Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Kev, we've been through so much together. You wouldn't do this to me now, surely?

tenor.gif

In 17th place -Pain of Salvation - Beyond the Pale
    -submitted by
    S1ippy

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts:
    Another interesting intro, was really disappointed it wasn’t some sort of black metal band with a name like that! The guitar bit from the start is already starting to annoy me. Vocals are interesting but theres not really enough to keep me interested for the 10 minute track time. Its not a bad track, the breakdown I a welcomed change, but its just a bit to long and that annoying guitar bit makes another appearance for the outro

In 3rd place – Linkin Park – In The End - submitted by
    Y0ssae1an22

Have I heard the band: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: Hybrid Theory was one of the first albums I brought with my own money, so it will always be great to me, I remember being amazed by the video for this one as well. Piano intro is great and theres a great contrast between the verses and chorus. This is exactly the type of song I had in mind when I decided on this category.

In 18th place – Youngblood – The Naked and the Famous- submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: I’m not sure what that high frequency synth at the start is but its already ruined this song for me. Like both the vocals but that synth is really putting me off. I feel this sound was very big around the late noughties, reminds me of bands like Passion pit. Not the worst song by any means but that synth really put me off it personally, probably doesnt deserve to be last but this was a quality round and unfortunately for Liz someone had to come in last

1st place goes to Papa Roach – Between Angles and Insects
    - submitted by
    ASLB

Thoughts Another belter from Papa Roach, this is the exact song I would’ve entered this round, it really is teenage angst packed into a 4 minute song. The chorus definitely makes this song, I remember belting this out in my room on many occasions, especially with the fcuks came in on the final chorus. Tasty little bass line in it as well

• Advertisement

So that leaves us with 2nd and 16th place, which means we will have an outright winner. Sorry EN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Whoop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

phatkev wrote: »
    So that leaves us with 2nd and 16th place, which means we will have an outright winner. Sorry EN!!
    tenor.gif

In 16th place – Limp Bizkit – My Way- submitted by
    ShaneU

Thoughts Unfortunately for Shane, Limp Bizit were one of the few nu-metal bands I didn’t have much pass on, could just never warm to Fred Durst. His voice just really annoys me for some reason, so this song was always going to struggle.

Which means In 2nd place and taking the inaugural PhatKev Walrus is
    the Purple Tin
    with – Rory Gallagher – A Million Miles Away

Thoughts: Whilst I was even alive when this came out, Gallaghers music shaped my musical taste as a teenager. When my Da started to show how to play guitar as a young lad it was always little blues licks and scales, the Bad Penny intro was one of the first riffs I ever learned. Its been a long while since I’ve listened to him and its still as good as ever. The level of guitar playing is so good and then to have the voice to go with is brilliant. Some tasty piano playing through out this one as well and brass section is always welcomed

• Advertisement

The Final Table:
    KIG5dXel.png

Thanks for playing along, I know it got a bit disjointed but at the time of signing up I'd loads of free time and then BAM work and life got in the way. The game definitely served its purpose though, loads of excellent music submitted and lots of new artists making it into my playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats Purple Tin!

Great Walrus, Kev! Cheers!

Nice one Kev, these walrus seem like a big undertaking so I always appreciate it (and am scared to do my own!)

Congrats Purple, never going to argue with being beaten by Rory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Woohoo, wooden spoon!!!
    Thank you for organising Kev.
    And congratulations to The Purple Tin.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Very dramatic finish! I regret nothing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

That was great craic kev, quality categories and fun reveal - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,242 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm happy with 16th, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Nice reveal Kev. Exciting finish to see who took it down, closest in a while I'd say with 4 in the running. Unlucky EN and congrats Purple Tin

ShaneU wrote: »
    Very dramatic finish! I regret nothing!
    Likewise!

fe9.gif

At least Puressence and She Past Away were big successes :)

• Advertisement

Damn, yet again I came agonisingly close and yet still can't win one of these. :( Actually, I'm more annoyed by "Young Blood" coming in last - that's a great song! I hereby rescind your victory in my Walrus. >___<;

But thanks for the Reveal and all that!

And of course big congrats to The Purple Tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yippee!
    It's my first ever win (and probably my last ever too) :D
    Thanks the reveal and exciting finale, Phatkev. I was sure I would bomb out.
    Cheers everybody.
    d_w7Ct.gif

Advertisement