Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm confident it's not mine that was hated. Whelan's described my pick as "Like Robert Smith leading Joy Division", what's not to love?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm confident it's not mine that was hated. Whelan's described my pick as "Like Robert Smith leading Joy Division", what's not to love?!

giphy.gif

I'm cautiously optimistic mine isn't the *absolutely hated* one, it might not score high or be everyone's cup of tea but I can't imagine someone hating it that much; indifference to mild dislike maybe. I think it's great though!

*waits for Reveal and for this comment to bite me in the ass* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

After scoring high in round 1 i'm hoping it's not my song you hate, i think this act is pretty awesome but they might not be for everyone's taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ah ha ha, I love seeing people on edge:pac::pac:

I'll be back on around 8 to reveal all

• Advertisement

In 15th place we have Wallenstein by dArtagnan, submitted by
    Sawduck

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Decent song, not exactly the sound you’d expect from violins and Mandolas. Not sure how I feel about folk metal. The word WALLENSTEIN is stuck in my head now

Score: 6.6

In joint 13th place - A Minha Menina by Os Mutantes, submitted by
    Osh
    and
    Rothko

Have I heard the band: Yes

Have I heard the song: yes

Thoughts: Instantly recognise that guitar riff. Outside of that riff theres not a whole lot that sticks out for me, the more I listen to it the more I like the vocals though

Score: 6.7

In 12th place we have Crapa Pedala - Quartetto, submitted by
    s1ippy

Thoughts: Very old timey sound, first section of the song is something I’d expect to hear in a film noir. Vocals start to get a bit strange but I kind of like it

Score: 6.8

In 11th place we have Kyu Sakamoto - Ueo Muite Arukou, submitted by
    ShaneU

Thoughts: this was another one that is fine, but there’s nothing that really pulls me in. Strings and brass are nice and a good whistle is very underappreciated!

Score: 6.8

In 10th place - La Bamba by Los Lobos, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: Seen these guys live years ago and remember leaving the gig very disappointed. Classic intro, that’s instantly recognisable. Chorus is good fun, but the track gets a little repetitive and its only 2:52 long! Like the outro bit

Score: 7.0

• Advertisement

In 9th place we have Co sie z nami stalo by Stachy Na Lachy, submitted by
    Also Starring LaVar Burton

Thoughts: Intro is decent, I also like the organ part going through out. Thought the backing vocals that came in near the end added a little extra to it, would have liked them in it through out. Decent song, but I wouldn’t be in a rush to go out and listen to their stuff

Score: 7.3

In 8th - No Dejes Que by Caifanes, submitted by
    The Purple Tin

Thoughts: Bass line is the first thing to stick out at me, enjoying the overall song of it. Kept tinking they kind of sound like a Spanish version of the band Hunters and gatherers. The chorus is a little bit under whelming. Like the song previous to this, I do like it, but wouldn’t be in a mad rush to go and listen to their back catalogue

Score: 7.3

In 7th place - Encore une Fois by Sash!, submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Thoughts: I definitely remember sitting in front of the TV on Saturday morning watching the Top 30 hits (or something similar) and seeing this plastered all over them. Im a big fan of electronic music, but this wouldn’t be the typical sort of thing I’d listen to, but I’m really enjoying it.

Score: 7.4

In 6th place we have Despacito by Luis Fonsi, submitted by
    Barney92

Thoughts: I’m not a bit ashamed to say I really like this song, I said in the covers competition that was ran a while back that it’s a really good summer pop song. Some bits of it that I could do without, but overall, it’s a good track

Score: 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

time to get worried, or excited i guess

In 5th place - Andre, die das Land so Sehr Nicht Liebten by Zupfgeigenhansel, submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Thoughts: This is great, love a bit of double bass, nice melodies and harmonies going through out it. The tune really reminds me of something but I cant put my finger on it. Has already made its way onto one of my playlists.
    I'm still not sure which of them is the artist and which is the song name:pac:

Score: 7.9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Garfunkel vibes off that German song who's name is too long to type.

In 4th place - Du Hast by Rammstein, submitted by
    Lassykk

Thoughts: I listened to this directly after the Sash tune, going by the intro I thought it had continued onto another dance tune. But didn’t take long for the guitars/drums to come crashing in! The guitar riff going through it is very effective, love the vocals. The sythy bit is a nice addition as well

Score: 8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Love the tune behind Du Hast. Don't know what the words mean but love the tube!

Again...
    So I'm in the top or bottom 3...

tumblr_pqkrgrCicI1w4fcdu_540.gif

• Advertisement

Right I'll go through 16th, 3rd, 17th and 2nd place now and leave last and 1st till the end to keep the tension going

In 16th Place - have Das Meer by Diorama, submitted by
    Irish Aris

Thoughts: Starts off good, but gets very repetitive very quick! Never a massive fan of this power ballad type song. Its way to long, I’ve lost interest by the end

Score: 6.5

In 17th place - Pazza Inter by Trio Neroazzurro, submitted by
    y0ssae1an22

Thoughts: This is OK, but I cant see it pumping up a team or a stadium full of fans(although I’ve no idea if its used this way). Some super cheesy sounds in this one!
    Sorry y0ssae1an22, but I guess you can take solace in the fact that you're not last

Score: 5.8

I'm cautiously optimistic mine isn't the *absolutely hated* one, it might not score high or be everyone's cup of tea but I can't imagine someone hating it that much; indifference to mild dislike maybe. I think it's great though!

*waits for Reveal and for this comment to bite me in the ass* :p

ab4.gif

In 3rd place - Durdu Dunya by She Past Away submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: Second podium finish for EN! I had a big post punk phase at the end of my teens and these guys would have definitely made the cut. I think they’d fit in right alongside Joy Division, New Order, Killing Joke and the like.

Score: 8.2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

**** :-/

phatkev wrote: »
    In 3rd place - Durdu Dunya by She Past Away submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: Second podium finish for EN! I had a big post punk phase at the end of my teens and these guys would have definitely made the cut. I think they’d fit in right alongside Joy Division, New Order, Killing Joke and the like.

Score: 8.2

Whoo-hoo! :D

Delighted you liked them! I found them on a random trawl through Whelan's listings (as you do) and it liked what I heard. I was tempted to go see them in May but it got postponed anyway, I'll see you there in September!

http://www.whelanslive.com/index.php/she-past-away-2/

In 2nd place - Salt by Mammut submitted by
    Homer J Fong

Thoughts: Liking the sound of this. Being an Icelandic group with a female singer they’re probably blue in the face with this comparison, but you can definitely here Bjork influences in this. Will be checking more of these out, that’s for sure

Score: 8.6

ab4.gif

You can lay off the nails now:pac:

• Advertisement

I'm still nervous about seeing who's bottom :pac:

Advertisement