Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everyone knows what can happen in a situation like that. It’s like the people that go to parts of the Middle East or Asia and get caught with enough weed for a couple of spliffs... Just don’t do it.

"America: only as oppressive as those bad parts of the Middle East or Asia."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Overheal wrote: »
    It's easy to sweep problems under the rug that way isnt it.

It's easy not look at alcohol as a major contributing factor towards crime too.

To avoid that common denominator is to avoid the truth. It's the law of cause and effect.

Esse85 wrote: »
    It's easy not look at alcohol as a major contributing factor towards crime too.

To avoid that common denominator is to avoid the truth. It's the law of cause and effect.

You're a century late for the Prohibition Movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

froog wrote: »
    the guy being;

1. a moron
    2. a criminal

still doesn't excuse him getting killed needlessly. not sure where people are going with those arguments.

He left that as their only choice, you can guarantee the police wish he hadn't forced them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

"America: only as oppressive as those bad parts of the Middle East or Asia."

Yeah, it’s a bit of a sh*thole alright. It’s not news and doesn’t change my point. 99.99% of the time you won’t be shot dead if you comply.

• Advertisement

I agree they shouldn't have exchanged fire with him. They should have let him run a couple minutes and drunk himself into the ground.

This makes me think you are posting for the fun of it, you ok probably could careless.

Let himself drink himself in to the ground, maybe they should have had a litre bottle of whiskey to give him to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Danzy wrote: »
    He left that as their only choice, you can guarantee the police wish he hadn't forced them to.
    It wasn't their only choice.
    An armed PSNI officer or UK police man or armed Garda would not have shot in those circumstances.

No there were other choices.

This makes me think you are posting for the fun of it, you ok probably could careless.

Let himself drink himself in to the ground, maybe they should have had a litre bottle of whiskey to give him to help.

Doesn't everyone post because they enjoy it? Or do you post because it makes you miserable and it feels like a chore?

Point being that as drunk as he was they wouldn't have needed to chase him far and he was no lethal threat to anyone after the taser was fired and missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

You're wrong.

All of the data you cite here is concerned with the absolute number of police shootings. (The 1000 or so each year I mentioned in my post.) As I said, most of these are undoubtedly justified. The reason why black people are over represented in the data you have cited here is because African American's are only 14% of the US population but they commit around 50% of the crime. Therefore, they have more interactions with the police.

Furthermore, for the police to be systemically racist, we would have to remove cases where a black cop shot a black victim. The evidence shows that black & hispanic cops are more likely to shoot black victims than white cops.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    An armed PSNI officer or UK police man or armed Garda would not have shot in those circumstances.

Different countries, different rules.

Only a tiny fraction of the hand guns, only a fraction of the serious crime and murder etc

Doesn't everyone post because they enjoy it? Or do you post because it makes you miserable and it feels like a chore?

Point being that as drunk as he was they wouldn't have needed to chase him far and he was no lethal threat to anyone after the taser was fired and missed.

I'm wondering if you think it was completely justified to shoot him but are being contrarian.

patsman07 wrote: »
    The reason why black people are over represented in the data you have cited here is because African American's are only 14% of the US population but they commit around 50% of the crime. Therefore, they have more interactions with the police.

Or maybe there's more than simple correlation and causation for a 400 year old problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joe40 wrote: »

How do you know.

He took their weapon and he used it against them, he could have then got their actual firearm if he contacted the taser right.

I'm wondering if you think it was completely justified to shoot him but are being contrarian.

It was not at all justified. Lethal force was excessive to the scenario.

It was not at all justified. Lethal force was excessive to the scenario.

That's your opinion.

Imo it was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

patsman07 wrote: »
    You're wrong.

All of the data you cite here is concerned with the absolute number of police shootings. (The 1000 or so each year I mentioned in my post.) As I said, most of these are undoubtedly justified. The reason why black people are over represented in the data you have cited here is because African American's are only 14% of the US population but they commit around 50% of the crime. Therefore, they have more interactions with the police.

Furthermore, for the police to be systemically racist, we would have to remove cases where a black cop shot a black victim. The evidence shows that black & hispanic cops are more likely to shoot black victims than white cops.

the links i shared show the probability of unarmed black people getting killed by police versus other races if you bothered to read them. not absolute numbers. so you either didn't even bother reading them, or you don't understand basic statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

How do you know.

He took their weapon and he used it against them, he could have then got their actual firearm if he contacted the taser right.
    He was drunk and running away, the cops were not in any immediate danger, call for back up and follow him

other choices:

1. run after him and tackle him to the ground (there was two cops)
    2. let him off and call for backup

He was drunk and running away, the cops were not in any immediate danger, call for back up and follow him

And what if he uses the taser on another officer or breaks into a home......

Seriously he was under arrest they can't be letting people run off with their weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Or maybe there's more than simple correlation and causation for a 400 year old problem.

Not for the problem of fatal police shootings. If you have a section of the population that is over-represented in the crime figures, they are going to be over-represented in the figures for police shootings.

The reason why that group is over represented in the crime figures is a different issue. And I suspect we'd have a lot of common ground in that debate.

other choices:

1. run after him and tackle him to the ground (there was two cops)
    2. let him off and call for backup

He had one of their tasers, they had already gone the tackling route and he fought and stole the weapon, he could use the taser against them..... Simple he was a major risk.

bet the police wish they had handled the situation better!

And what if he uses the taser on another officer or breaks into a home......

Seriously he was under arrest they can't be letting people run off with their weapons.
    call for back up and follow him!
    Shooting shouldn't always be the answer

He had one of their tasers, they had already gone the tackling route and he fought and stole the weapon, he could use the taser against them..... Simple he was a major risk.

he was running away with a non lethal weapon. the idea that he was plotting to incapacitate two cops, steal their guns and start killing people is ridiculous.

call for back up and follow him!
    Shooting shouldn't always be the answer

He was under arrest, they can't just let him run off with their weapon...

He tried to use it against them so he was a threat.

no he wasn't, someone running away from the police are not a danger to those he is running away from its simple

he was running away with a non lethal weapon. the idea that he was plotting to incapacitate two cops, steal their guns and start killing people is ridiculous.

That's your opinion.

no he wasn't, someone running away from the police are not a danger to those he is running away from its simple

Yes they are, many an officer has been wounded or killed from people trying to get away.

• Advertisement

He was under arrest, they can't just let him run off with their weapon...

He tried to use it against them so he was a threat.
    A drunk man with a taser running away is zero threat to 2 armed police officers, are u thick?

Advertisement