isn't social distancing. I'd have a decent size of a room and I had 24 LCs last year. To imagine that socially distanced to a metre it'd be reduced to 16 tops. So clearly in practice it's off the agenda especially since they seem also to be allocating just over on new teacher per school.

Can’t honestly see many principals adding to their headaches by jiggling around their timetable for more doubles when students will not be social distancing and not obliged to wear masks. Double periods probably won’t make much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Let’s look for the silver linings here.... surely this ‘plan’ gives pubs a strong case for reopening. They’d have less people on their premises than us :pac:

you know what, after this, they dont have a leg to stand on with that anymore, just open the fecking pubs :pac:

Also, why are teachers not being asked if they have been abroad or not on the form we've to fill in. There's a clown on our staff who I'm practically sure is going away in August. I think the ETBs are asking for this information from teachers anyway? Its an important question to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Why is there a diagram of a PE hall in the document with 3 groups of 30 students and 3 teachers there? Are they suggesting we move classes to the gym???

3 separate classes in a hall at once sounds so stupid im amazed whoever came up with it passed their leaving cert tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

They've obviously copied and pasted this directly from some other document because they're talking about a completely separate disease here.

521243.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Skimming it here while trying to get my youngest to sleep

My reading of it is 1m social distancing in classrooms and if it cannot be maintained in every room then masks are required.

Some common sense suggestions timetabling the biggest classes first etc.

Some lovely notions such as the overflow 6 students could watch it in a different room live which might work in some settings but definitely nor in others

However the reality is if you are to reduce every class in secondary from 30 to 24 or the vast majority of them (since few schools have more than 1 or 2 locations bigger than a classroom) then 1000 extra teachers seems wildly optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

titan18 wrote: »
    3 separate classes in a hall at once sounds so stupid im amazed whoever came up with it passed their leaving cert tbh

maybe the teacher can learn sign language in 4 weeks and then it might work :eek::pac: idiotic

s1ippy wrote: »
    They've obviously copied and pasted this directly from some other document because they're talking about a completely separate disease here.

521243.jpg

No this is normal in a building that has been shut for an extended period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The end of PE during bad weather. Also be some craic when one of the groups is doing practice for an aural exam.

I'm actually laughing out loud at the diagram of the teacher in the room with 24 kids and the 1m measurements shown between people. It's assuming we just stand in the one place for the whole class!!! So if I go over to my computer, (assuming I'm teaching in my own room which I might not be), I can imagine smart alecs shouting that I'm too close to them. Often I go to my press (assuming I'll still have the press and its not out in the corridor to make way for a desk....), which means I have to walk past students at close range.... Giving back copies??? Do we even take them up??? Giving out sheets...??? Oh God, I was planning on starting the count down to retirement next year by job sharing but put it off until the following year...What a mistake!!!!!

What is their actual logic behind not making it mandatory for PP students to wear masks? Are they worried they might offend the tiny percent of parents who will be difficult over it? It actually makes a bit of a mockery of making masks mandatory in shops etc. There is no draw back to it, so just make everyone in building wear masks. Simple

Could they have got the word wellbeing in any more times in the conference. Just seems a nice fluffy word to throw out all the time now. Lost any meaning.

What's gas is the same students (at second level at least) will head downtown at lunchtime to the local spar and put on their mask to go into the shop and stand in a socially distanced queue to buy their chicken fillet roll.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Disappointed to see absolutely no mention of practical subjects besides art and music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Christ I just had a good giggle - one example of SD in a typical 80 sqm class with 32 children. 16 on one side in rows one behind the other on top of each other a 1 m space and then the other 16 on the other side in rows on top of each other and 1 m at the top of the class fir the teacher. You couldn’t make it up. Thats SD out the window anyhow.

Ciara Kelly gave them her workings from the night she was on Virgin Media!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Mícheál is a teacher and we're going to need all hands on deck so I'm sure he's going to come back and help like Leo did in the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The end of PE during bad weather. Also be some craic when one of the groups is doing practice for an aural exam.
    And for those doing PE as an exam subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think I need a PhD in doublespeak and BS to work through this document.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

For those larger classes which remain difficult to accommodate consider a live streaming of that class to another room or area in the school. The small number of students which could not be accommodated in the main classroom, could watch live from a satellite room or area in the school under supervision by a teacher. Students could be rotated on an equitable basis to the satellite room/area.

ARE THEY FOR REAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

km79 wrote: »
    For those larger classes which remain difficult to accommodate consider a live streaming of that class to another room or area in the school. The small number of students which could not be accommodated in the main classroom, could watch live from a satellite room or area in the school under supervision by a teacher. Students could be rotated on an equitable basis to the satellite room/area.

ARE THEY FOR REAL

Ya, I read that and laughed. Like no remote learning but let's do remote learning when the students are in school with a different teacher just sitting there watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

s1ippy wrote: »
    Mícheál is a teacher and we're going to need all hands on deck so I'm sure he's going to come back and help like Leo did in the HSE.

Sure Norma can join him, she's a secondary teacher. Lead from the front and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Treppen wrote:
    Whoop there it is. Let the blame shifting begin.
    I'm not going to blame schools or teachers.
    I'm blaming the government, they are every bit as bad as the previous one. It doesn't matter whether it's FF, FG or any of the rest of them. It appears none of them have a clue, all they care about is being covered when the excrement hits the fan.
    They have a responsibility to families and to employees and it appears they don't care about either right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

What's gas is the same students (at second level at least) will head downtown at lunchtime to the local spar and put on their mask to go into the shop and stand in a socially distanced queue to buy their chicken fillet roll.....

They wont be allowed to leave the school,well they wont be in my daughters

Read through it all and there is a lot of things that are hard to interpret absolutely.

So some Q&A from my interpretations

Is the 1m social distance mandatory at second level?
    It appears not fully is my interpretation of the many different ways they’ve tried to say it

Is the wearing of masks allowed?
    Very heavily advised against for the teacher. Students may if they choose. However that’s with the exception of when social distancing (the 1m) cannot be maintained. Then it’s masks for all

Do students social distance on the corridors?
    No apparently passing on the corridors is fine...

What happens if the teacher is sick?
    We have to stay out and there’s a whole series of rules. But there doesn’t appear to be any official guidance on whether this is coming from our normal sick leave

What about the buses?
    Running completely as normal but with masks

What about curriculum content?
    Changes are coming with greater choice etc at the start of the year. Changes to practicals and extra time for briefs are expected

What about wellbeing?
    Schools are being given the option to defer the increase in wellbeing hours from 300-400 hrs for one year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

eagle eye wrote: »
    They have a responsibility to families and to employees and it appears they don't care about either right now.

It's been crystal clear since all this started exactly how much the Government do not care about families, kids, parents, childcare or education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What about wellbeing?
    Schools are being given the option to defer the increase in wellbeing hours from 300-400 hrs for one year

Majority of schools wud have timetabled for the extra hours already I'd imagine. They'll hardly go to the hassle of undoing it and reassigning time to areas they were taken from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Majority of schools wud have timetabled for the extra hours already I'd imagine. They'll hardly go to the hassle of undoing it and reassigning time to areas they were taken from.

Probably not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm actually laughing out loud at the diagram of the teacher in the room with 24 kids and the 1m measurements shown between people. It's assuming we just stand in the one place for the whole class!!! So if I go over to my computer, (assuming I'm teaching in my own room which I might not be), I can imagine smart alecs shouting that I'm too close to them. Often I go to my press (assuming I'll still have the press and its not out in the corridor to make way for a desk....), which means I have to walk past students at close range.... Giving back copies??? Do we even take them up??? Giving out sheets...??? Oh God, I was planning on starting the count down to retirement next year by job sharing but put it off until the following year...What a mistake!!!!!

And yet you are to prioritise practical lessons and group work! No suggestions as to how though.

Advertisement