Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option to screen v mesh wire fench

Options
  • 13-06-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

We're replacing our old rotten timber fence with V mesh wire fencing, total length is 73mtrs and it's at the back and sides of the house. I don't want to see the fence so was going to plant something to cover it. So far I have two ideas:-

Evergreen hedge - leaning towards western red cedar or privet
    Evergreen climber - eg honeysuckle.

Anyone got any thoughts on either of these options? Or alternative suggestions? Will the cedar hedge get patchy and brown in areas? Laurel is out and so is Griselinia.

We have neighbours each side but just a strip of native hedge at the back forming a border between another housing estate - we're leaving that there even though our boundary includes it - there are lots of birds and hedgehogs living in that patch and I don't want to interfere with them. The neighbours both have laurels planted their side of the fence.

Thanks a mil:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I find cedar a bit dense, and privet a bit small for a long hedge.

I planted Eleagnus X ebbingei and Viburnum tinus in winter 2017/18 so they're now mid way through the third season.

Despite the Eleagnus having supposedly greater final height the Viburnum is actually doing better, is head high in places and a lovely colour and vigour.

I'm just about to attempt the first light prune.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

Lumen wrote: »
    I find cedar a bit dense, and privet a bit small for a long hedge.

I planted Eleagnus X ebbingei and Viburnum tinus in winter 2017/18 so they're now mid way through the third season.

Despite the Eleagnus having supposedly greater final height the Viburnum is actually doing better, is head high in places and a lovely colour and vigour.

I'm just about to attempt the first light prune.

Thanks😊. I've not come across them before and did a quick Google search, they look really nice, I especially like the fact that the Viburnum flowers. Any chance you'd share a picture of how yours looks?

Redchick wrote: »
    Thanks��. I've not come across them before and did a quick Google search, they look really nice, I especially like the fact that the Viburnum flowers. Any chance you'd share a picture of how yours looks?

Here's a vid. They're obviously quite bush like right now, but I want them to grow to 2.5m so I've been letting them do their own thing so far.

The fence behind is 4ft tall.

I need to cut back the overhanging trees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

Lumen wrote: »
    Here's a vid. They're obviously quite bush like right now, but I want them to grow to 2.5m so I've been letting them do their own thing so far.

The fence behind is 4ft tall.

I need to cut back the overhanging trees too.

Looks beautiful, thanks for sharing it.

So did you alternate the two different species?

Redchick wrote: »
    Looks beautiful, thanks for sharing it.

So did you alternate the two different species?

No, there's a run of Eleagnus going under the trees on one boundary. That species is supposed to cope better being planted under trees and may attain an eventual height of 4m once the trees are removed.

That video shows the Viburnum which is planted on another boundary where there are neighbouring trees but not on my site.

I slightly regret not choosing laurel instead of Eleagnus but then everyone has laurel so it seemed a bit of a boring choice.

But the Viburnum has worked out great so far, and the flowers are pretty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement