Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

phatkev wrote: »
    In 15th place -Big Generator - Walking In My Shoes- submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Have I heard the band: Yes

Have I heard the song: No

A Depeche Mode cover, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

In 13th place - My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow - submitted by
    Osh

These look a bit bare without any sort of comments so I'll try to do a (very) short recap.
    Loved the heavy bits of this song, felt the washed out vocals really brought the song down a notch imo

In 12th place -Horslips – Dearg Doom
    - submitted by
    Fixxxer

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: Horslips really nailed the trad rock sound, but I think the amount of times i'd seen them during my college years kind of ruined the band for me. Solid tune, just not that massively into it

In 11th place – Horslips - Trouble- submitted by
    Sawduck

Thoughts: just pips the previous track imo, really like how the electric guitar and flute? mixed together on this one

In 10th place – Clara Rose - Broken Woman Blues- submitted by
    The Purple Tin

Have I heard the band: No

Thoughts: Really enjoyed this one, was unlucky to only get to the number 10 spot, but the 9 tracks in front of it were just that bit stronger for me

• Advertisement

ehm, phatkev, was the second Horslips song meant to be 11th? You mentioned 12th twice. . . :)

Irish Aris wrote: »
    ehm, phatkev, was the second Horslips song meant to be 11th? You mentioned 12th twice. . . :)

whoops, thats what doing it on the fly will do to ya!:o

Irish Aris wrote: »

fixed now, we'll pretend that never happened:P

In 9th place -Little Green Cars - The John Wayne- submitted by
    Rothko

Thoughts: I had a whole story typed up about this one :(
    Never a band I was that familiar with but really enjoy this song. Beautiful harmonies through out. love how the music steps up a gear around the 2 minute mark

In 8th place -Travega - The Walls (Are Covered In My Name) - submitted by
    ALSB

Thoughts: Was really impressed with this one, not sure how the band passed me by because this was the exact sort of music I was into, around the time this would have been released. The additional voals towards the end really added to the song, thought the piano track was a solid addition as well

• Advertisement

In 7th place -Director – Reconnect - submitted by
    Gru

Thoughts: have always loved Director, criminally under-rated band imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good work with the live thoughts Kev. I can't listen now but there's a few I really want to catch up with based on what you're saying

In 6th place –Mic Christopher - Heyday- submitted by
    ShaneU

Thoughts: This is another great tune, instantly makes me think of beer gardens and pints. The use of strings elevates the track

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Aw that album cover has some bang of nostalgia off it, fair dues ShaneU...

Love the Horslips, just enjoying those tracks now. Nice one Sawduck and Fixxxer!

In 5th place – JJ72 - Snow- submitted by
    LassyKK

Thoughts: This one is full of nostalgia for me. they managed to get such a big sound for a 3 piece, its a great chorus as well. He's got a very unique vocals. I seem to remember them being pretty big and then just disappeared, although I do remember hearing stories of the singer being a bit of a diva and fairly prone to a throwing a strop

In 4th place - Talos - Odyssey - submitted by
    S1ippy

Thoughts: Love Talos, anytime of seen them I've just been blown away. Really atmospheric and love the slow build up through out the song, he can really hit them high notes as well!

so that leaves the top/bottom 3 to go. The people still waiting to hear their called are: Barney92, CJ Maxx, Electric Nitwit, Homer J Fong, Irish Aris and y0ssae1an22

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

In 16th place - Virgin prunes - Caucasian walk- submitted by
    Irish Aris

Thoughts I was really interested in the start of this one, like the punk sounding vocals, but the more I listened to it the lower it fell. I think it was the guitar that done it for me, it got a bit annoying as the song went on. Im not really sure what was going on for the last 40 seconds. Sorry IA

• Advertisement

ah, I actually had high hopes for this one. . .oh, well. . .

giphy.gif

In 3rd place – Sleep Thieves - Sparks - submitted by
    Homer J Fong

Thoughts: Really liked the sound of this, the vocals are super familiar but I cant place them. Big fan of all the different sounds they've managed to incorporate in it, love the delay effect on the solo bit.

In 17th place -The Golden Horde - Have a scene -submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Thoughts: Found it really hard to find a decent version of this, quality wise. Lively start but after that I cant help but feel I'm just listening to a Ramones song. So yeah, as mentioned the version I found is terrible quality, Im not sure this is the sound they were going for ( a la 90's black metal bands) or if they just never got into a studio

In 2nd place – Fight Like Apes - Battlestations- submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: Another podium finish for EN. I fecking love Fight Like Apes. They were big around the time I would have been in college and I remember their live shows being absolutely mental. Love her vocals especially around the 2 minute mark. The only knock I'd have on is the vocal sample used, but she even says that sounds a bit sh1t:pac:

Ha ha, I worried picking a song that says "I dont feel like playing this song again, the sample sounds like **** and, I dont want to hear it again" was tempting fate but I love it! Delighted you did too :D

In 18th place - Joe Dolan - Westmeath Bachelor- submitted by
    Barney92

Thoughts: Unfortunately someone has to take last spot and its Barney of the second time in two rounds. I afraid the "Joe Show" is just not for me, anytime I hear a "yee haw", "yaa who" or "diddly i" mentioned in a song I'm going to lose interest

Which means 1st place goes to - The Frames - Revelate
    - submitted by
    y0ssae1an22

Thoughts The Frames got me my first and only suspension from secondary school, we'd been bused up from wexford for a college course fair in the RDS and a couple of us decided to ditch the rest of the losers to go see the Frames in the HMV on Grafton street. Other than Fitzcarraldo this would be my favourite Frames song. Also Colm Mac Con Iomaire is an absolute musical wizard, it blows my mind what he can do with a fiddle, any of his solo stuff would have scored very high on this list

Heres the scores after round 5, has Electric Nitwit already got one hand on the trophy or will one of the chasing pack pip them to the post?

Name | Rd1 | Rd2 | Rd3 | Rd4 | Rd5 | Rd6 | Total
    Electric Nitwit | 16 | 16 | 9 | 14 | 17 | | 72 |
    Homer | 9 | 17 | 14 | 13 | 16 | | 69 |
    The Purple Tin | 10 | 11 | 16 | 18 | 9 | | 64 |
    ShaneU | 6 | 8 | 18 | 16 | 13 | | 61 |
    y0ssae1an22 | 15 | 2 | 7 | 15 | 18 | | 57 |
    Gru | 12 | 18 | 11 | 2 | 12 | | 55 |
    S1ippy | 7 | 7 | 15 | 10 | 15 | | 54 |
    CJ Maxx | 18 | 12 | 6 | 12 | 2 | | 50 |
    Osh | 13 | 6 | 8 | 17 | 6 | | 50 |
    Lassykk | 5 | 15 | 2 | 8 | 14 | | 44 |
    Sawduck | 17 | 4 | 4 | 7 | 8 | | 40 |
    ASLB | 3 | 10 | 12 | 4 | 11 | | 40 |
    JP Liz V1 | 8 | 14 | 1 | 11 | 5 | | 39 |
    Rothko | 14 | 6 | 3 | 6 | 10 | | 39 |
    Barney92 | 2 | 13 | 17 | 1 | 1 | | 34 |
    Fixxxer | 11 | 1 | 5 | 9 | 7 | | 33 |
    Mustang Shelly | 1 | 9 | 10 | 5 | 4 | | 29 |
    Irish Aris | 14 | 3 | 13 | 3 | 3 | | 26 |

Thanks for joining in this round, apologies for the lack of commentary on each entry

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    Heres the scores after round 5, has Electric Nitwit already got one hand on the trophy or will one of the chasing pack pip them to the post?
    Whoo-hoo :)

I'll be surprised if my final round submission is in the middle of the pack. I love it, and hope you will too, but it's definitely not for everyone. Blaze of glory or down in flames? :p

Advertisement