Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban on stoves?

• 13-06-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a stove to replace the open fire but it wont be for another year or so.

Someone mentioned there is to be a ban on stoves in Ireland and looking online, I can certainly see some hints towards a ban on some types of stoves.

Can anyone give me a clear picture as to what is to come?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The government are having trouble introducing the smoky coal ban nationwide so a stove ban is many years away.They are also banning chimneys from new builds so this will eliminate stoves and open fires for new builds.
    They can't ban stoves but they can make new stove installation illegal so if you want a stove put one in before any future ban which I think is years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do note that burning solid fuels at a domestic* level produces a lot of different types of pollution that can cause heart and lung problems. Air pollution kills more than 1,000 per year in Ireland.

* Burning solid fuels at an industrial level means you can (indeed have to) put industrial level mitigation measures in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

So having fires will be a thing of the past in Ireland new builds?

Thats absolute BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Victor wrote: »
    Do note that burning solid fuels at a domestic* level produces a lot of different types of pollution that can cause heart and lung problems. Air pollution kills more than 1,000 per year in Ireland.

* Burning solid fuels at an industrial level means you can (indeed have to) put industrial level mitigation measures in place.

I'd say you're some craic at house parties Victor.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The same can be said if caught burning stuff in your garden,45 gallon drum with holes was brilliant at that time and 12 ft flames keeping overhead trees pruned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its likely that once again we will follow the UKs lead whereby

1. Only new stoves meeting a certain efficiency and that meet certain standards such as the " ecodesign " labeled stoves you will see from all the big manufacturers

2. A limitation on the fuel type you can buy - I think long term Kiln Dried Hardwood will end up being the only fuel you can buy for a stove, some of the crap they sell on the garage forecourts and else where is criminal its so wet. I am getting a new stove next month and its for wood burning only.

3. Possible powers for the local authorities to have - No Burn days if the air quality is poor , or a requirement for it to be swept once a year or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks for all the help everyone, very helpful!

Advertisement