Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You know what,

when things eventually start going back to normal, when or whatever that is.

We on this forum, should go for pints and have a good laugh and bitching session.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

You know what,

when things eventually start going back to normal, when or whatever that is.

We on this forum, should go for pints and have a good laugh and bitching session.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

khalessi wrote: »
    Just finished reading the response plan for reopening primary schools, I wonder if the secondary school one is as full of tripe as this one.

There’s plenty. I couldn’t stomach much more than a skim on the learning and programs document

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I ordered some masks from a girl in the deaf community who is making them with clear panels so I plan on wearing these regardless.

I will also be buying some of the anti fog wipes from Specsavers.

Looks like we will have to try protect ourselves as best as we can.

I got the anti fog from specsavers, the black small bottle at the till. It's amazing, works for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

What a let-down! Waiting all day for this and what do we get?

In all honesty this reminds me of the day the Government came down to Sligo and had their BIG meeting and announcement of Ireland 20 20 or 20 50 or whatever they called it.There was nothing in it that wouldnt have been done in normal circumstances anyways.

This evenings document has nothing new really,the spending in education would have been similar to whats proposed...€375 million or so.If you add up all that would have been spent in a normal year it would be a similar figure but some people were hoodwinked into believing that it was a "super design my own school plan and get everything I ever needed".
    It was never going to be like that.
    Leo and Micheál want the children in school so that parents can go to work and get off that Covid payment.There are bills to be paid and taxes to collect and so what if we have to put up with a few snotty nosed youngsters,sure they will have to go home and isolate for 14 days and when they come back it will be somebody elses turn.And when you compare the childminding rates the teachers provide an unbeatable per hour rate !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not a teacher but if that was my offices plan for reopening, I wouldn't go in. Employer has a duty of care to their staff and if they can't provide a safe work environment, work shouldn't be done imo.

Can't really expect teachers to not visit any elderly relatives until next June due to unsafe work environment potentially spreading covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

A lot of head scratching will be done over the idea that students remain in a single room and teachers move about.

What about classes that are split in to HL/OL or streamed? Who is responsible for students in the 5 minutes it'll take for one teacher to leave, another to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

F5500 wrote: »
    A lot of head scratching will be done over the idea that students remain in a single room and teachers move about.

What about classes that are split in to HL/OL or streamed? Who is responsible for students in the 5 minutes it'll take for one teacher to leave, another to arrive?

Would that be where these extra teachers come in?its a mad idea but a class tutor type set up where a teacher has to remain with a class all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I thought that too. Also what do you do about correcting/planning etc. Surely teachers can't all use the staff room? I've no bother eating lunch in the car but correcting 30 x essays on my knees isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Would that be where these extra teachers come in?its a mad idea but a class tutor type set up where a teacher has to remain with a class all day?

The extra teachers announced would roughly equate to 1.5 extra teacher per school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The state of this class seating plan.

Students in the corner won't see a thing on the board.

A comprehensive road map my hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm not a teacher but if that was my offices plan for reopening, I wouldn't go in. Employer has a duty of care to their staff and if they can't provide a safe work environment, work shouldn't be done imo.

Can't really expect teachers to not visit any elderly relatives until next June due to unsafe work environment potentially spreading covid.

So many teachers live with an elderly parent or are their main carer. Of course this is absolutely not unique to teachers, but I have found that in families where one sibling is a teacher, they are the one who is the designated carer more than others. And that makes sense given shorter days on site in the workplace and greater availability due to holidays. I would say a greater proportion of teachers are carers for an elderly parent than in most other full time occupations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It also says schools should prioritise keeping students in the same class groups and with the same teacher as last year, to ease the transition back to school. Students staying put and teachers moving is going to be pointless for everyone except 1st Years. And even then they'll be moving a lot for options. If the usual taster set up goes ahead then it will be pointless for them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Silly idea, just can't work out.

Another thread here about just that:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058099838/2/#post114152640

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

It's in first 15 pages anyway :)

Apparently each subject will get info on how it impacts their area in September
    Thanks. I was actually in a different document. There are quite a few documents actually, I had assumed there was one per level.

The state of this class seating plan.

Students in the corner won't see a thing on the board.

A comprehensive road map my hole

I nearly died laughing when I saw the PE hall one, absolutely crazy. I'll have a bit of maths, a little english with a faint bit of french in the background.

Does the teacher just have to stay right up against the corner, is there a board? I have two boards for higher level maths.....do I need two red auras.....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

What’s going to happen to transition year, work experience, day trips?
    I’m guessing that will all be cancelled, there gonna Loose out big time

abacus120 wrote: »
    What’s going to happen to transition year, work experience, day trips?
    I’m guessing that will all be cancelled, there gonna Loose out big time

There is a separate document for TY. It's not massively clear but there is abit of detail around work experience.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7acad-reopening-our-post-primary-schools/

At the bottom of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm despondent after going through that.

On the overflow room, I'm not sure they even mention that it would need to be supervised. Obviously these students would just sit quietly and do their work, ideal world and all that.

If classes have to be split, how will 1 teacher or even 1.5 teachers per school help? 50 periods max? That's insane. 10 extra periods a day to sort Covid absences and split classes.

I teacher computers in a computer room. Students have to come to me. What'll that be like? Will I be cleaning 25 computers between classes, all the while the gang are on top of each other out in the corridor belting the lard out of each other?

How much education will actually happen while we jump through all these hoops?

There will be a MASS EXODUS from teaching this September. 1 month notice given, stay to get the 2%, just work September and off you go, or maybe not come back in September, lots of certified illness I'd say.

This will be carnage.

I'm presuming it's just waving a red flag to the unions so they call for common sense, and therefore take the public opinion bullet.

• Advertisement

https://www.thejournal.ie/extra-secondary-teachers-ireland-coronavirus-5161504-Jul2020/

"Speaking at the post-Cabinet briefing, Minister Foley said: “Currently there are 1,300 teachers who are job-sharers, and for the first time we will lift the bar that would have been on them to do additional hours in school, which will go some way towards meeting the needs that might be there.

“There are 2,000 teachers who are currently registered with the Teaching Council but not working in the education sector, so we will be looking at that as a resource.

“I’m conscious that there are 300, for example, teachers who have trained in the UK, and we will look at speeding up their Teaching Council requirements to facilitate them returning.”

This shows a real lack of understanding from someone who was in a school. So many of the people on job sharing are carers or looking after young kids. Ii'd say we will be lucky to keep them at all with these suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

if it is safe to go back let's cancel the facemasks in shops and on buses too

let's have all the pubs really open first

and let's see all the TDs back in the dail too

then we can see about schools with no proper health and safety rules ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

How much education will actually happen while we jump through all these hoops?

You're missing the point. This isn't about education. It's about childminding.

If you follow the thread over in the parallel universe that is the Covid-19 forum you'll see that there are quite a few parents who couldn't give a sh1te about teachers' health or their own children's health as long as someone takes them off their hands.

There will be a MASS EXODUS from teaching this September. 1 month notice given, stay to get the 2%, just work September and off you go, or maybe not come back in September, lots of certified illness I'd say.

This will be carnage.

I'm presuming it's just waving a red flag to the unions so they call for common sense, and therefore take the public opinion bullet.

I was saying this today, how many are holding off for the 2%....you could end up with less teachers by November than we had last year easily with this nonsense

There are three posters on that thread that drove me away kbv2, I just could read their brand of sh*t* any more. They hate teachers, not sure if it's their own education or just grudging of our conditions or what but it was impossible to continue reading.

For me it is about education though, that's what I'm there to do, and I'll be answerable 2 years later on the results that are returned, Covid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I was saying this today, how many are holding off for the 2%....you could end up with less teachers by November than we had last year easily with this nonsense

And they would be so right to go if they can afford to. This plan is an insult to teachers. They just do not give a damn once the kids are in school and the parents can work. By hook or crook is right, pity they didnt look after their voters

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

So many teachers live with an elderly parent or are their main carer. Of course this is absolutely not unique to teachers, but I have found that in families where one sibling is a teacher, they are the one who is the designated carer more than others. And that makes sense given shorter days on site in the workplace and greater availability due to holidays. I would say a greater proportion of teachers are carers for an elderly parent than in most other full time occupations.

I'm a 2nd year PME and, like most others in my class, live at home with my parents who are both in their mid 60s. I definitely don't want to risk potentially bringing anything home to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

There is a separate document for TY. It's not massively clear but there is abit of detail around work experience.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7acad-reopening-our-post-primary-schools/

At the bottom of the page

Thank for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

There is nothing about students remaining in a single room in the document though is there? The fact that they are pushing for more double classes I assumed negated the idea of groups remaining in the same class. I don't see how, other than 1st years, they can stay in the same class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I think a lot of the document is aspirational.

Aspirations 5 weeks from lift off isn't really what we need! We need answers dammit! I'm still no wiser tbh. God help principals and management trying to fathom how this will actually relate to their own schools.

Advertisement