Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I wonder would the young girl with glasses have any interest in being Minister for Finance?

I was more impressed with her than I was with Norma Foley yesterday 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Prime Time done.

Mostly waffle bar the students they had speaking who addressed done of the realities on the ground

The principal they had speaking confused me more. All students staying in their class. How does that work given for seniors given they will all have different options, levels etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Prime Time done.

Mostly waffle bar the students they had speaking who addressed done of the realities on the ground

Thought the kids actually spoke the most sense. Deirdre was trying to play nice, parents rep came across as dogmatic, and Aodhan spoke well.

Think the program summed up everything so far - everyone wanting to do their best, some old grudges still there, but some sense of dawning reality that social distancing isn't really possible and 90% of people don't really care.

Will be interesting to see how ppl react when teachers do the job, go in and teach and then there is no remote teaching at all as there is no time then to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

snor wrote: »
    Agree having a PhD doesn’t make you a good teacher !

Maybe not, but the TC isn't assessing teaching ability when registering people for a subject. They are assessing subject knowledge. In that respect a PhD is not bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how ppl react when teachers do the job, go in and teach and then there is no remote teaching at all as there is no time then to do it.
    People will be incensed and demand that teachers have their pay and holidays cut. It's a tale as old as time.
    Bobtheman wrote: »
    My advice get totally drunk between now and then. Never sober up. Thus you will be too hungover to tune into this. Its beyond our control. You will get communications from your local principal. Then and only then can you judge if the situation works for you.
    Just don't go back in September, don't answer your phone and when the guards come knocking put in headphones. If they break in say you didn't hear them knocking and "oh it's September already?"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Rosita wrote: »
    Maybe not, but the TC isn't assessing reaching ability when registering people for a subject. They are assessing subject knowledge. In that respect a PhD is not bad!

But still not good enough to teach the basics of your PhD subject to JC level according to th he teaching counsel. Very demoralizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Amazing to think that we are only a week off what would have been the start of the state exams- the ones that would have been too difficult and risky to run, the ones that would have supposedly been a logistical nightmare to organise safely etc.etc. and yet now, we are to get a million pupils back to school all at the same time, with all building and personnel sorted in just over 4 weeks and sure, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

https://www.thejournal.ie/extra-secondary-teachers-ireland-coronavirus-5161504-Jul2020/

"Speaking at the post-Cabinet briefing, Minister Foley said: “Currently there are 1,300 teachers who are job-sharers, and for the first time we will lift the bar that would have been on them to do additional hours in school, which will go some way towards meeting the needs that might be there.

“There are 2,000 teachers who are currently registered with the Teaching Council but not working in the education sector, so we will be looking at that as a resource.

“I’m conscious that there are 300, for example, teachers who have trained in the UK, and we will look at speeding up their Teaching Council requirements to facilitate them returning.”

This shows a real lack of understanding from someone who was in a school. So many of the people on job sharing are carers or looking after young kids. Ii'd say we will be lucky to keep them at all with these suggestions

Not to mind teachers who have retired but still do a bit of work for the SEC so they keep up their registration for that purpose and have no intention of setting a foot in a classroom ever again.

Or the teachers gone to the UK, Dubai, Australia etc. They are registered with the TC if they did the dip here because they know it's serious hassle if they leave it lapse and have to go back through it all over again.

I'd say there's a heap of teachers registered and not in anyway available to teach. I can't imagine anyone who has retired and is still registered wanting to go back teaching. They retired for a reason, and given that they've retired they are in the higher risk category age wise.

Anyone who was thinking of doing one more year might be looking at the situation now and thinking 'really, do I need this hassle for one more year?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I wonder would the young girl with glasses have any interest in being Minister for Finance?

She was fabulous, wasn't she!

I was impressed by all the kids they had on tbh, they spoke well. I'd trade Norma Foley for one of them any day.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I know three permanent teachers in one school who drafted their resignations this evening. They were holding out until the government guidance because they had no confidence in their school management. Now that the government guidance is out and completely unacceptable, they have all decided to walk. The unions won't protect them either.

One won't be back in September, notice be damned and the other two are going to request that the BOM waive their required notice period due to the exceptional circumstances.

There are already interviews happening for two other positions in that school, so that's five permanent vacancies to be filled in one school with twelve classes.

If I were still a teacher I would be very seriously weighing up all my options.

I'm still registered with the Teaching Council and there was a data breach in March where they emailed all my information (full name, number, pps, home address) to an unknown entity, so nothing new to see here really.

It's only one month's notice required anyway, so if they sent it in this week they'd be covered for September.

We have had a baby boom in my school, a few retirements, a few moving on to other schools, etc... we need about 12 teachers for September. Actually we needed that in June, one or two more have left since and presumably there will be more hours to fill with the extra 1000 teachers announced. Gonna have to wear name badges when we go back.... if the places are filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah dont worry

As soon as the first teachers get infected, it will be straight to the solicitors to sue the Dept. for putting them in that situation without proper controls and ignoring guidelines. Then a real plan may emerge.

Same with parents, when Johnny who cant socially distance himself or stop jumping on other students gets infected, his parents will sue the BOM.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ah dont worry

As soon as the first teachers get infected, it will be straight to the solicitors to sue the Dept. for putting them in that situation without proper controls and ignoring guidelines. Then a real plan may emerge.

Same with parents, when Johnny who cant socially distance himself or stop jumping on other students gets infected, his parents will sue the BOM.

Ya the DES are kinda shooting themselves in the foot by putting it in print that masks are not required in classrooms, but you can get fined for not wearing them on public transport etc.

Treppen wrote: »
    Inspectors / JC facilitators / NCCA
    All back to classroom, it'll be like an inspiring Hollywood moment like School of Rock or dead poets society.

It would be an interesting experiment to see those who fcuked off to the inspectorate without any major teaching experience being chucked into a 22 hour timetable and told to get on with it. :D

*starts making industrial quantities of popcorn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/it-will-take-more-than-10-per-pupil-per-week-to-keep-schools-open-1.4315818?mode=amp
    How can this man manage to write so many words and say absolutely nothing at all.

With that crucial article done and dusted he's off to sleep for a month now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/it-will-take-more-than-10-per-pupil-per-week-to-keep-schools-open-1.4315818?mode=amp
    How can this man manage to write so many words and say absolutely nothing at all.

With that crucial article done and dusted he's off to sleep for a month now.

It just comes across as moaning.. Again. There are legit issues around distancing, sick protocols, class spaces, provision of curriculum to those at home etc, but it just comes across as a moaning article..again. Does us no favours again.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I thought his views and that of the other unions are reasonable. We should not run from the truth or try to hide it from the parents.
    Remember the electorate consistently voted for idiots thar left the system underfunded and who can't mange an economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

The dept. sent out diagrams to national schools with multiple desk layout examples for however many pupils they have. 2 problems with that...1) all the layouts were for single desks when nearly every if not all schools have double desks where 2 pupils sit and 2) the room sizes in the examples are larger than most if not all classrooms in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It's only one month's notice required anyway, so if they sent it in this week they'd be covered for September.

We have had a baby boom in my school, a few retirements, a few moving on to other schools, etc... we need about 12 teachers for September. Actually we needed that in June, one or two more have left since and presumably there will be more hours to fill with the extra 1000 teachers announced. Gonna have to wear name badges when we go back.... if the places are filled.

Actually it's three and I've seen teachers held to it by sticky principals.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Seemingly this plan has the detail of the Invasion of Normandy. Glad we didn't invade.

Frankly the level of concern for teacher's health from our employer is worrying. They're happy to roll out 2 m social distancing for everyone but us, masks in shops but not in the confined petri dish of a classroom environment. It's all kids back to school at all costs.

I'm really concerned about the return to school and the implications for my health.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

I've seen it too. A few scores to be settled but hiding behind 'well legally your contract says three months...' I do however know of one colleague who will be sending in their letter of resignation via email on this coming Saturday ( a few scores being settled there too). At worst they reckon if the three months are insisted on they will be out on Nov 1 so might miss the worst of the flu season. At best the month might be enough so they are out on Sep 1.

• Advertisement

Just had a quick google and see there’s another quirk in the vol sec school/etb system.

It’s one month in ETB schools.

I'd advise anybody who is retiring and stuck to the three months to just use their sick leave. You could easily claim stress with what's going on.

snor wrote: »
    Agree having a PhD doesn’t make you a good teacher but I have a first class hons H. Dip Ed (preceeded
    PME) also.
    To teach a subject. You need to have a degree in that subject the TC tells me - a Masters won’t give sufficient credits - Even to teach JC business.
    I also have 2 years Geography in my degree(Science subject in TCD) But guess what - won’t register me to teach JC geography either.

They certainly don’t encourage you back to the classroom!

My apologies. I dropped the PhD dig in editing. It is ridiculous paper work. Then you arrive in schools and lower your level because you are dealing with 12-18 year old. You could have the noble prize for being a renowned poet but you'd be lucky if kids knew the difference between a simile and a metaphor. Thus the prancing around qualifications is ott. An MA is fine to teach a subject without a degree in a lot of cases. Not all but a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Anyone see a sudden surge of advertisements for teaching jobs at either level yet ? You’d think they’d be getting ready for all these new posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Anyone see a sudden surge of advertisements for teaching jobs at either level yet ? You’d think they’d be getting ready for all these new posts.

Less than a teacher a school, they might wait to see if they have some staff drop out due to health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No one has a clue how these are being allocated at secondary level. With regards to recruitment at primary. Normal recruitment will have to take precedence for the moment. No one expects the Covid panels to be filled until well after the school year is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭combat14

Seemingly this plan has the detail of the Invasion of Normandy. Glad we didn't invade.

Frankly the level of concern for teacher's health from our employer is worrying. They're happy to roll out 2 m social distancing for everyone but us, masks in shops but not in the confined petri dish of a classroom environment. It's all kids back to school at all costs.

I'm really concerned about the return to school and the implications for my health.

I think a lot of teachers are concerned for their own and loved ones health

it seems that our employer has close to zero concern for staff safety and well being

the solicitors must be already licking their lips at all if this

Let's keep the ball on the ground and realise that in many other employments health issues are occurring.
    My local postman told me there are 30 of them in one very small room sorting out routes. Not even 1m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bobtheman wrote: »

Let's keep the ball on the ground and realise that in many other employments health issues are occurring.
    My local postman told me there are 30 of them in one very small room sorting out routes. Not even 1m

And let's not forget that in other areas of employment massive changes have occurred to minimise risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd imagine most of these will not equate to real discrete jobs, but in reality will mean extra hours for existing teachers in schools. It's just a con job really for the government to imply that there are loads of new teachers coming on stream. Because even if there were it's a shockingly inadequate number.

Advertisement