Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

A drunk man with a taser running away is zero threat to 2 armed police officers, are u thick?

What about the people he might be running into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

froog wrote: »
    he was running away with a non lethal weapon. the idea that he was plotting to incapacitate two cops, steal their guns and start killing people is ridiculous.
    All he wanted to do was get a burger and go home to bed, people here think he was hell bent on going on a killing rampage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

question for the people defending the cop;

imagine this happened in ireland - jimmy the local drunk (a white irish guy) is drink driving around the place and falls asleep outside supermacs and someone calls the guards. for whatever reason, the armed unit shows up. they struggle, jimmy takes a taser off one of the cops and runs away with it, he waves the taser behind his back and one of the armed gardai shoots him dead immediately.

are you seriously telling me you have zero problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A drunk man with a taser running away is zero threat to 2 armed police officers, are u thick?

Pity you weren't there to explain it to them all.

Tucked up in bed, given the time difference probably, if only you could reassure them the violent drunk who fought them stole a weapon wasn't pulling a gun.

You are very willing to sacrifice those working class guys from the safety of your leaba.

Luxxis wrote: »
    What about the people he might be running into?
    so he was out to kill everyone except the policemen he ran away from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

imagine this happened in ireland - jimmy the local drunk (a white irish guy) is drink driving around the place and falls asleep outside supermacs and someone calls the guards. for whatever reason, the armed unit shows up. they struggle, jimmy takes a taser off one of the cops and runs away with it, he waves the taser behind his back and one of the armed gardai shoots him dead immediately.

Don't resist arrest, don't punch cops, don't take their weapons and shoot at them.

Pretty simple recipe for how to avoid getting shot. The hoops folks are jumping through here to justify the actions of a pretty ****ty person are astounding.

Danzy wrote: »

Tucked up in bed, given the time difference probably, if only you could reassure them the violent drunk who fought them stole a weapon wasn't pulling a gun.

You are very willing to sacrifice those working class guys from the safety of your leaba.
    it was a taser gun not an atomic bomb he had

so he was out to kill everyone except the policemen he ran away from?

You dont know his intentions, his state of mind, how said state of mind was after an altercation with the police. No one know what he might have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

All he wanted to do was get a burger and go home to bed, people here think he was hell bent on going on a killing rampage

and you asked another user if they were tick??

and you asked another user if they were tick?:cool:
    same question to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Sure all he wanted to do was get a burger and go home to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Don't resist arrest, don't punch cops, don't take their weapons and shoot at them.

Pretty simple recipe for how to avoid getting shot. The hoops folks are jumping through here to justify the actions of a pretty ****ty person are astounding.

From the guy who doesn't even answer the question he's quoting.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the guy being a ****ty person; they're arguing that shooting a running man who is armed with a taser is an excessive use of force.

You can start bringing other factors into it but that's the crux of it; the amount of force used against this man was disproportionate to the potential for harm if he was not shot at that precise moment.

Sure all he wanted to do was get a burger and go home to bed.
    why would he be at a Wendy's restaurant sherlock

Luxxis wrote: »
    You dont know his intentions, his state of mind, how said state of mind was after an altercation with the police. No one know what he might have done.

sure you might as well shoot dead every single person who breaks the law by that logic. that guy jaywalking, i dunno, i mean he could be off to kill someone, he's already broken one law right? kill him and we don't have to do actual policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

He deserved to be shot.

Well done officers. They deserve to be reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In the US, there is a far higher chance that the drunk fella will have a gun.

Even if he doesn't with a taser he can potentially take the policeman's gun.

I have never been near a row in Ireland where a drunk fella pulled a gun and started shooting it. But I was in the US. I didn't see it happen as I was 50m or so away but I heard the screaming and then shots and everyone started running. I read more about it on the news the next day. Nobody was killed but a couple of people were hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

declanflynn, don't take kindly to name calling, I had the respect to not call you names.

Suppose shows you for who you really are....

Pity someone died but then cops wanted to go home alive that night and done their job well imo.

it was a taser gun not an atomic bomb he had

Like I said pity you weren't there but were safe in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

ronivek wrote: »
    From the guy who doesn't even answer the question he's quoting.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the guy being a ****ty person; they're arguing that shooting a running man who is armed with a taser is an excessive use of force.

You can start bringing other factors into it but that's the crux of it; the amount of force used against this man was disproportionate to the potential for harm if he was not shot at that precise moment.

He attacked the police and took their weapon and used it against them. The officers were absolutely justified in using lethal force against him, and I imagine will likely win a wrongful dismissal lawsuit when it all shakes out.

declanflynn, don't take kindly to name calling, I had the respect to not call you names.

Suppose shows you for who you really are....

Pity someone died but then cops wanted to go home alive that night and done their job well imo.
    They shot a guy dead while he was running away from them

• Advertisement

In the US, there is a far higher chance that the drunk fella will have a gun.

Even if he doesn't with a taser he can potentially take the policeman's gun.

I have never been near a row in Ireland where a drunk fella pulled a gun and started shooting it. But I was in the US. I didn't see it happen as I was 50m or so away but I heard the screaming and then shots and everyone started running. I read more about it on the news the next day. Nobody was killed but a couple of people were hit.

do you think if the guy in the US was white he would still have been shot dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

armed unit not general police very unlikely to respond
    America has many guns not like many other places
    supermacs food is to good to burn it down

sure you might as well shoot dead every single person who breaks the law by that logic. that guy jaywalking, i dunno, i mean he could be off to kill someone, he's already broken one law right? kill him and we don't have to do actual policing.

Most people dont fight with the police then run away.

He attacked the police and took their weapon and used it against them. The officers were absolutely justified in using lethal force against him, and I imagine will likely win a wrongful dismissal lawsuit when it all shakes out.

what if it was a baton he stole and waved about? is shooting him dead still justified?

do you think if the guy in the US was white he would still have been shot dead?

Statistical evidence shows us he would be more likely to be shot dead.

armed unit not general police very unlikely to respond
    America has many guns not like many other places
    supermacs food is to good to burn it down

Fake news if I ever saw it :)

Like I said pity you weren't there but were safe in bed.
    he was running away from them that's the opposite of running towards them

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

You are missing the point which has been made a million times ITT, Ireland and America are completely different when it comes to guns. Cops are regularly shot at and killed in America.

Also you and others defending him keeping leaving out the point were he was drunk behind the wheel, you make it seem like he was just having a nap outside the burger shop

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They shot a guy dead while he was running away from them

He was also using the taser against them in their policing duty, they were trying to catch the person they had placed under arrest....

What police force would they be if they let people run away and especially so with their equipment.

• Advertisement

NotMOL wrote: »
    You are missing the point which has been made a million times ITT, Ireland and America are completely different when it comes to guns. Cops are regularly shot at and killed in America.

Also you and others defending him keeping leaving out the point were he was drunk behind the wheel, you make it seem like he was just having a nap outside the burger shop

I'll add to that by saying if you dont want run in's with the cops, dont break the law.

Advertisement