Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What reason was given for advising against teachers wearing masks? Didn't get that far yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

titan18 wrote: »
    3 separate classes in a hall at once sounds so stupid im amazed whoever came up with it passed their leaving cert tbh

Clearly they have huge respect for PE classes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

So what do we expect the unions will make of this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

The post-primary (and some of the primary) suggested layouts look like something you'd get given in a JC maths exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

What reason was given for advising against teachers wearing masks? Didn't get that far yet

It hinders communication.

Where’s the bit about exams having extra choice? I can’t find it.

Seems to be a lot about teacher behaviour, but student behaviour will have to be dealt with within the schools covid policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I ordered some masks from a girl in the deaf community who is making them with clear panels so I plan on wearing these regardless.

I will also be buying some of the anti fog wipes from Specsavers.

Looks like we will have to try protect ourselves as best as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Where are we meant to prepare classes. There is three communal computers in our place.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Disappointed to see absolutely no mention of practical subjects besides art and music.

Very disaapointed that there was nothing at all about Home Economics but yet they wrote that we need to continue practical work.

Right now I am drawing blanks as to how I can teach cookery classes with 20 in the room and the facilities for only 10 to socially distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    The post-primary (and some of the primary) suggested layouts look like something you'd get given in a JC maths exam.

Dr Ciara and her dots on graph paper farce is now official guidelines. It's fantasy land level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

And on the subject of practicals and computer classes, how is the shared equipment cleaned after every class? Or do we not bother with that either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

abacus120 wrote: »
    They wont be allowed to leave the school,well they wont be in my daughters

Won't be the case in many schools where there just isn't the space to keep them all in at lunchtime.

And on the subject of practicals and computer classes, how is the shared equipment cleaned after every class? Or do we not bother with that either!

Students and teachers clean them down with disposable wipes at the end of class.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Mícheál is a teacher and we're going to need all hands on deck so I'm sure he's going to come back and help like Leo did in the HSE.

In fairness if he is replicating the work of the bould Doc he'll just be in the office answering the phone (while being photographed) so while he'll get to be a hero and showing leadership and solidarity it won't make much difference to us.

Students and teachers clean them down with disposable wipes at the end of class.

That's not going to happen in any meaningful way, there just isn't time for teachers to do it, and students will vary in doing it

That's not going to happen in any meaningful way, there just isn't time for teachers to do it, and students will vary in doing it

I think a lot of the document is aspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I love how in the diagrams they reinterpreted the 1 metre social distancing to only be in one direction. It was originally in all directions and in some cases in those diagrams there is 40cm between students.

km79 wrote: »
    For those larger classes which remain difficult to accommodate consider a live streaming of that class to another room or area in the school. The small number of students which could not be accommodated in the main classroom, could watch live from a satellite room or area in the school under supervision by a teacher. Students could be rotated on an equitable basis to the satellite room/area.

ARE THEY FOR REAL

In fairness it is funny. Try getting my overhead projector to work continuously for, say, two weeks. Then we can work on the satellite coverage.
    Unfortunately all of this will be reported with a naive straight face by journalists who have no idea how funny it is.

I think a lot of the document is aspirational.

Well that is what they promised in June aspirational and bespoke solutions or sort it yourselves and we got both.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

I can already foresee some of our more unruly students having great craic taking advantage of staff being spread thin.

If Covid wasnt such a threat to the elderly and immunocompromised amongst us, what's facing us all in September would be absolutely laughable.

Surely Union's will have to take some sort of stand on this farce, it's downright negligent for staff, never mind my poor students with additional needs that fall into high risk and will be pushed in the school door the first chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Other than looking for additional money for schools they don’t seem to have much to say.

Majority of schools wud have timetabled for the extra hours already I'd imagine. They'll hardly go to the hassle of undoing it and reassigning time to areas they were taken from.

And the irony is that out of the other side of their mouths the government's telling us that students' well-being was never more important.

Surely Union's will have to take some sort of stand on this farce, it's downright negligent for staff, never mind my poor students with additional needs that fall into high risk and will be pushed in the school door the first chance.

I think the practicalities of this will rumble on for months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

It hinders communication.

Where’s the bit about exams having extra choice? I can’t find it.

Seems to be a lot about teacher behaviour, but student behaviour will have to be dealt with within the schools covid policy.

It's in first 15 pages anyway :)

Apparently each subject will get info on how it impacts their area in September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

CE scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I don't know about any of yis but I'd rather my communication be hindered than to kill someone.

It's as if they decided to just throw what seems like a lot of money at education in the hope everyone will be happy and just get on with it.

If I hear the word 'unprecedented' one more time, I will actually punch a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I just don't understand why in secondary/upper primary teachers and students can't wear see through masks(like deaf people are promoting for lip reading) or visors if it's such a big deal to be able to read facial expressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

It's just so frustrating to see the constant ads from the government of "wear a mask. wear a mask. wear a mask. protect others" to also see that they don't give a **** about teachers (or students).

I'm sorry but school staff and pupils deserve the same protection that literally everyone else is getting. This is not on.

• Advertisement

Just finished reading the response plan for reopening primary schools, I wonder if the secondary school one is as full of tripe as this one.

Advertisement