Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Akrasia wrote: »
    He wasn’t driving. he was asleep in a car that was parked in a car park

If the cops had a bit of cop on, they would have given him a warning instead of arresting him

He was in the queue for the drive-thru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Well if it wasn't why was there a queue of cars and more arriving at the time.

So it was open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

froog wrote: »
    fair enough. in my opinion if the dude was white he would still be alive. the cop instinctively shot to kill when a non-lethal taser was pointed at him. if the guy was white his instinct would have been to tackle/incapacitate him. this is systemic racism. the cop most likely doesn't even realised he's been programmed this way.

As established already, tasers are not non-lethal. They are less-lethal (distinct from less-than lethal, also wrong). They are less lethal than a firearm but still potentially lethal.

It's about what could happen if the cops were incapacitated.

They have a responsibility to prevent any situation where their firearms could be taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

If the cops had a bit of cop on, they would have given him a warning instead of arresting him

They were called because he was originally 'parked' in front of the drive thru and blocking all the cars. He moved it to the parking spot after the police arrived.

He was likely trying to drive home drunk and then passed out drunk in front of the drive thru, why on earth would the police give someone a warning for driving drunk.

So let's say the Guards catch someone driving home drunk in Dublin tonight do you think they should let him go with just a warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

They cops should have parked up his car and drove him home.
    Only in the US do you get killed for sleeping in your car.

Do they tuck him as well??

Only in the US do you get shot for driving under the influence to join the line of a feckin Wendys drive tru, then resist arrest , grabbing an officer taser, making a run for it with said taser and then discharging the weapon at the officer.

Christ, I wish people would just come out and say they want special privileges for black people .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

It's sad but unfortunately the cop was probably correct to shoot. The problem is Americas gun culture, if I was a cop I'd be fearing for my life everyday sure isn't there 4 guns for every citizen in America?

Maybe the situation could've been de escalated better but when someone resists arrest and then points a weapon at an officer then they are putting themselves in danger. I don't think any sane person would point a gun at an officer in America right now.

The solution to these problems is simple yet extremely complex gun control.
    Just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He wasn't in a parked car, he was in a queue, they were called to check on a person in a car.
    For all they knew he took a medical episode and were there to make sure he was ok.

He was asked to pull it over into a parking spot, do any of you actually watch the videos on this before you comment?

So it was open?

I don't know as I wasn't there, I live in Ireland.

I would imagine it was due to the queues of cars unless they were setting up for the night and wanted to be there for breakfast.....

Only in the US do you get shot for driving under the influence to join the line of a feckin Wendys drive tru, then resist arrest , grabbing an officer taser, making a run for it with said taser and then discharging the weapon at the officer.

Christ, I wish people would just come out and say they want special privileges for black people .

You hit the nail on the head

He had a couple of pints and went for a burger, got shot dead by police, something doesn't add up

• Advertisement

I don't know as I wasn't there, I live in Ireland.

I would imagine it was due to the queues of cars unless they were setting up for the night and wanted to be there for breakfast.....
    so you dont know all the facts about the incident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

RasTa wrote: »
    "That's a weapon"
    "it's a bucket"

Clear harassment.

He had a couple of pints and went for a burger, got shot dead by police, something doesn't add up

You left out the part where he drove drunk to get his burger.

You also left out the parts where he fought with the police, stole their weapon and then aimed the weapon at the police.

You clearly are fueled by emotions and not facts/evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

mynamejeff wrote: »
    or the cops would have been dead ,

or he could have driven home and killed some people on the way

but because he was black the cops should have treated him differently

you know what that's called don't you ?

enlighten me...
    Do you actually read what you write?

He was asleep, passed out, eyes closed, not reacting to voice or bangs on the window, door opened and he eventually comes around.
    It could have been all show, but most likely he was asleep as the queue looked long and probably slow too.

yet after all that they deemed him sober enough to move his car out of a queue and park it before they did the sobriety test. Lets say when he was moving the car he decided, **** it I will make a run for it and sped of knocking over someone. Who's fault would it have been? Surely if he is posing a danger you dont let him drive at all?
    joe40 wrote: »
    If that exact same situation had happened in Derry, the PSNI would not have shot someone dead even though they are armed. Because they are a responsible well trained police force.

The lack of basic humanity from some posters is quite worrying. A young man is dead and he doesn't need to be.

It is not anti police to look for better training, and better policies about guns, to try to prevent this sort of thing.

This auld sh*the about the young man getting what he deserved is repulsive

Agreed
    I see it clear now it's a complete sh1t show and cops lives don't matter and neither do white people.

:confused:
    NotMOL wrote: »
    They were called because he was originally 'parked' in front of the drive thru and blocking all the cars. He moved it to the parking spot after the police arrived.

He was likely trying to drive home drunk and then passed out drunk in front of the drive thru, why on earth would the police give someone a warning for driving drunk.

So let's say the Guards catch someone driving home drunk in Dublin tonight do you think they should let him go with just a warning?

He was dropped of at the drive thru by his sister after enjoying the day at his nieces birthday. Why on earth would the police allow someone they suspected of being drink continue to drive even if it was to just park his car. What id like I said above he decided to do a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

sdanseo wrote: »
    As established already, tasers are not non-lethal. They are less-lethal (distinct from less-than lethal, also wrong). They are less lethal than a firearm but still potentially lethal.

It's about what could happen if the cops were incapacitated.

They have a responsibility to prevent any situation where their firearms could be taken from them.

what if the guy was waving a metal pipe around? he could incapacitate the cops by belting them with it and steal their guns. would you advocate lethal force there? what about a handful of sand? could blind them both and take their guns. shoot him dead?

You also left out the parts where he fought with the police, stole their weapon and then aimed the weapon at the police.

You left out the part where he was dropped of at the burger place by his sister.

Now if he is a danger to the pub lic when in the queue then surely the best course of action when the police arrive is to get him out of the car, not direct him to drive to to a parking bay, that's just irresponsible on behalf of the police.

You clearly are fueled by emotions and not facts/evidence

Similar stuff happens every Saturday night in every town in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

Database of police killings:

Killed By Police
    https://killedbypolice.net/

frag420 wrote: »
    enlighten me...

yet after all that they deemed him sober enough to move his car out of a queue and park it before they did the sobriety test. Lets say when he was moving the car he decided, **** it I will make a run for it and sped of knocking over someone. Who's fault would it have been? Surely if he is posing a danger you dont let him drive at all?

Agreed

:confused:

He was dropped of at the drive thru by his sister after enjoying the day at his nieces birthday. Why on earth would the police allow someone they suspected of being drink continue to drive even if it was to just park his car. What id like I said above he decided to do a runner?

Is that not common police practice to tell someone to pull into the side away from danger?

Also at that stage they didn't know if he was drunk or not because they had not yet performed the breathalyzer test and in the video he was not sluing his speech so I don't think the cops thought he was locked out of his mind

so you dont know all the facts about the incident

What difference would it make, are you hungry....
    Oh wait they burnt the building down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What was the point of burning the restaurant to the ground, thats not going to solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

Racism is not the the most salient characteristic of police murders.
    It is a factor; but not the most significant.

The factor that underlies the vast majority of police murders is the class of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know if it has anything to do with racism, but there was 2 of them and 1 of him and he had a tazer. They really couldn't apprehend him in any way without killing him? It sounds like excessive force.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't know if it has anything to do with racism, but there was 2 of them and 1 of him and he had a tazer. They really couldn't apprehend him in any way without killing him? It sounds like excessive force.

How?

Is that not common police practice to tell someone to pull into the side away from danger?

Also at that stage they didn't know if he was drunk or not because they had not yet performed the breathalyzer test and in the video he was not sluing his speech so I don't think the cops thought he was locked out of his mind

No idea, Ive never been caught drunk driving :p:p

If he was not slurring his speech and the cops did not think he was locked out of his mind...then why put cuffs on him in the manner that they did, it was uncalled for and only escalated the issue?

After the car was parked he offered to walk home and was perfectly capable of doing so as he was not locked out of his head? That would have been the sensible solution!

Look I am not saying that all cops are bad, I know a number of them in NYC, I attended a Rolling Stones gig in London a few years ago with one of NYC's top cops so I have a little insight into the machinations of how some of them think.

Have a read of this which I hope will Gove you and other insight into what is so wrong with the American police system. It would be great and appreciated if you could point out some of the issues outlined in this essay that you would agree with?

https://kottke.org/20/06/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop

How?
    THEY SHOT HIM DEAD

What was the point of burning the restaurant to the ground, thats not going to solve anything.

They wanted their burgers flame grilled...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

It says an awful lot about you that you think sleeping in a car without getting murdered is a privilege that black people don’t deserve. Utterly despicable.

PVNevin wrote: »
    Racism is not the the most salient characteristic of police murders.
    It is a factor; but not the most significant.

The factor that underlies the vast majority of police murders is the class of the victim.

Victim?
    Big rich isn't it when most cases there is a good reason for their demise....

Obviously not the best outcome and many cops don't want to shoot or kill for that matter.

Yes there are issues and many come from the army and such agencies where they had to see and do things no person ever should.

The issue is when they come back some never come back to reality.

• Advertisement

THEY SHOT HIM DEAD

Indeed they did, I don't see it anywhere where they wanted this outcome or were dancing around with joy, they were put in danger and had to protect themselves and others....

Advertisement