Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help-what's wrong with my goldfish?!

Options
  • 13-06-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Since yesterday its eye is popping out on one side and today after I came home I've noticed a hole in the front of its head and another above the eye that's popping out. Other three fish in aquarium are fine. Don't know what's wrong with it? I did a partial water change this morning and added water conditioner so parameters should be fine. Fish was lying on bottom of tank this morn. Has sporadically moved a bit this evening (it is swimming weirdly when it does) but is barely opening its mouth. It is also shaking a bit every so often like it's having a fit. Photo of fish attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Never saw that before. At least its not white spot or fin rot.
    Hopefully there is no disease in the tank.
    Did u introduce any new fish lately?

Meeoow wrote: »
    Never saw that before. At least its not white spot or fin rot.
    Hopefully there is no disease in the tank.
    Did u introduce any new fish lately?
    Thanks for the reply. No new fish added to tank. Fish is still just lying there. Occasionally floats away, as in actually floats without using it fins. Hole worse today, eye worse, fish still shaking a bit, barely opening its mouth at all.

Thanks for the reply. No new fish added to tank. Fish is still just lying there. Occasionally floats away, as in actually floats without using it fins. Hole worse today, eye worse, fish still shaking a bit, barely opening its mouth at all.
    Doesn't sound good for it.
    Can you pop into a pet centre and ask there? They should know. I haven't had fish for years now, cause the last time I introduced fish, it brought in fin rot, and ruined the whole aquarium.
    Its hard to get healthy fish now.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Doesn't sound good for it.
    Can you pop into a pet centre and ask there? They should know. I haven't had fish for years now, cause the last time I introduced fish, it brought in fin rot, and ruined the whole aquarium.
    Its hard to get healthy fish now.

Thanks but the pet shop where I live isn't open. It wasn't open yesterday eve either when I discovered the hole in the fish's head. The fish died about an hour ago, so I guess I won't find out what the issue was. Just hope my other 3 fish are OK. They seem fine. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Let me know if you find out what it was, I'd be interested to know. Good luck with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you Google "hole in the head disease goldfish" there's a surprisingly large number of hits. Looks like it's a bacterial infection and can be treated with medication in the water.

Alun wrote: »
    If you Google "hole in the head disease goldfish" there's a surprisingly large number of hits. Looks like it's a bacterial infection and can be treated with medication in the water.

I googled it at the time and while the hole in the head matched up with my fish, the eye bulging thing didn't seem to be associated with the hole in the head disease. The bulging eye started first. The pet shop where I live was closed yesterday evening by the time I came home and discovered how sick the fish was. So there was no chance of getting anything that late and I wasn't sure if the fish would just 'come around' either.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Did you put any new items in the tank, maybe something is toxic.Keep doing water changes daily.

m8 wrote: »
    Did you put any new items in the tank, maybe something is toxic.Keep doing water changes daily.

No there was nothing new or changed.

• Advertisement

If your doing water changes you should be seeing some improvement by now?

m8 wrote: »
    If your doing water changes you should be seeing some improvement by now?

No, the fish died. Other three fish are fine.

No, the fish died. Other three fish are fine.

Sorry to hear that Salthillprom.

Advertisement