Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

combat14 wrote: »
    one has to wonder why all the office workers cant go back now before schools if it is safe for schools to do so .. ??

One would also wonder when the TDs will give up the conference centre and return to the the Dail buildings, since it is so safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

combat14 wrote: »
    one has to wonder why all the office workers cant go back now before schools if it is safe for schools to do so .. ??

This is the moment of realisation that you are the sample being observed in the Petri dish to determine future decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Blondini wrote: »
    This is the moment of realisation that you are the sample being observed in the Petri dish to determine future decisions!

Where is the outrage?

Who will stand up and say No?

The unions have let us down badly here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Where is the outrage?

Again, we have 2 weeks to go. Leo saying his piece has alerted the most soporific parents to the inadequacies of the plan. I think they are doing well staying out of thr way and letting the silence do the damage.

I'd rather they focus on the prepost 2011 supervision rates to lay the ground work for future pay equalities.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Again, we have 2 weeks to go. Leo saying his piece has alerted the most soporific parents to the inadequacies of the plan. I think they are doing well staying out of thr way and letting the silence do the damage.

I'd rather they focus on the prepost 2011 supervision rates to lay the ground work for future pay equalities.

I really hope you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where is the outrage?

Personally think the unions as a while are playing a blinder. Media and parents are starting to question things as schools start communicating their back to school set ups and realisation is dawning on the more clued in parents what is actually happening.

Is unions were protesting pouring and thumping tables over the plan there would be only one narrative. Lazy teachers not wanting to go back, what about the poor students education, what about their mental health, teachers looking for danger money and/or a pay rise. This would have been the media angle, we all know it. Teachers and schools are doing their bit, not out fault that we are hamstrung by the 'plan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Personally think the unions as a while are playing a blinder. Media and parents are starting to question things as schools start communicating their back to school set ups and realisation is dawning on the more clued in parents what is actually happening.

Is unions were protesting pouring and thumping tables over the plan there would be only one narrative. Lazy teachers not wanting to go back, what about the poor students education, what about their mental health, teachers looking for danger money and/or a pay rise. This would have been the media angle, we all know it. Teachers and schools are doing their bit, not out fault that we are hamstrung by the 'plan'.

I completely agree. The only people that the media and government will listen to are the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'd agree that the unions should keep quiet. In John Boyle's case it's probably not a strategy though. I think he's on holidays. Hopefully they'll lock him in a room and gag him when he comes back.

I get the logic but it's boils down to a question of trust in the unions.

If the parents adopt a wait and see approach do we meekly walk back into school and jeopardise our health?

When do you see action being taken and by whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I get the logic but it's boils down to a question of trust in the unions.

If the parents adopt a wait and see approach do we meekly walk back into school and jeopardise our health?

When do you see action being taken and by whom?

Well it'll be a phased return end of Aug start of Sept. Parents association etc will be meeting them too with the boms. Plenty of time for more discussions and to present a united front.... Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

This all sounds very like my experience in an ETB school. Wifi password guarded like a state secret. Every device had to be handed to the principal to have it put in. Nobody allowed to have admin access no matter what. Teachers sent to ipad training courses in head office but then not able to download any of the apps required because they didn't have the password and principal said tough luck.

That actually was the case in the school I'm in. No one could get devices on the network either. When I arrived I had no idea, so a quick look at a networked computer and the server and I had both sorted. I had the printer set up on my phone by the end of the day and half the staffroom on the wifi.........no idea it was some mad secret, I'd shown a couple how to get the password too.

When I was queried I just incredulously asked why we would have a wifi network or an intranet if no one could access it. Honestly, if you think a few phones are slowing your wifi you'd want your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

When I was queried I just incredulously asked why we would have a wifi network or an intranet if no one could access it. Honestly, if you think a few phones are slowing your wifi you'd want your head examined.

While I completely agree with what you're saying. We did run into an unexpected problem. Students kept getting the wifi code. We had over 1000 devices connected to the network. While it didn't slow the service, we did however literally run out of IP addressss are other staff could no connect to the network.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Surely it could be set up for teachers only.
    Surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We had huge issues a few years ago with a maximum of 1000 devices too in a school that was transitioning to 1:1 devices. To the point that there was uncertainty if my Apple TV which I bought for my classroom could be use. It was mental but did get sorted in the end. However the WiFi is now so completely unreliable and unusable that I can’t use my Apple TV anyways and have mostly given up on it. Drives me demented

I mean theoretically we should be one of the schools who can live stream to overflow rooms without difficulty since we are 1:1. But honestly I couldn’t rely on it unless there was work done before school starts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

shesty wrote: »
    Surely it could be set up for teachers only.
    Surely.

It is. But some numpty in the classroom leaves the code open or on the board. Or some staff member just tells the students.

Remember we changed the WiFi code in February.

9am new code, 64 members logged on

11am, 780 logged on. Student had the code by then.

It's incredibly difficult to beat back staff stupidity.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah here.Your own worst enemies so.

Possible other solution then is to possibly have an open student network and a closed teacher one -but I appreciate that is most likely more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If we're to reduce paper the students shud have access to a network. I'd use online resources a lot in class and I've to use my mobile hotspot which can be as slow as a wet week, not really good enough in this day and age.

It's a pain with IPs, we set it up so wifi IPs were kicked off when inactive for a certain time, all our class computers etc were wired. Worked well, kids were essentially kicked off every class they had. Vpns were and issue too. Gave access to everything. Hard to keep it all locked down if you have kids with laptops too, they can get the password

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Management in our place trying to squeeze in space for 28/30 girls in each classroom now. This isnt going to end well. I knew the likes of this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Management in our place trying to squeeze in space for 28/30 girls in each classroom now. This isnt going to end well. I knew the likes of this would happen.

Just found out the same. They're saying my old classroom can fit 28. I had 30 in there last year for my 1st year class with desks all squished together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

67 new cases here today 74 in NI
    that's 141 cases on the island confirmed in the last 24 hours - it must be rampant out there now..

Ireland 'sleep-walking' toward major coronavirus outbreak unless there's a radical strategy change - expert warns

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-sleep-walking-toward-major-coronavirus-outbreak-unless-theres-a-radical-strategy-change-expert-warns-39449741.html

looks like urgent work needed on govts covid strategy before schools reopen in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Schools will open no matter what...when the outbreaks start the schools can be blamed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Seems there was misinformation or misunderstanding in some schools about the 1 metre distance, ETB thought it was head to head but now it seems it's measured from shoulder. 1 metre from head to head would be fairly tightly spaced imo.

I'd say with all of these things, the devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DubLad69

Seems there was misinformation or misunderstanding in some schools about the 1 metre distance, ETB thought it was head to head but now it seems it's measured from shoulder. 1 metre from head to head would be fairly tightly spaced imo.

I'd say with all of these things, the devil is in the detail.

The way that we measured it was that it needed to be one meter from any body part when the student is in their seat. Taking into account that a student can be both sitting up straight or bent over the desk writing.

We were due to vote for the LWR today but it was delayed due to some issue with the unions.

How exactly do we measure it? There definitely seems to be a lot of variance. Head to head seems mad give hoe much you love depending on what you are doing or even if your listening, writing, drawing etc. I can't remember seeing specifics in the documents but maybe I missed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It was very vague but I believe it is being clarified by TUI anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

We need the nuns back in schools to enforce social distancing - leave enough room for the Holy Spirit :)

I have to say the varience of response across schools is insane. There are schools building outdoor roofed Astros for lunch and schools doing nothing......I wonder will it draw attention to the less proactive principals out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I have to say the varience of response across schools is insane. There are schools building outdoor roofed Astros for lunch and schools doing nothing......I wonder will it draw attention to the less proactive principals out there

We're doing nothing building wise only removing furniture. Even at that they're trying to squeeze in a minimum of 28 in every room and 30+ in the bigger ones.

Our return is going to be relatively normal except everyone will be wearing masks. Making masks mandatory is actually going to be counter productive in our place as they think all SD can be thrown out the window.

• Advertisement

It's crazy, where is that extra money going? Is it down to the paperwork not being done because they aren't bothered. At the very least it's an opertunity to add something small to the school, outside paving or benches or whatever, seems mad to pass it up when it so rare

Advertisement