Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone turned off by piercings/tattoos?

• 13-06-2020 8:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I've been called shallow for this but I'd never date a woman with many piercings/tattoos. I think a certain "type" of woman gets them.

Now you'll say that's silly and that there are hot women who have both. I'm not denying that and in fact I know a few, but the key important thing is how many and where.

In my experience, "upper" class women would never get visible tattoos around their arms/legs and if they do, it's very very tiny. That I don't mind at all. Same with piercings if they are kept to a minimum.

I just think that women who have an excessive amount of these tend to have something else to show off. That's been my case.

Comments

Is it upper class women you're trying to pull,yeah?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Not a fan of tattoos.....and certainly not the tramp stamps/arse antlers that we're all the rage back in early 2000s.

Be honest, OP, you'd get up on a cracked plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Tattoos look awful on a woman. Makes them look more masculine and a definite turn-off.

A nice tattoo,i wouldnt mind....really depends on wheter person can pull.them off

Piercings,ive no real feelings for either way,as never really encountered people into excessive piercings,just different social circles i guess

• Advertisement

The more the merrier.

Those massive yokes on their thighs that they do be getting now are fairly hideous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No, not into either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really like tattoos on women and men. Then again I have a few myself.

All sorts of people get tattoos. Not sure if the OP is serious with his “certain type of woman..” spiel.
    Like something from another age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I dislike tattoo's on men or women. To me it's just maiming yourself, but that's just my view on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Complete turn off for me, just think they are really unattractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No, but I also have tattoos and piercings so I don't see the issue.
    Some very good looking women that have plenty of both, likes of some metal band front women etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Some very good looking women that have plenty of both, likes of some metal band front women etc.

Some would argue that they were good looking before and not as good looking now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

They are dopey yokes. They look awful and unprofessional. They cost a fortune to remove if they are wrong and look dirty. Tattoos on the hands or neck..... have even seen ones on the face are screaming "DONT HIRE ME!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Depends most of the time they look fairly gaudy on women and they're fairly recent, be some blob in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Usual stupid comments I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mdwexford wrote: »
    Usual stupid comments I see.

Not at all.. Tattoos may be all the rage in the last 15 years as people try to show how individual they are... by doing the same as their peers... but I've never liked them either. I've seen previously gorgeous girls destroy themselves until they look like an extra from Prison Break.

Piercings wouldn't be my thing either unless just in ears.

As you can probably tell, I have neither myself :)

That said, the above is just my own view. I also don't like wafer thin girls (curves ftw), but sure each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not at all.. Tattoos may be all the rage in the last 15 years as people try to show how individual they are... by doing the same as their peers...

That's pretty much how I feel about them.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Not a fan of them myself.

I kinda get were the op is coming from...kinda! He is thinking of the rough inner city types.

I'm convinced some people with glaring obvious ones forget they won't be young forever and will look ridiculous in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

However unjustly, the sight of a woman with a lot of visible tattooing suggests either a scobe, or a lady who knows her way up and down an 18-speed range-splitter, if you take my meaning... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i like tatts on women so long as its not the neck or face, i absolutely fckin despise those discs in the ears that stretch them out,beyond hideous . in men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 _Bow_Wow_

Wouldn't be a fan of facial tattoo but love sleeves

I've been called shallow for this but I'd never date a woman with many piercings/tattoos. I think a certain "type" of woman gets them.

Now you'll say that's silly and that there are hot women who have both. I'm not denying that and in fact I know a few, but the key important thing is how many and where.

In my experience, "upper" class women would never get visible tattoos around their arms/legs and if they do, it's very very tiny. That I don't mind at all. Same with piercings if they are kept to a minimum.

I just think that women who have an excessive amount of these tend to have something else to show off. That's been my case.

My girlfriend has quite a number of tattoos on her arms and she is an extremely attractive, private school educated, south Dublin protestant with wealthy parents. The generalising rhetoric about the "upper class" you are spouting is very ill advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

My girlfriend has quite a number of tattoos on her arms and she is an extremely attractive, private school educated, south Dublin protestant with wealthy parents. The generalising rhetoric about the "upper class" you are spouting is very ill advised.

She must have a granny from the northside!!

Does she keep the toaster in the cupboard? I know her type, they don't fool me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No wonder you haven’t got the ride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Evidently she's ashamed of her posh origins and is doing her best to distance herself from them. Rather like the privately educated Mary Lou, Smirker Murphy and Rich Boy Barrett! It may also be why she's hanging around with you! :D

I bet she doesn't go to church service every Sunday - although that may be because the vicar asked her not to! ;)

...I bet she doesn't go to church service every Sunday - although that may be because the vicar asked her not to! ;)

Now you have it, bah. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I wouldn’t put a big heart with “Mum” written in it on my wall; so probably wouldn’t particularly like it on a romantic interest.

For me it really depends on the quality of the tattoos and where they are; whether they suit the person or not and so on. I generally wouldn’t be a fan of face tattoos.

As for piercings I’m not a big fan of the large ear stretching fad; or indeed any of those over the top skin modifying piercings. Genital piercings wouldn’t be my thing either.

In saying that however I would find plenty of people with all of the above very attractive at times; it tends to suit some people whereas others it doesn’t.

I’ve also come across a very wide spectrum of people with tattoos and piercings; I really don’t think you can generalise to that kind of degree. I mean there are some very specific tattoos with some very specific meanings but other than that; nope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It depends.. if there is some meaning or story behind it, or it just looks good artistically then great, it always increases my attraction to a girl I find, but if it's just a stamp or you got it cause you were drunk/ everyone else was getting one then..ya.. that's a turn off alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think sometimes you get used to tattoos on both men and women and you might think they look alright however in generally they look far better without them. I don’t think they enhance somebodies appearance. Some people can pull them off a lot better than others.
    I’m an awkward country guy for example. I wouldn’t be able to pull it off for example.

That’s my opinion but each to there own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

People still take this lads threads serious ?

Why is he allowed start all these sexual based threads?
    Just non stop every day! Obsessed with sex/dating/looks …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OP, did she say "no" to your propositioning her in front of an audience, followed by colourful descriptions of which bits of your anatomy that you can lick or some such?

I know two tattoo artists; one since childhood, and another who owns her own tattoo shop, and either of them would tell you that a bad tattoo is a bad tattoo, be it poor craftsmanship or poor placement of otherwise good tattoo work. Any self-respecting tattooist will - or should - be advising you on what you want done and where because sometimes, what looks great on a flat piece of paper, or inside our heads, does not translate well to a body part. That goes for men & women of all ages, builds, and sizes.

Personally, I'm not super-gone on facial or neck tattoos, but I have seen some well done ones (and well carried too) so - as others have already said - it's a wide spectrum. Piercings; other than the huge ear or nose stretchers, it's [mostly] all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm female and have several large tattoos.

Someone said above that they look masculine - mine are all very feminine and colourful.

It was also mentioned that they are unprofessional - I work as an accountant, I keep all of mine covered in work. It's not that difficult to do ... high necklines, long sleeves and dark tights.

I'm single and not particularly interested in dating, but even if I were, it doesn't bother me if men don't like tattoos on girls. I got them for me, not to impress anyone else.

For what it's worth, I'm from a middle-class family and have an excellent education and a successful career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

I'd have sex with a girl with a tatoo but I would not date her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I'd have sex with a girl with a tatoo but I would not date her.

I don't have tattoos but if I did I wouldn't have sex with a guy who couldn't spell "tattoo" properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’ve seen a few hideous ones on both women and men.

I was browsing ASOS for some bargains yesterday and it’s like they have nothing but endless tattooed male models. I’m left thinking: he’s a good looking guy if it wasn’t for that giant tattoo on his neck and face - it nearly puts me off even the clothes he’s modelling.

Also I think they’ll go out of fashion again and people will be left with big ugly visible tattoos that will date badly.

I mean, imagine what they’ll look like when their skin gets wrinkly as they age!?

Small tattoos yeah fair enough, but getting your face and neck tattooed ?!? Maybe have a long think about it.

It’s a matter of personal taste but they do nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I generally like tattoos on men and women, regardless of age or how attractive they are. That said, if I see someone with a bad tattoo that's placed wrong or looks ridiculous, I cant help but judge the person negatively. Like today I saw a man with a big 'To young to die, to weird to live' tattoo in a fancy font on his leg.
    Ive seen a few stupid quotes up peoples forearms.
    Saw another guy with a weirdly placed purple flower on his arm - the flower was nice but the placement didnt look right.
    Badly done tattoos like do your research on an artist before you commit to their ****ty drawing skills permanently etched into your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why?

Please tell me.

Saw another guy with a weirdly placed purple flower on his arm - the flower was nice but the placement didnt look right.

Was there a chance it was a "Forgetmenot"?
    There was possibly a deeper meaning to it. It is the symbol for Alzheimer's among other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Was there a chance it was a "Forgetmenot"?
    There was possibly a deeper meaning to it. It is the symbol for Alzheimer's among other things.

No it wasnt, it was a big geometrical purple flower. The tattoo itself looked well, it was the placement was off.
    Im sure people who have stupid quotes up their forearms also have 'deep meanings' to them, doesnt make them look any less ridiculous.
    Each their own I suppose.

No it wasnt, it was a big geometrical purple flower. The tattoo itself looked well, it was the placement was off.
    Im sure people who have stupid quotes up their forearms also have 'deep meanings' to them, doesnt make them look any less ridiculous.
    Each their own I suppose.

You missed the meaning. Only someone who knew what it meant and saw it would recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

It was also mentioned that they are unprofessional - I work as an accountant, I keep all of mine covered in work. It's not that difficult to do ... high necklines, long sleeves and dark tights.
    /QUOTE]

If they are all that great, why cover them up just because you are in work??

Tats are not attractive, and for me, would be a relationship stopper, full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Iodine1 wrote: »

Same reason I don't wear jeans to work. Office dress code.

Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with jeans. They're just not appropriate in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Iodine1 wrote: »

Office dress code usually.
    My previous job was shirt and tie jobbie, only at the Christmas party did I realise so many had tattoos, and most were shocked to see me with piercings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One of the times I’ve seen tattoos cause problems is when women are getting a wedding dress. They’ve no issue with having them on display normally.(relatives know they have them,etc) but for some reason they cause trouble on there wedding day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There you go.. A spoilt/controlled brat wanting to break free of her upbringing.... Someone had to say it... May or may not be true... Ive no idea but this is the internet after all :D

Personally I don't like them on anyone.

There you go.. A spoilt/controlled brat wanting to break free of her upbringing.... Someone had to say it... May or may not be true... Ive no idea but this is the internet after all :D

Personally I don't like them on anyone.

I should really report you to the moderators for a comment like that.

Advertisement