Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Gate Issue

Options
  • 13-06-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

With the lockdown our gates have been left open for the last 3.5 months. I went to close them last night but couldn't. I texted the gsm unit to close but found out the sim card was deactivated. Anyway I got it reactivated today and again attempted to close them by texting the gsm unit. Nothing happened. I texted them to open and I could hear the motors activating. So it appears that the gates think they are closed even though they are fully open. Any idea how how I can resolve this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

With the lockdown our gates have been left open for the last 3.5 months. I went to close them last night but couldn't. I texted the gsm unit to close but found out the sim card was deactivated. Anyway I got it reactivated today and again attempted to close them by texting the gsm unit. Nothing happened. I texted them to open and I could hear the motors activating. So it appears that the gates think they are closed even though they are fully open. Any idea how how I can resolve this??

How did you originally leave them in the open position

Did you use a key to disengage the motors from the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When you texted them to open and you heard motors activating, what did the gate leaves do? Did they move? How long were the motors activating for?

Some of those gate systems operate on a torque feedback to indicate when they are open and if so, even if the gates were open, it should have ran for a time and then assumed they were open, waited for the dwell period and then closed.

If this didn't happen and you didn't turn off the motors in any way, maybe the gates clear sensor eye is misaligned, in this case, they might open but would not close.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I latched the gates open by texting the gsm unit a particular command. the gates remain open until they another command is sent requesting to close.

I have not disengaged the motors from the gates. I didn't want to mess around too much yet.

When I texted the gsm unit to open the gates and heard the motor I immediately powered down the control unit because the gates can not open any further. the gates themselves are pressed right up against the inner edge of the piers. I didn't want to put the motors under stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I latched the gates open by texting the gsm unit a particular command. the gates remain open until they another command is sent requesting to close.

I have not disengaged the motors from the gates. I didn't want to mess around too much yet.

When I texted the gsm unit to open the gates and heard the motor I immediately powered down the control unit because the gates can not open any further. the gates themselves are pressed right up against the inner edge of the piers. I didn't want to put the motors under stress.

There’s generally limits set to how far they open or pressure switches to detect. I’d let them run

If there aren't specific sensor eyes to detect the gate when open, I suspect that allowing them to open for a period will not be a problem. As I said in my last post, in my experience, this is how they work.

If it were me, I would stand by the gates, power them on, text them to open, and wait until the motor stops and then allow x time for the dwell period and then see do they close.

You probably have an idea as to how long it generally took them to open (less than a minute I imagine) so give them at least that much time to open and then another couple of minutes for the dwell timer to elapse.

• Advertisement

If there aren't specific sensor eyes to detect the gate when open, I suspect that allowing them to open for a period will not be a problem. As I said in my last post, in my experience, this is how they work.

If it were me, I would stand by the gates, power them on, text them to open, and wait until the motor stops and then allow x time for the dwell period and then see do they close.

You probably have an idea as to how long it generally took them to open (less than a minute I imagine) so give them at least that much time to open and then another couple of minutes for the dwell timer to elapse.

Will it do any harm to the motors overloading them like that?? Since they are turning against an immovable object.

Thanks for the advice everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Open the manual release, then close the gate with your hand, re-engage the manual release. Then try opening the gate with the gsm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Hi, so you sent the open command to the gates about 3 months ago? For them to stay open?
    On my came gates using an AES gsm if I do this command it called latching and I was told not to really use this as it pulses the came control panel every 20 seconds to keep the gates open. The installer said it was not go to keep them open using latching

Will it do any harm to the motors overloading them like that?? Since they are turning against an immovable object.

Thanks for the advice everyone

On the range of gates I have experience with, no, it won't do any harm. The motor control board should be configured to put out less torque than can damage the components within the system.

Do you know the manufactuer/model of the gates?

If you have the key to manually release the gates and move them to the open position, you can do that if you are concerned.

Did you resolve this issue OP?

Just curious.

• Advertisement

Did you resolve this issue OP?

Just curious.

Yeah I got sorted. I took the advice given and let the open cycle run its course. After the dwell period the gates then closed. Problem solved. I greased and oiled the motor arms they were a little dry from being stationary for last 3 months.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Advertisement