Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Someone Recommend a Gaming Monitor?

Options
  • 14-06-2020 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I've had the same monitor for about 9 years and I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade.

I don't want to buy anything outrageously expensive, maybe around the €450 range.

There are way too many to choose from so I figured I'd come here to get a rough idea on what everyone else uses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm using Acer's VG270UP and I'm pretty happy. It's right around your budget and hits the sweet spot for all the modern features like UHD, high refresh rate, freesync, good colors and response time.

I got mine at Curry's but they're consistently out of stock so I found the SCAN one through Acer's own website.

There's a version of this monitor with a stupidly similar model # that's a bit cheaper but it's only 75Hz lacking some features so be mindful in case you make a mistake. I never connected the stand since I have a monitor arm but from what I understand from reviews the stand is garbage so use your own solution if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah that looks like the exact one. Seems more expensive on Amazon though?

Yeah that looks like the exact one. Seems more expensive on Amazon though?

Yeah I noticed. I'll keep it bookmarked because it is ticking all the boxes for me. If I can't find it cheaper anywhere else and if no other monitor comes close to it I'll just pay for it. I'll keep looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you after size, resolution, refresh rate, or what?

This is decent size, 240hz, fantastic monitor. It's what I'm using at present.

Otherwise you should also be able to get a 27" 1440P 144hz monitor like this at that price point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Homelander wrote: »

Otherwise you should also be able to get a 27" 1440P 144hz monitor like this at that price point.

Resolution is where it's at, imo.

Homelander wrote: »

That 1440p one is pretty much what I'm aiming for. However. What the hell is Freesync? I have an Nvidia card so I dunno if that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I do believe freesync is a feature to get the best out of Radeon gpu and g-sync is for nvidia. I could be miles off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That 1440p one is pretty much what I'm aiming for. However. What the hell is Freesync? I have an Nvidia card so I dunno if that matters?

G-Sync is the Nvidia equivalent of FreeSync, although you can get Nvidia cards working with some FreeSync monitors now. Basically, it's a tech that allows a monitor's refresh rate to adapt on the fly so that it synchronises with the FPS your GPU is outputting, thus eliminating tearing and stutter (in theory). The more generic names for it are adaptive sync, or VRR (variable refresh rate). I think the new consoles will use it, and modern TVs are starting to too (I think it's part of the HDMI standard now).

It's a great feature btw. Can't imagine not being able to use it now. Having said that, if your aim is ultra high FPS for competitive shooters etc, it's probably not as important.

Advertisement