Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stack and tilt golf swing

Options
  • 13-06-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Finally hung the football boots up and have been in overdrive with golf practice. 12 weeks of back garden chipping and small pitch shots.
    And countless number of full swings hitting foam balls.
    I'm not a member of a golf course so I haven't got on course yet. Managed to get 2 rounds of par 3 in. While I was happy with the short game, I just couldn't bring the perfect start form the ground up swing that we can all do in a practice swing. With a ball in front of me it was back to throwing the hands at it. Don't get me wrong I can hit a ball but I want to be better and this will merit very inconsistent strikes.

So back to YouTube I went for more advice, I know I should probably go to a pro a book a few lessons. Anyway I came across this stack and tilt golf swing. Anyone that hasn't heard of it go have a look. So out the back garden with my foam balls I went again, a week of practice to get a feeling for it before I could get to the driving range today.
    Now while I don't want to get too excited over a range session because I always find you get away with alot more hitting of hard mats.
    But there was definitely an improvement, a more consistent strike. The driver was unbelievable, my miss with my driver was usually a push out to the right side of fairway.
    I hit about 15 drives today with a nice straight ball flight. 2 or 3 even had a small draw. Delighted with that.
    Due to play Friday evening so will get a better assessment when out in the course.

So I was just wondering has anyone switched to this swing style and if so, how did you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Finally hung the football boots up and have been in overdrive with golf practice. 12 weeks of back garden chipping and small pitch shots.
    I'm not a member of a golf course so I haven't got on course yet. Managed to get 2 rounds of par 3 in. While I was happy with the short game, I just couldn't bring the perfect start form the ground up swing that we can all do in a practice swing. With a ball in front of me it was back to throwing the hands at it. Don't get me wrong I can hit a ball but I want to be better and this will merit very inconsistent strikes.

So back to YouTube I went for more advice, I know I should probably go to a pro a book a few lessons. Anyway I came across this stack and tilt golf swing. Anyone that hasn't heard of it go have a look. So out the back garden with my foam balls I went again, a week of practice to get a feeling for it before I could get to the driving range today.
    Now while I don't want to get too excited over a range session because I always find you get away with alot more hitting of hard mats.
    But there was definitely an improvement, a more consistent strike. The driver was unbelievable, my miss with my driver was usually a push out to the right side of fairway.
    I hit about 15 drives today with a nice straight ball flight. 2 or 3 even had a small draw. Delighted with that.
    Due to play Friday evening so will get a better assessment when out in the course.

So I was just wondering has anyone switched to this swing style and if so, how did you find it?

Dont know all that much about the technique but I do know that Australian player Aaron Baddely was hailed as the golden boy by many who were advocating stack and tilt. Wasnt long before he picked up the unfortunate nickname 'hits it' (Baddely), which marked the beginning of a fairly robust movement by coaches and instructors alike against S and T.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yeah I've been practicing S&T in the downtime in the back garden and when golf was back I brought it to the course and the results are amazing (with my irons) except my driver but I've never been a good driver of the ball..I'm a total convert..I've been watching a madcap American on YouTube Tom Saguto but he simplifies the system and it's so easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Dont know all that much about the technique but I do know that Australian player Aaron Baddely was hailed as the golden boy by many who were advocating stack and tilt. Wasnt long before he picked up the unfortunate nickname 'hits it' (Baddely), which marked the beginning of a fairly robust movement by coaches and instructors alike against S and T.

Yeah I read about Baddely. My taughts on it would be it might be helpful for the likes of mid to high handicap players, guys like myself that just can not get the body to start the swing.
    I'd be surprised to hear a player who has a goog conventional swing to change to S and T.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been practicing S&T in the downtime in the back garden and when golf was back I brought it to the course and the results are amazing (with my irons) except my driver but I've never been a good driver of the ball..I'm a total convert..I've been watching a madcap American on YouTube Tom Saguto but he simplifies the system and it's so easy to follow.
    Iv watched nearly all his stuff alright. He is a crazy but as you say he really breaks it down and he is very convincing.
    I just found it so much easier to do myself. My main swing taught was club inside on the backswing. And as I said I was very happy with the results. Looking forward to Friday now because that will be the real test

Iv watched nearly all his stuff alright. He is a crazy but as you say he really breaks it down and he is very convincing.
    I just found it so much easier to do myself. My main swing taught was club inside on the backswing. And as I said I was very happy with the results. Looking forward to Friday now because that will be the real test

Now is the time to ingrain it as nothing much to play for..when you start you will hit the odd Xxank but that is just you adjusting between the old and bew, it will be interesting to check in with you in a months time to see how we've progressed or have given up on it..

• Advertisement

Now is the time to ingrain it as nothing much to play for..when you start you will hit the odd Xxank but that is just you adjusting between the old and bew, it will be interesting to check in with you in a months time to see how we've progressed or have given up on it..
    Was around the local park today with my 60 wedge. Got about 12 full shots in before the heavens opened. I did hit a couple abit fat, same at driving range yesterday so that seems to be the bad shot at the moment.
    But first impressions are very positive. What HC do you play off yourself

Was around the local park today with my 60 wedge. Got about 12 full shots in before the heavens opened. I did hit a couple abit fat, same at driving range yesterday so that seems to be the bad shot at the moment.
    But first impressions are very positive. What HC do you play off yourself

9.0 but counting all my scores and if we had cuts and .1s back (we have a big comp on WhatsApp group) since we've been back I'd be 7.2 if they were going through computer

9.0 but counting all my scores and if we had cuts and .1s back (we have a big comp on WhatsApp group) since we've been back I'd be 7.2 if they were going through computer
    And you don't mind me asking but what made you change from a swing that got you to single figures.

And you don't mind me asking but what made you change from a swing that got you to single figures.

Total inconsistency with my irons, I was looking for a repeatable swing and this was it

Low irons 4 to 6 iron really bad before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It was the cool new thing a number of years ago but hasn't really had all that much success, some anecdotal evidence pointing to it causing back problems - curious as to why you would look as this rather than more traditional methods?

It was the cool new thing a number of years ago but hasn't really had all that much success, some anecdotal evidence pointing to it causing back problems - curious as to why you would look as this rather than more traditional methods?
    I have tried and spent many hours practicing the traditional golf swing. I just find so far with this method the transition to the downswing I'm finding easier.

Very interesting what you say about back pain. I'd alway have niggles in my lower back and if I was to find I was harming myself with this I definitely wouldn't keep up with it

Anecdotal evidence from those who teach conventional swing maybe but if you really look into it The S&T system puts less strain on your back and from someone who suffered with Pro lapsed discs, I can tell you that there has been no pressure on my back although early days in my change I'm confident of it so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Anecdotal evidence from those who teach conventional swing maybe but if you really look into it The S&T system puts less strain on your back and from someone who suffered with Pro lapsed discs, I can tell you that there has been no pressure on my back although early days in my change I'm confident of it so far..

I'd say my anecdotal is more than your sample size of 1 :rolleyes:

I don't have any allegiance one way or the other - it destroyed Baddely's career, that's 100% certain and I don't think there are any current PGA pros using the methodology any more - seems to have been a bit of a fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't have any allegiance one way or the other - it destroyed Baddely's career, that's 100% certain and I don't think there are any current PGA pros using the methodology any more - seems to have been a bit of a fad.

I'm not disagreeing with you but could you elaborate on the bolded bit please?

I cant find anything on Goggle that links it so categorically?

You are forgetting one thing, afaik none of us on here are PGA Pros, we are only looking for a bit of consistency ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lance Murdock

Are you still trying the stack and tilt op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

You are forgetting one thing, afaik none of us on here are PGA Pros, we are only looking for a bit of consistency ..

You say that like there two different things. Low level golf mean inconsistent. Improving consistency means improving golf. A lot a lads say they can hit it well but are inconsistent, and just need consistency to get their game in gear. But youl never find that, like they dont really need to really improve their golf, they just need consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

The best thing stack and tilt has going for it is a name. So the inventor can claim that he has something, can sell the books, attract some already top notch pros to add to his claims that he has coached them, gets magazine articles, interviews on the golf channel and that. Like aimpoint. Its like a marketing thing to create a brand for themselves.

Are you still trying the stack and tilt op?
    I haven't actually got any practice in this week.
    Played last Friday and was a big improvement on ball striking with my irons and Woods.
    But I did struggle with my driving. Hoping to get around later to hit a few balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Lance Murdock

I haven't actually got any practice in this week.
    Played last Friday and was a big improvement on ball striking with my irons and Woods.
    But I did struggle with my driving. Hoping to get around later to hit a few balls

I'm the opposite at the minute. The irons were a little bit better last time out. I'm going to stick with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You say that like there two different things. Low level golf mean inconsistent. Improving consistency means improving golf. A lot a lads say they can hit it well but are inconsistent, and just need consistency to get their game in gear. But youl never find that, like they dont really need to really improve their golf, they just need consistency.

Most people who say they just need consistency base it on occasional great shots that are down to perfectly timed bad swings and flips.

They don't need consistency, they need better swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GreeBo wrote: »
    Most people who say they just need consistency base it on occasional great shots that are down to perfectly timed bad swings and flips.

They don't need consistency, they need better swings.

Yep, agree with this. The pros are no more consistent than you or me, they're just way better.

The pros can swing 10+ shots between rounds in single tournament, but their swings are between a 64 & a 74, rather than an 85 & 95. Same shot difference, just better golf

Advertisement