Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Also to mention they are allowed by the department for the State Exams so they can be used in special centers in the Junior and Leaving Cert. Gives a great independence, the kids is still entitled to the separate centre but can use the pen as much and the way they like as opposed to having a reader. I can see it being great for shy kids who might not want to ask for something to be read a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Also to mention they are allowed by the department for the State Exams so they can be used in special centers in the Junior and Leaving Cert. Gives a great independence, the kids is still entitled to the separate centre but can use the pen as much and the way they like as opposed to having a reader. I can see it being great for shy kids who might not want to ask for something to be read a few times.

I’ve taught a few severely dyslexic children in 5th / 6th class who were still at the cvc stage and were reading in and around 6 / 7 year old levels. The difference the c pen made was unbelievable. Motivation , Independent learning skills , self confidence soared. I love how discrete and unobtrusive they are. They easily slip in and out of a pocket - great for further down the line. In a class they are easier to use than read write gold or dragonspeak. I would definitely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Anyone see Leo's interview where he said that clusters are to be expected but that it probably wouldn't be the principals fault. PROBABLY.

That this is the plan when they've had so much time to prepare for this is a mess. SF should (and hopefully will) eat them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Scottish and English governments are going into meltdown mode over exam results. Scotland has now given up on calculated grades and is allowing the teacher's grade whilst England will allow students to choose either their mock result or the calculated result. Both countries will see huge increases in high grades compared with the last few years.

Optimistic teachers (those who didn't follow the guidance) are being rewarded. Will we see the same here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Scottish and English governments are going into meltdown mode over exam results. Scotland has now given up on calculated grades and is allowing the teacher's grade whilst England will allow students to choose either their mock result or the calculated result. Both countries will see huge increases in high grades compared with the last few years.

Optimistic teachers (those who didn't follow the guidance) are being rewarded. Will we see the same here?

Told ya... Aim high

• Advertisement

Notorious wrote: »
    I know my particular case doesn't apply to all schools/teachers. Our classrooms each have their own desktop pc. Because they are dated (and we can't get funding for new machines), it can sometimes take five or more minutes to login. If it's a machine you've never used before, it'd take longer to setup your profile on the computer. The relics we have are slow to even open a web browser or PowerPoint file after logging in.

Last year I purchased upgraded ram for my classroom's machine - I might not even see that room this year!

I've my own laptop, but of course most of the projectors are connected with VGA connectors that are locked behind a plastic housing to stop someone yanking them out. It's a disaster.

There was thousands for every school over the last couple of years with an extra allocation last year.

Questions need to be asked in your school. Follow the money.
    the Irish Independent reports 120,000 euro was divided among 48 senators over the subsequent two month period, averaging at €4,000 each - on top of their average salary of over €68,000.

Treppen wrote: »
    Told ya... Aim high

Considering that it has brought total ruin to two country's systems, it probably isn't the best advice. SNP made the decision on political grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Considering that it has brought total ruin to two country's systems, it probably isn't the best advice. SNP made the decision on political grounds.

Their college entry system will now be affected as well
    And it will probably harm Irish students chances if the points over there are inflated

km79 wrote: »
    Their college entry system will now be affected as well
    And it will probably harm Irish students chances if the points over there are inflated

Chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0812/1158779-grades-challenge/

Assume he from that Burke family that are always in the headlines. Sister somehow managed to get into one of the NPHET briefings earlier in the year and caused some hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0812/1158779-grades-challenge/

Assume he from that Burke family that are always in the headlines. Sister somehow managed to get into one of the NPHET briefings earlier in the year and caused some hassle.

He's taking an odd stance on it. He doesn't have a constitutional right to access the Leaving Cert.

Even at that, he has the right to sit the exams at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

The kids sitting the exam next year will suffer. Essentially that will mean no bell curve of any order this year if it happens, which it no doubt will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'd be sceptical of any school that doesn't have money for ICT equipment considering the size of the grant over the last few years.

A member of our BOM was informed by the head of our ETB that any available money is being pushed to the newer schools instead of firing money at old buildings. I'm not sure if that was strictly for building works, or if it related to IT. But I know we didn't get a lot from our ETB for computers.

We got a trolley of iPads when we wanted desktops and to repair broken projectors.

A member of our BOM was informed by the head of our ETB that any available money is being pushed to the newer schools instead of firing money at old buildings. I'm not sure if that was strictly for building works, or if it related to IT. But I know we didn't get a lot from our ETB for computers.

We got a trolley of iPads when we wanted desktops and to repair broken projectors.

I'm in an ETB, the grant is specifically for the school itself. It's in a different account accessed by it's own code for Head Office. Couldn't be used by another school and shouldn't be used for anything other than ICT. It's per capita with a set amount to start

Alarm bells should be ringing. The person was told lies.

Alarm bells should be ringing. The person was told lies.

I dunno. Our ETB keeps half our grant 'for IT maintenance'. :rolleyes:

Ah here, what? The ICT in our Etb is appaling, they haven't a clue. I'd be furious if they were getting any of the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

ETBs are a law unto themselves and use their collective bargaining power to get the most they can and then "redustribute" it as they see fit.
    Could people not cop on and look at the on going enquiries into the carry on in some ETBs in the country.They are well publicised in the Print Media and also on the national station through Primetime Investigates.Its only a matter of time before they are all investigated and then we will see how the funds (taxpayers money) is divied out and how much is ringfenced for the cronies in the Golden Circle and fcuk the rest of ye attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

Increasing number of Covid-19 cases outside of locked-down counties 'a concern

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/increasing-number-of-covid-19-cases-outside-of-locked-down-counties-a-concern-39445575.html

This is an incredible article in Indo this morning where Dr Glynn is concerned about rising levels of community transmission outside 3 lockdown counties of kildare, laois and offaly ...

the word hope is used alot and dr glynn and the govt seem to believe that the kids wont get sick when they catch covid in the schools I.e. they hope cases will be asymptomatic while at the same time hoping schools wont close while forgetting that kids can pass this on to parents, siblings, grand parents, teachers, SNAs, principals, shops and the wider community

and forgetting that all these contacts who they no longer can trace can also pass it on to co-workers and others too ..

why did schools close In the first case if this powerful hope is so scientifically sound and strong?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm in an ETB, the grant is specifically for the school itself. It's in a different account accessed by it's own code for Head Office. Couldn't be used by another school and shouldn't be used for anything other than ICT. It's per capita with a set amount to start

Yeah, I know. It doesn't stop our ETB from dipping their hand in though. Sure who is going to stop them? The principal isn't going to ruffle any feathers. Everything has to go through the IT guys in head office and they are beyond useless.

When the building had a WiFi infrastructure setup we went months afterwards without being given the password. IT didn't think teachers should have access because we'd all hook up with our personal devices and slow the network down. Our students haven't their own devices, so nobody used it for months.

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »
    Increasing number of Covid-19 cases outside of locked-down counties 'a concern

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/increasing-number-of-covid-19-cases-outside-of-locked-down-counties-a-concern-39445575.html

This is an incredible article in Indo this morning where Dr Glynn is concerned about rising levels of community transmission outside 3 lockdown counties of kildare, laois and offaly ...

the word hope is used alot and dr glynn and the govt seem to believe that the kids wont get sick when they catch covid in the schools I.e. they hope cases will be asymptomatic while at the same time hoping schools wont close while forgetting that kids can pass this on to parents, siblings, grand parents, teachers, SNAs, principals, shops and the wider community

and forgetting that all these contacts who they no longer can trace can also pass it on to co-workers and others too ..

why did schools close In the first case if this powerful hope is so scientifically sound and strong?!!

I think we’ve adopted the Swedish model, they’re just not saying it.

I also think that the CMO and NPHET have a very poor understanding of how schools work (in particular secondary schools) if they think the only people that have to isolate are the people in the class of the student that tests positive. Let’s see, who are their contacts:

Well lots of students from different year groups if they come to school by bus.
    Any students in their year group that share a class with them, that’s going to be lots of students.
    Any students they are friends with from a different year group that they hang around with at break/lunch.
    Any student they spend time with doing an extra curricular activity whether that be inside or outside school.

It’s not just the ‘24’ in their class like the powers that be seem to think.

I dunno. Our ETB keeps half our grant 'for IT maintenance'. :rolleyes:

It should go to each individual school.
    To my knowledge (I'm not ETB though) It's the individual school that has to apply for it so I don't see how an ETB department can intervene.

This is public money so you should demand to see where it went, especially if nothing reached your school.... Or is this another case of someone in the ETB had a brother in IT who got the money for a 'consultation'.

Simple question to all local TDs requesting details how the money was spent.

Yeah, I know. It doesn't stop our ETB from dipping their hand in though. Sure who is going to stop them? The principal isn't going to ruffle any feathers. Everything has to go through the IT guys in head office and they are beyond useless.

When the building had a WiFi infrastructure setup we went months afterwards without being given the password. IT didn't think teachers should have access because we'd all hook up with our personal devices and slow the network down. Our students haven't their own devices, so nobody used it for months.

I'm in an ETB myself and the waste is shocking, and I spend a fair amount of time explaining to ICT what I want them to do, be faster if I did it but that would make their job redundant! The level of paperwork is amazing, a d I completely agree with the inner circle comment.

But, and maybe it's just my ETB, I've never seen grants being used by head office. They are deposited straight into school accounts. They would need to be moved after the fact. The principal must have no backbone of they are doing that and it is absolutely not what this money should be used for. I'd definitely be querying it with my local councillor/TD, whichever isn't on one of their boards!

I did hear from someone around a long time that there were more ancillary and office staff in our ETB than teachers......I'm inclined to believe this. A health and safety officer arrived out regarding Covid, never heard or seen this person before......I've been there 6 years

Treppen wrote: »
    It should go to each individual school.
    To my knowledge (I'm not ETB though) It's the individual school that has to apply for it so I don't see how an ETB department can intervene.

This is public money so you should demand to see where it went, especially if nothing reached your school.... Or is this another case of someone in the ETB had a brother in IT who got the money for a 'consultation'.

Simple question to all local TDs requesting details how the money was spent.

Worth looking at the school is Roscommon that was using money for food for kids form disadvantaged backgrounds for sport equipment......I actually shouldn't be surprised this is happening, I would just hope in most schools staff would go mental but that depends on the structure of the system too

Worth looking at the school is Roscommon that was using money for food for kids form disadvantaged backgrounds for sport equipment......I actually shouldn't be surprised this is happening, I would just hope in most schools staff would go mental but that depends on the structure of the system too

That’s not exactly the story at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I think we’ve adopted the Swedish model, they’re just not saying it.

I also think that the CMO and NPHET have a very poor understanding of how schools work (in particular secondary schools) if they think the only people that have to isolate are the people in the class of the student that tests positive. Let’s see, who are their contacts:

Well lots of students from different year groups if they come to school by bus.
    Any students in their year group that share a class with them, that’s going to be lots of students.
    Any students they are friends with from a different year group that they hang around with at break/lunch.
    Any student they spend time with doing an extra curricular activity whether that be inside or outside school.

It’s not just the ‘24’ in their class like the powers that be seem to think.

I think we all know that schools full reopening is the first major step towards herd immunity.

Blondini wrote: »
    I think we all know that schools full reopening is the first major step towards herd immunity.

guess all the office workers can go back once schools are on the go for a week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This all sounds very like my experience in an ETB school. Wifi password guarded like a state secret. Every device had to be handed to the principal to have it put in. Nobody allowed to have admin access no matter what. Teachers sent to ipad training courses in head office but then not able to download any of the apps required because they didn't have the password and principal said tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

combat14 wrote: »
    guess all the office workers can go back once schools are on the go for a week or two

We're definitely been drip feed the herd immunity approach.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-could-develop-herd-immunity-to-coronavirus-varadkar-39444743.html

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

one has to wonder why all the office workers cant go back now before schools if it is safe for schools to do so .. ??

Advertisement