Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

The reasons youth are protesting:

https://youtu.be/e1YqsENguXk

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

frag420 wrote: »
    No idea, Ive never been caught drunk driving :p:p

If he was not slurring his speech and the cops did not think he was locked out of his mind...then why put cuffs on him in the manner that they did, it was uncalled for and only escalated the issue?

After the car was parked he offered to walk home and was perfectly capable of doing so as he was not locked out of his head? That would have been the sensible solution!

Look I am not saying that all cops are bad, I know a number of them in NYC, I attended a Rolling Stones gig in London a few years ago with one of NYC's top cops so I have a little insight into the machinations of how some of them think.

Have a read of this which I hope will Gove you and other insight into what is so wrong with the American police system. It would be great and appreciated if you could point out some of the issues outlined in this essay that you would agree with?

https://kottke.org/20/06/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop

He was placed in the handcuffs because he was under arrest for DUI, this was after the police performed the breathalyzer test.

Come on dude do you seriously think they should let someone just walk home after they were caught driving drink? he was being a scumbag and could've killing someone while he was driving drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Indeed they did, I don't see it anywhere where they wanted this outcome or were dancing around with joy, they were put in danger and had to protect themselves and others....
    protect others from what?
    he was asleep ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

So, according to your logic, if Rayshard Brooks had a gun, and if the cop went to Taser him, then it would be legitimate for Rayshard Brooks to shoot the cop dead?

• Advertisement

NotMOL wrote: »
    He was placed in the handcuffs because he was under arrest for DUI, this was after the police performed the breathalyzer test.

Come on dude do you seriously think they should let someone just walk home after they were caught driving drink? he was being a scumbag and could've killing someone while he was driving drunk
    Was he driving while he was asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

If he was handcuffed what happened that he got out of them and ended up in this situation?
    There are 2 sides to every story and we don’t know them, so I think judgement has to be reserved here. I’m sure they’ll do a full investigation on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's a sorry outcome without a doubt but if you resist arrest and steal a police officers weapon and discharge it at them in America this would seem to be the typical conclusion to this situation.

A life wasted for no good reason, and fuel to the fires that are raging post George Floyd, a situation that you would have hoped could have influenced a different outcome in this situation.

Glazers Out!

Was he driving while he was asleep?

He was obviously driving drunk, he was blocking up a drive way after passing out.

Logic isn't your strong point I see.

peddlelies wrote: »
    He was obviously driving drunk, he was blocking up a drive way after passing out.

Was he driving or was he asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Whatever the circumstances of this particular shooting, is it not fair to say that the quick-to-shoot tactics of the American police evolved as a response to legitimate dangers that are rarely found here in Europe? I mean go back a few years and Black areas had large gangs armed to the teeth with Ak-47s and Uzis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

NotMOL wrote: »

As I have posted twice on this thread, it all depends on the circumstances and what state he resides in...have a read of the link I posted twice already.

In some states if the car is stationary and turned off then he is not drink driving, we will have to wait and see.

However you cannot deny that he was being compliant up until the officer decided to cuff him, that escalated the issue. In light of recent happenings do you not think it would have been sensible to not escalate the issue, maintain a level head? Because that's what well trained cops are trained to do the world over!

And if as has been suggested he was suspected of being drunk, why not take control of the car from him straight away to be extra cautions, esp as he was passed out and unresponsive for some time?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

protect others from what?
    he was asleep ffs

How did he get to the queue?

We all sleep so by that logic we are no danger to anyone ever.

He was woken up, he was asked to pull car off to the side, he got out, he was checked and found to be impaired, they tried to cuff him he broke free, fought bought officers, took a officers weapon, fired it at them numerous times, they took out the threat which he was whether he was black or white.

Sure people have been shot that were unarmed but went for the officers gun, what you want the cop to do allow them to take their weapon and arrive home in a box.

Some serious deluded people on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What the difference between being asleep and being passed out:confused::confused:

How could one tell from inside a Wendys or outside a car?

He was passed out in the Drivethru lane. Should Wendy’s have just closed the drivethru and let him sleep?

Was he driving or was he asleep

Your angle of quibbling is meaningless, unless his car somehow magically floated to that drive way. I'm sure the security footage says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lyan wrote: »
    Whatever the circumstances of this particular shooting, is it not fair to say that the quick-to-shoot tactics of the American police evolved as a response to legitimate dangers that are rarely found here in Europe? I mean go back a few years and Black areas had large gangs armed to the teeth with Ak-47s and Uzis.

Yes. It has to be a factor. The amount of guns and gun crime mean an American policeman is subject to levels of danger that we cannot understand in Europe.

It's just a completely different level of violence within society. They have more guns then any other western society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As I have posted twice on this thread, it all depends on the circumstances and what state he resides in...have a read of the link I posted twice already.

In some states if the car is stationary and turned off then he is not drink driving, we will have to wait and see.

However you cannot deny that he was being compliant up until the officer decided to cuff him, that escalated the issue. In light of recent happenings do you not think it would have been sensible to not escalate the issue, maintain a level head? Because that's what well trained cops are trained to do the world over!

And if as has been suggested he was suspected of being drunk, why not take control of the car from him straight away to be extra cautions, esp as he was passed out and unresponsive for some time?

The cops were more then polite and actually arrived to check he was ok, for all they knew he was unwell and were doing a welfare check, the car wasn't parked, the car was running (did you watch the video), he was in a queue not a parking spot until he was asked to park it.

Besides the point. You never shoot to kill a person just for running away, you chase, and if you can't catch him pick him up at his home following day.

How do you prove he was under the influence if you don’t get him breathalysed at the time? What if they’d let him run, and he’d returned to his car and killed someone as a drunk driver?

Try living in the real world.

And facts aren't your string point as evident on other threads!

So riddle me this, if he was obviously driving drunk then surely the police should have arrested him on the spot instead of instructing and waiting for him to park his car thus endangering the public?

Spot on

• Advertisement

I know you are referring t the police however in light of a recent killing of a blackman in America that was just out for a jog I think that your comment was a little crass...

Which one was that? The guy sneaking around a building site on his “jog”??

Your angle of quibbling is meaningless, unless his car somehow magically floated to that drive way. I'm sure the security footage says otherwise.
    it was a simple question

No reason? You expected them to leave a person blocking a drive through? If not drunk then might need medical assistance, if drunk could wake up and drive off and kill himself and others.
    He escalated it by resisting arrest not the police who are risking their lives trying to do a their job every day.

Now that said , I disagree with them shooting the man. How far could a drunk man get to. There was 2 or more officers on the scene he couldn't taser both. Why not fire a warning shot. Why not aim to wound.

Fcuking hell. A warning shot?? It’s not Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yeh the thief..that jogged away after rifling through someone's property & stealing their belongings.

Funny how they always go for a kill shot with a black man. Trained not to, but it's always head and chest shots. A bullet to the leg stops anyone.

They are trained to shoot at central mass. Jesus. Maybe they should have just shot the taser out of his hand??

The cops were more then polite and actually arrived to check he was ok, for all they knew he was unwell and were doing a welfare check, the car wasn't parked, the car was running (did you watch the video), he was in a queue not a parking spot until he was asked to park it.

But if he was obviously drunk according to some here, why ask him to park it putting others in danger?

Why not get him out of the car straight away? Surely a few customers would not mind driving around the car for a short time while the police sort it out, it happens all the time all over the world.

Fcuking hell. A warning shot?? It’s not Hollywood.
    How much danger were the cops in from a man running away from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How did he get to the queue?

We all sleep so by that logic we are no danger to anyone ever.

He was woken up, he was asked to pull car off to the side, he got out, he was checked and found to be impaired, they tried to cuff him he broke free, fought bought officers, took a officers weapon, fired it at them numerous times, they took out the threat which he was whether he was black or white.

Sure people have been shot that were unarmed but went for the officers gun, what you want the cop to do allow them to take their weapon and arrive home in a box.

Some serious deluded people on here

He resisted arrest and got away from the police. They would have been far better off to let him run. They knew who he was they had his car. Where was he going to go.

De escalation is not letting people off it is simply smarter policing.

Imagine today they could be calling to his house and arresting him for resisting arrest.
    He would still be alive, the cops would still have their jobs, and Justice would still be served.

Instead look at the sh*tshow that has unfolded.

And I would be accused of been anti police and anti law and order.
    Why don't people just look at how other countries handle law and order.
    No other developed nation does policing like the US.

walshb wrote: »
    Rather blanket claim this..

Rather stupid claim is more accurate.

• Advertisement

Yes, the guy who the racists father and son said "resembled" someone that may have been robbing a neighbourhood miles away
    Nozebleed wrote: »
    yeh the thief..that jogged away after rifling through someone's property & stealing their belongings.

What did he steal? Cant have been too big as we would have seen him carry it in the video of him being murdered. What was it? Did they find it on him after the followed hunted him?

Advertisement