Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

There is very little point in trying to look at this incident through Irish eyes.

We were only discussing the USA in work the other day, police officers have a different job there.
    Here, yes there are dangers, but unlike America, we can be sure that the majority of people are not carrying a gun

America is totally different to Ireland, if you have to deal with any issues, always having to consider that the person you are dealing with has a gun, & may well use it, then you think completely differently to a member of AGS here.

Laws are different, protocols are different.

However, if someone tried to take my Taser or Taser me, then I believe I am justified in shooting him. Primarily because there is an issue for my life or the life of others. Perhaps he will steal my firearm after he has tasered me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

joe40 wrote: »
    He resisted arrest and got away from the police. They would have been far better off to let him run. They knew who he was they had his car. Where was he going to go.

De escalation is not letting people off it is simply smarter policing.

Imagine today they could be calling to his house and arresting him for resisting arrest.
    He would still be alive, the cops would still have their jobs, and Justice would still be served.

Instead look at the sh*tshow that has unfolded.

And I would be accused of been anti police and anti law and order.
    Why don't people just look at how other countries handle law and order.
    No other developed nation does policing like the US.

And no doubt the community would start showing more trust in the police too!!

The thing is, smart policing does not make anyone money!

Nowhere in Europe does Mr. Brooks end up dead in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Fcuking hell. A warning shot?? It’s not Hollywood.

Warning shots are used by various police forces across the world. Of course it's not best policy as you might harm someone else or yourself but my point was that they jumped to 3 shots to kill instead of other options

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fcuking hell. A warning shot?? It’s not Hollywood.

There was another lad earlier today wanted to know why he wasn't just shot in the leg.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Akrasia wrote: »
    He wasn’t driving. he was asleep in a car that was parked in a car park

If the cops had a bit of cop on, they would have given him a warning instead of arresting him

How did the car get into the queue for the drivethru??

Nowhere in Europe does Mr. Brooks end up dead in that situation.

That's the point.
    Society in the USA has brought about this situation, it wouldn't happen in Europe, most likely & most probably would not happen in Ireland.
    But that's not because the police are better or worse in any jurisdiction, it's because of the society that offenders & police have grown up in & live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

How many lives could be saved by teaching not resisting arrest? When a cop is arresting you, it's not debate time. There is no choice. If you feel you are being wrongly arrested, racially profiled etc. you aren't going to win over the minds at be of this fact by resisting arrest. You go to the station, get a lawyer and sue the **** out of the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

bubblypop wrote: »
    America is totally different to Ireland, if you have to deal with any issues, always having to consider that the person you are dealing with has a gun, & may well use it, then you think completely differently to a member of AGS here.

Laws are different, protocols are different.

However, if someone tried to take my Taser or Taser me, then I believe I am justified in shooting him. Primarily because there is an issue for my life or the life of others. Perhaps he will steal my firearm after he has tasered me?

They know he hasn't a gun.

How will he steal your gun when your not on your own? wouldnt the 2nd policeman still be able to shoot him if you got tasered and he goes for your gun?

He resisted arrest and got away from the police. They would have been far better off to let him run. They knew who he was they had his car. Where was he going to go.

De escalation is not letting people off it is simply smarter policing.

Imagine today they could be calling to his house and arresting him for resisting arrest.
    He would still be alive, the cops would still have their jobs, and Justice would still be served.

Instead look at the sh*tshow that has unfolded.

And I would be accused of been anti police and anti law and order.
    Why don't people just look at how other countries handle law and order.
    No other developed nation does policing like the US.

Or he could have returned to his car, gotten into to and ploughed into an oncoming family. Or decided to settle a score and tase someone he had beef with and killed them.

• Advertisement

They know he hasn't a gun.

How will he steal your gun when your not on your own? wouldnt the 2nd policeman still be able to shoot him if you got tasered and he goes for your gun?

I shoot him, another policeman shoots him, he still gets shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Or he could have returned to his car, gotten into to and ploughed into an oncoming family. Or decided to settle a score and tase someone he had beef with and killed them.

sure you could do that later this evening :confused:

There was another lad earlier today wanted to know why he wasn't just shot in the leg.

Lads watching too much Die Hard

lawred2 wrote: »
    sure you could do that later this evening :confused:

I haven’t been drinking or passing out.

Lets play a game, its called...

Guess the colour of the guy in this incident who did the exact same thing as Rayshard Brooksnot not three days ago in that he broke a police officers radio while throwing him into a ditch and took another police officers taser and shooting it at him... but was not murdered....and all while be wheeled into an ambulance(not in cuffs mind,
    he was white
    )

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/bethlehem-man-allegedly-disarms-officer-of-taser-during-struggle/article_f001c08e-ac1c-11ea-837c-775197e66788.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

God you're right, better to kill him.

They had his keys, they could have lifted his car or got it towed.
    Everyone in America is entitled to carry a gun and you're worried that he has a taser.

Sorry but those arguments make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I haven’t been drinking or passing out.

be a lot of dead people based on your policing intuitions

God you're right, better to kill him.

They had his keys, they could have lifted his car or got it towed.
    Everyone in America is entitled to carry a gun and you're worried that he has a taser.

Sorry but those arguments make no sense.

I’m not worried he has a taser. It’s no use to him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

frag420 wrote: »

Guess the colour of the guy in this incident who did the exact same thing as Rayshard Brooksnot not three days ago in that he broke a police officers radio while throwing him into a ditch and took another police officers taser and shooting it at him... but was not murdered....and all while be wheeled into an ambulance(not in cuffs mind,
    he was white
    )

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/bethlehem-man-allegedly-disarms-officer-of-taser-during-struggle/article_f001c08e-ac1c-11ea-837c-775197e66788.html

That’s an interesting coincidence. The pro gun pro cop folk on here will be quickly ignoring that story.

That’s an interesting coincidence. The pro gun pro cop folk on here will be quickly ignoring that story.

Would that be the same way the George Floyd people ignored Tony Timpa??

• Advertisement

Or he could have got into his car and found a cure for Covid19’ that also
    Cures racism and made billions.

Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would that be the same manner in which you ignore that more white people are killed by police annually?

Would that be the same way the George Floyd people ignored Tony Timpa??

Look, over there, a squirrel!

Ive no idea who Tony Tampa is, will have a google now.

In the meantime, whats your thoughts on the link I shared above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

He could have come on a bus load of ould ones coming home from bingo, boarded the bus and killed them all

Would that be the same manner in which you ignore that more white people are killed by police annually?

Whats your thoughts on the link I shared above in the context of the incident that's just happened?

Or he could have got into his car and found a cure for Covid19’ that also
    Cures racism and made billions.

Unlikely though.

You think it’s unlikely that a person over the drink drive limit is unlikely to hit someone. Derek Keane probably thought it would be unlikely too.

Ive no idea who Tony Tampa is, will have a google now.

In the meantime, whats your thoughts on the link I shared above?

I think there were more police on the scene and they were within range to use pepper spray and taser.

No, because statistics are irrelevant when justifying a particular situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

he was white
    )

I'm gonna guess, is he black?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

You think it’s unlikely that a person over the drink drive limit is unlikely to hit someone. Derek Keane probably thought it would be unlikely too.

Why don’t you just go full jumping to conclusions and say the police saved a families life by shooting him?

People keep going back to hypotheticals instead of the actual videos of what actually DID happen.

Advertisement