Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Which means 1st place goes to the iconic Tom Waits with God's Away On Business - submitted by
    The Purple Tin

Have I heard the band: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts This is such a good song, and I fully understand that theres a lot of people that will totally disagree with that statement! Waits has such a unique voice, the brass accompaniment is an excellent addition to the song. Love the fact he calls “being good” a temptation! “There’s always Free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby” is another brilliant line and reminds me of the classic line from Scroobius Pip “you see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fcuking challenge”!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

phatkev wrote: »
    In 8th place -Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python - submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Thoughts: Lovely tune, but I did always feel it went on a bit long when watching the movie. The backing music is really good and I never realised/didn’t remember a full orchestra accompanying them. Very infectious, feel good song
    That leaves us with the podium places and the bottom 3. Players with their name yet to be called are Barney92, Gru, Irish Aris, JP Liz V1,ShaneU and The Purple Tin

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Which means 1st place goes to the iconic Tom Waits with God's Away On Business - submitted by
    The Purple Tin

Thoughts This is such a good song, and I fully understand that theres a lot of people that will totally disagree with that statement! Waits has such a unique voice, the brass accompaniment is an excellent addition to the song. Love the fact he calls “being good” a temptation! “There’s always Free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby” is another brilliant line and reminds me of the classic line from Scroobius Pip “you see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fcuking challenge”!

cracking song, this and Temptation are my favourite Waits songs.
    I expected to place a bit better in this round, but some great songs in this list again

And the updated leader board: EN is still hanging on to the top spot, The Purple Tin as moved in to joint first with the top marks in that round. Theres also changes at the bottom with Fixxxer moving off the foot of the table

Name | Rd1 | Rd2 | Rd3 | Rd4 | Rd5 | Rd6 | Total
    Electric Nitwit | 16 | 16 | 9 | 14 | | | 55 |
    The Purple Tin | 10 | 11 | 16 | 18 | | | 55 |
    Homer | 9 | 17 | 14 | 13 | | | 53 |
    CJ Maxx | 18 | 12 | 6 | 12 | | | 48 |
    ShaneU | 6 | 8 | 18 | 16 | | | 48 |
    Osh | 13 | 6 | 8 | 17 | | | 44 |
    Gru | 12 | 18 | 11 | 2 | | | 43 |
    S1ippy | 7 | 7 | 15 | 10 | | | 39 |
    y0ssae1an22 | 15 | 2 | 7 | 15 | | | 39 |
    JP Liz V1 | 8 | 14 | 1 | 11 | | | 34 |
    Barney92 | 2 | 13 | 17 | 1 | | | 33 |
    Sawduck | 17 | 4 | 4 | 7 | | | 32 |
    Lassykk | 5 | 15 | 2 | 8 | | | 30 |
    ASLB | 3 | 10 | 12 | 4 | | | 29 |
    Rothko | 14 | 6 | 3 | 6 | | | 29 |
    Fixxxer | 11 | 1 | 5 | 9 | | | 26 |
    Mustang Shelly | 1 | 9 | 10 | 5 | | | 25 |
    Irish Aris | 14 | 3 | 13 | 3 | | | 23 |

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :confused:

Ha, my bad, not sure what I was at there

• Advertisement

Happy enough with 6th place, this was one of the more difficult categories for me. I struggled to think of a song that was getting me through being stuck inside so instead went with one to remind me of the good things that will be out there in the future. :)

Very happy with the winner of this round, great to see Tom Waits finally do well in a Walrus round! Really brilliant choice purple tin. :D

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the glorious Tom Waits/Cookie Monster mash up that everybody needs in their life:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

And the updated leader board: EN is still hanging on to the top spot, The Purple Tin as moved in to joint first with the top marks in that round
    I shall not
    I shall not be moved
    I shall not
    I shall not be moved

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 15th place -Barenaked Ladies - Odds Are - submitted by
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: I only know one or two Barenaked Ladies songs, this isn’t one of them but they definitely have their own sound. Theres not a whole lot to pull me into this one, never really moved from where I placed it on the first listen. Again, not a bad track, I just don’t think it’s at the same standard as some of the other entries

Ah well, I knew this one was a risky one going in, it's far from their best (they actually have some cracking songs aside from the one or two everyone would be familiar with) but I just love the lyrics and much like with EN thinking of Longview (excellent choice by the way) and then not being able to see anything else as the choice for this category, that's how I felt about Odds Are.

Looks like I'll be fighting to just keep the wooden spoon out of my grasp, unless my final two songs left more of an impression than 3 out of the 4 rounds so far have... :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Well that was my dodgiest entry thus far. It was one of the first songs to get stuck in my head during lockdown though so I felt obliged to enter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Fair play cjmaxx, very interesting selection!!

I find it a real 'pick me up' song. Dedicated by me to my daughter.
    It's the one cd I keep in the car.
    Sad but true. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The Purple Tin

This is a brilliant song, great pick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Stiff competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't stand Tom Waits' voice but music taste is all opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can't stand Tom Waits' voice but music taste is all opinions

First time I think I've ever heard him was just now and I'd have to agree with you!

lassykk wrote: »
    First time I think I've ever heard him was just now and I'd have to agree with you!

He doesn't sing like that in all his music. In his earlier years both his voice and his music had more of a conventional singer-songwriter type sound. His music started getting "weirder" and more experimental as he got older, and years of heavy drinking and smoking altered his voice to become more gravelly and dark.

Still a bit of an acquired taste but given the difference in sound over the years I'd say it's very possible that one might enjoy some of his earlier stuff while not enjoying his later stuff at all, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Purple Tin

Excellent, it is the first time one of my choices came top :) Cool that it was old Tom who got me there as well :cool:

Also the first time I've ever been at the top of the leaderboard in a walrus, no matter what happens now, I feel like a winner :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In 7th place -Come Back Home - The Greatest Showman - submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Ok so I knew Jackman done movies with singing in them, but never realised he was good at it!! Wasn’t a fan of the start of the song and I’m glad they upped the tempo a bit. Support/backing vocals are very good. Did not expect to hear a banjo in this piece!

A great film and soundtrack, Hugh is so likeable and versatile, next up Wolverine and Deadpool the Musical :p

And the updated leader board: EN is still hanging on to the top spot, The Purple Tin as moved in to joint first with the top marks in that round

Name | Rd1 | Rd2 | Rd3 | Rd4 | Rd5 | Rd6 | Total
    Electric Nitwit | 16 | 16 | 9 | 14 | | | 55
    The Purple Tin | 10 | 11 | 16 | 18 | | | 55
    Homer | 9 | 17 | 14 | 13 | | | 53
    This is like coronavirus stopping the Premier League when Liverpool were winning :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well while you are waiting, why not wet your whistle with a different Walrus folks ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058108481

Alright lads, apologies for the massive delay on this one, the last month as been a bit mental and I just havent been able to find the time to get this done. The Good news I've the last two rounds marked up and I hope to be able to get both of them up this week (I'll definitely get one of them up)

• Advertisement

Just checked what's coming next - it's a band that Aris didn't like when I submitted them in his walrus. I trust you more though Kev ;)

11 weeks I've been at the top, it's been amazing!

Might get a round of this done this evening if theres not any other games going on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Might get a round of this done this evening if theres not any other games going on

I think you are good to go phatkev.
    There is only one other competition going on at the moment, for the best FIFA goal, but I think we can easily follow both of them.

Disaster has struck, I'd done a right up on each track and I cant for the life of me find it. Theres no way I'm typing it all out again, so I'll just roll with the position/submitter/youtube link for this round

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Thunderbirds are go?!

s1ippy wrote: »
    Thunderbirds are go?!

2cf189d42acbc7de2a39f8731fc8d372.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Which category is this again? :o

So this is the Irish Artists one

In 15th place -Big Generator - Walking In My Shoes- submitted by