Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

In 18th place - Fields of Verdun by Sabaton, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Have I heard the band/Artist: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Sorry Shelly, this was rock bottom after one listen and never moved after listen 2 or 3! Here are some of the notes I jotted down during each listen.
    • Not feeling the intro
    • The explosion sound effects are another negative for me
    • Big no on the vocals
    • The beat kept my foot tapping and the guitar solo is nice
    • Just not for me

Score:4.9

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

So I'm in the top or bottom 3...

tumblr_pqkrgrCicI1w4fcdu_540.gif
    tenor.gif

Coming in 3rd place - India by Puressence, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: This is brilliant, added to the playlist straight away! Never heard of these guys, they seem to have got lost in the crowd of the bands that came out of Manchester in the mid 90’s. Love the vocals, pure emotion. Unlike the Na’s by Wilson Pickett, I really enjoyed the La parts of this song

Score:8.7

phatkev wrote: »
    Coming in 3rd place - India by Puressence, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: This is brilliant, added to the playlist straight away! Never heard of these guys, they seem to have got lost in the crowd of the bands that came out of Manchester in the mid 90’s. Love the vocals, pure emotion. Unlike the Na’s by Wilson Pickett, I really enjoyed the La parts of this song

Score:8.7

Ah brilliant, delighted you loved it :D
    They really did get lost in the crowd, they were probably my favourite band for a time. Their first two albums in particular are cracking

In 2nd place - America by Simon and Garfunkel, submitted by
    Sawduck

Have I heard the band/Artist: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: Its been a long time since I’ve heard this song and its still as good as ever. Paul Simon really is in the elite category of songwriters. The lyrics start of so optimistic, but don’t take long to turn to sadness. Love the use of Major 7ths. Toms are a really under-utilised part of drums, used to great effect here. Harmonies are really beautiful. There’s really not much you can complain about on this song. That last run of the chorus is class

Score:9.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sounds like a bad Radiohead song, not a fan

(Puressence not the amazing S&G obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

2nd place, not to bad, i'll take that but one of these days i will see my name at the top of the leaderboard,maybe

In 1st place we have Rainy Night in Soho by The Pogues, submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Have I heard the band/Artist: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: This is just perfect, I had a list of the 6 songs that I’d submit for each round and this is the one I chose for the Places round. Great choice CJ, I feel a bit sorry for S1ippy as they chopped and changed between this and the Ronnie Drew version, before settling on the latter

Score: 10

ShaneU wrote: »
    Sounds like a bad Radiohead song, not a fan

(Puressence not the amazing S&G obviously)
    There's no such thing so maybe your computer's on mute ;)

Nice one kev, great reveal :)

Highest place song you hadn't heard of is a special prize, right? :p

• Advertisement

Name Rd1
    JP Liz V1 8
    Homer J. Fong 9
    Sawduck 17
    Also Starring LaVar Burton 3
    CJ Maxx 18
    The Purple Tin 10
    Gru 12
    Irish Aris 4
    ShaneU 6
    Osh 13
    Lassykk 5
    y0ssae1an22 15
    Mustang Shelly 1
    S1ippy 7
    Rothko 14
    Fixxxer 11
    Barney92 2
    Electric Nitwit 16

Scores after round 1, thanks for joining in this evening:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 18th place - Fields of Verdun by Sabaton, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Thoughts: Sorry Shelly, this was rock bottom after one listen and never moved after listen 2 or 3! Here are some of the notes I jotted down during each listen.
    • Not feeling the intro
    • The explosion sound effects are another negative for me
    • Big no on the vocals
    • The beat kept my foot tapping and the guitar solo is nice
    • Just not for me

Score:4.9

Oh shoots, I forgot there is a history version and non history version (i.e. no weird intro and no gun fight throughout, plus approx 1 minute less run time), I've actually never listened to the history version before :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A few songs here that I haven't heard of so I'll have to check them out.

Rainy Night In Soho is a worthy winner of this round. Fantastic song.

Oh shoots, I forgot there is a history version and non history version (i.e. no weird intro and no gun fight throughout, plus approx 1 minute less run time), I've actually never listened to the history version before :p.

Ah sh1t, my bad never even realised there was two versions, just went with the first one I found! I dont think it would have moved it off the bottom spot if thats a consolation:o

In 10th place we have Corsican by The Antlers, submitted by
    Homer J. Fong

Thoughts: So prior to listening to this one I’d never heard of the Antlers or this song, but as soon as the first notes hit I had the feeling I’d heard it somewhere before. After doing a bit of digging it turns out I went to see their lead singer perform in the Unitarian church in Dublin.
    I think this was the hardest song to mark, I really wasn’t into the first listen, then second time around it grew on me, I listened to it again after that and I was back to not really being a fan of it. Its definitely an emotionally song and you can clearly hear that from the vocalist, but I was waiting for the song to move up a notch and it just never came.

Score:7.3

I was at that Unitarian Church gig too! His voice is incredible, albeit not perhaps one you could listen to for too long in one go. I've a patchy history with the Antlers live though; saw them in the Olympia theatre a few years ago but had to leave before the end because I started feeling unwell (and it wasn't alcohol-induced). And then a couple of years later I was supposed to see them at the Sugar Club when I got a migraine the day of the gig - thankfully was just about able to use my mental faculties to find a buyer on Toutless, before heading home and feeling sorry for myself. :(

If I was only destined to get an average score, I'm at least glad I gave you the one that was hardest to mark! :p

Ah sh1t, my bad never even realised there was two versions, just went with the first one I found! I dont think it would have moved it off the bottom spot if thats a consolation:o

Ah no worries, I don't particularly like that song anyway. I am doing my best to select songs other than those from my beloved Nightwish as I think people may be sick of me nominating them all of the time :D

(it killed me not to nominate Over The Hills And Far Away).

I don't particularly like that song anyway
    Interesting tactic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

(it killed me not to nominate Over The Hills And Far Away).

I've got that one covered for rainbowtrouts Eurovision Tournament.

Interesting tactic :pac:

It is on an album that I have by them and I normally turn it off before I get to that song :p

I've got that one covered for rainbowtrouts Eurovision Tournament.

What's this Eurovision tournament?

I saw the thread title and assumed it was based on entries to the Eurovision. You can nominate non-contest songs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What's this Eurovision tournament?

I saw the thread title and assumed it was based on entries to the Eurovision. You can nominate non-contest songs?

Yes that one, but you can nominate non-Eurovision songs for it.

Yes that one, but you can nominate non-Eurovision songs for it.

I'll have to take a look at that later if it's still open.

Kev, I'd just like to point out that my entry for the teenage years is officially (according to boards) the best band of the 90s, so I expect to win that round ;)

I should have round 2 of this ready to go this evening. Marking was a lot more even for this round than the previous one, nothing reached the dizzying heights of A Rainy night in Soho, but some very interesting songs submitted for it. There was one track I absolutely hated but every thing else got decent scores

edit: Its the Non English speaking countries round I'll be going through

There was one track I absolutely hated

Uh oh!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

was my exact thought as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

was my exact thought as well!

Just what I was thinking too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Look this way I'd imagine :(

cj maxx wrote: »
    Look this way I'd imagine :(

I came rock bottom in the first round so wouldn't be surprised if I am last here again. Although I absolutely love my nomination for this round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I came rock bottom in the first round so wouldn't be surprised if I am last here again. Although I absolutely love my nomination for this round.

I was fairly low in the first round but I'm fairly confident that mine isn't that one song that's going to be last. Maybe middle of the pack because of the language - though, like you, I absolutely love it!!

Advertisement