Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verification of sounder timeouts to EN 50131-1 standard

Options
  • 13-06-2020 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey,

How would one go about verifying that their securewatch HKC SW610 alarm system actually silences the internal/external sounder within 15 minutes?

Options

1. Set it via engineering mode settings that I am unaware of
    2. Find a good time of day to test it and simulate an intrusion
    3. Remove internal sounder from alarm panel and simulate intrusion. Watch for Alarm LED to go out.

I would like to avoid disturbing anyone in the surrounding area. I know the engineering code but I do not know what type of settings are possible to change in engineering mode.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Hey,

How would one go about verifying that their securewatch HKC SW610 alarm system actually silences the internal/external sounder within 15 minutes?

Options

3. Remove internal sounder from alarm panel and simulate intrusion. Watch for Alarm LED to go out.

I would like to avoid disturbing anyone in the surrounding area. I know the engineering code but I do not know what type of settings are possible to change in engineering mode.

Thanks.

The internal sounder doesn't matter. The standards only refer to the 15mins regarding the external sounder.

There is an option regarding EN50131 in some panels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

>The internal sounder doesn't matter.

This is news to me, I should have been more specific in what I am trying to do. What I actually want to do is ensure the internal sounder has the same timeout as the external sounder. I will have a look through the engineering mode settings in the morning. Hopefully the alarm system isn't too dated and has an option in there to set it. It was installed in 2004 and EN 50131 was finalized in 2004.

Thank you for the information.

I may be in look, it seems this person showthread.php?p=71701065 was in a similar circumstance. (I am a new user, hence the truncated URL)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

>The internal sounder doesn't matter.

This is news to me, I should have been more specific in what I am trying to do. What I actually want to do is ensure the internal sounder has the same timeout as the external sounder. I will have a look through the engineering mode settings in the morning. Hopefully the alarm system isn't too dated and has an option in there to set it. It was installed in 2004 and EN 50131 was finalized in 2004.

Thank you for the information.

I may be in look, it seems this person showthread.php?p=71701065 was in a similar circumstance. (I am a new user, hence the truncated URL)

The external sounder is seen as an noise issue for neighbours not the internal siren. I've never come across any situation via work or college where the internal siren was seen as a noise issue nor have i come across a time limit in the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hey,

Options

Thanks.

In engineer mode go to timers menu, system timers and set internal bell time to 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

alta stare wrote: »
    The external sounder is seen as an noise issue for neighbours not the internal siren. I've never come across any situation via work or college where the internal siren was seen as a noise issue nor have i come across a time limit in the standards.

Let me assure you that in the days that IS 199 was the standard, that you would not want to be next door to a house with an internal siren wailing for days on end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plus internal sounders can still be VERY annoying in apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

bk wrote: »
    Plus internal sounders can still be VERY annoying in apartments.

This is the main reason I am doing this, this is an alarm located in an apartment block. I had the unpleasant experience of triggering the spring tamper in the control panel box one of the days and I was very surprised at how loud the internal sounder is.

Just wanted to drop an update saying thanks to everyone who commented and sent me messages to help. You seem to have a very active forum here which is really nice to see.

I managed to get into the engineering service menu and verify that the timers were actually set to 5 minute timeouts already.

I do have another question/topic to discuss which is a mix of external sounders and the behaviour of alarms in the event of a power outage. I understand what they are suppose to do and hence why replacing your control panel backup battery is important.

I will start a separate thread for that discussion as I don't want this thread which covers an unrelated topic to go on for longer than needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I had the unpleasant experience of triggering the spring tamper in the control panel box

I have had to deliberately stretch the tamper spring sometimes or made other modifications to prevent it accidentally triggering the alarm (while ensuring it is still fit for purpose by functioning properly).
    I managed to get into the engineering service menu and verify that the timers were actually set to 5 minute timeouts already.

The alarm communicating activations to key holders is far more important than an internal sounder. As internal sounders tend to be relatively easy for an intruder to defeat and are routinely ignored by neighbours I think they bring very little to the party. Whereas external sounders provide a visual deterrent as well as being far less likely to be ignored in the event of an alarm condition.

Advertisement