Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

froog wrote: »
    do you think if the guy in the US was white he would still have been shot dead?

If he was "white" and resisted arrest, ran away and fired the taser at the cop, yeah I reckon he'd have been shot.

The main difference, had he been white, would be that you wouldn't hear about the story in Ireland and there wouldn't be a thread on it on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What would have happened if he hadn't attacked two cops?

He'd probably be back in jail where he should have been.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The hoops folks are jumping through here to justify the actions of a pretty ****ty person are astounding.

The guys defending the cop are unreal I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Why not just let him run? Where was he going to get to? His car was left behind. They had that. Stupid American cop over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

If he was "white" and resisted arrest, ran away and fired the taser at the cop, yeah I reckon he'd have been shot.

The main difference, had he been white, would be that you wouldn't hear about the story in Ireland and there wouldn't be a thread on it on boards.ie

i admire your optimism, i don't share that confidence.

and yeah, if the guy was white it wouldn't be a story. because black people are much more likely to be shot dead than white people and it's a few weeks after a white cop murdered an unarmed black guy on camera while 3 of his buddies stood by.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Statistical evidence shows us he would be more likely to be shot dead.

How? Statistical evidence shows blacks are 2.5x more likely to be killed by police than whites?

NotMOL wrote: »
    You are missing the point which has been made a million times ITT, Ireland and America are completely different when it comes to guns. Cops are regularly shot at and killed in America.

Also you and others defending him keeping leaving out the point were he was drunk behind the wheel, you make it seem like he was just having a nap outside the burger shop

Fantastic dodge of the question answered fair play for ignorance

and yeah, if the guy was white it wouldn't be a story. because black people are much more likely to be shot dead than white people and it's a few weeks after a white cop murdered an unarmed black guy on camera while 3 of his buddies stood by.

And most black people are shot dead by other black people, not by white cops, not by white people.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

The journal .ie had a recent report about Garda detectives surrounded by 15 youths who attacked them, and tried to throw them under an approaching car. One of the detectives said that he felt that one of the assailants had attempted to take his gun. So we in this country may not be as immune to these situations as we might like to think we are.

If some attitudes on this thread prevail in Irish politics you will see an increasing amount of it.

And most black people are shot dead by other black people, not by white cops, not by white people.

what the hell has that got to do with anything? we're talking about deaths of people by police. the guys who are entrusted with keeping people safe and given lethal weapons to perform that function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Danzy wrote: »
    He was in the drive thru lane, asleep, drunk at the wheel.
    exactly!
    Not plotting another 9/11

i think you're confusing me with another poster. the guy clearly drunk drove, resisted arrest and stole the cops taser. also has previous convictions. he deserved to be arrested and jailed/prosecuted. he didn't deserve to be shot dead.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Granadino wrote: »
    Why not just let him run? Where was he going to get to? His car was left behind. They had that. Stupid American cop over reaction.

This is what I don't get. Why are US cops so intent on shooting and wrestling with guys that are attempting to escape when 1). They know who he is and 2). They know he is no threat to anyone and can be picked up in the morning. Every day simple policing situations get blown up into fatal events that destroy lives on both sides for nothing.

These cops are obviously very poorly trained. The victim is often white. My comments are not race related.

This is what I don't get. Why are US cops so intent on shooting and wrestling with guys that are attempting to escape when 1). They know who he is and 2). They know he is no threat to anyone and can be picked up in the morning. Every day simple policing situations get blown up into fatal events that destroy lives on both sides for nothing.

These cops are obviously very poorly trained.
    I'd say this will be used an example of how not to handle a situation in future training for cops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

These cops are obviously very poorly trained. The victim is often white. My comments are not race related.

The sooner they start ignoring calls into black neighborhoods the better for everyone. Its win win

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Daniel Shaver video/murder from 2016 has been getting a lot of attention in recent times.

Shows just how power hungry and ruthless many US cops are. They seem to have a terrible mindset, and many probably are psychopaths and like the thrill of shooting people.

That video for me is shocking, and even more shocking is the fact that the judge did not prosecute the killer.

Only in America. What a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Have you ever even visited the US?

If I was given the choice between being an unarmed guard in Ireland and a cop with a gun in the US, from a purely safety perspective, I'd choose the former any day of the week.

BTW, you can look at this graph if you want.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

It's not a competition btw. Just a messed up overall system due to the prevalence of guns.

what the hell has that got to do with anything? we're talking about deaths of people by police. the guys who are entrusted with keeping people safe and given lethal weapons to perform that function.

You've missed an awful lot of this discussion if you think it's just about deaths of people by police.

I'd say this will be used an example of how not to handle a situation in future training for cops

Why?

this is one of the root problems. police training time varies across different US states, but can be as short as a few weeks. most other countries it's years. coupled with the fact that people like derek chauvin 1. got into the police and 2. stayed there after repeated complaints and violations and you have a real **** show. not to mention hardcore police unions making it impossible to enact any kind of meaningful change.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Daniel Shaver video/murder from 2016 has been getting a lot of attention in recent times.

Shows just how power hungry and ruthless many US cops are. They seem to have a terrible mindset, and many probably are psychopaths and like the thrill of shooting people.

That video for me is shocking, and even more shocking is the fact that the judge did not prosecute the killer.

Only in America. What a sh1thole.
    Most posters on here think think US cops are mother Theresa types

Why?

he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

These cops are obviously very poorly trained.

I think there are a bunch of reasons:

1) Repercussions for using force inappropriately seem to be virtually non-existent.
    2) Requirements to become an officer can be very different and lead to some "less than ideal" personality types being allowed in.
    3) Constant fear that everyone has a gun that could be pulled at any time and that the lives of cops are vastly more valuable than almost anyone else.
    4) Lack of training in use of force; in particular subduing someone correctly in the first place rather than letting things escalate.
    5) What can be an extremely punitive justice system for very minor crimes which puts many offenders in perceived "life or death" situations too often.
    6) Long and drawn out encounters for trivial matters such as traffic stops with ridiculous sobriety tests.

You also have to remember that there are a gazillion and one different police departments which differ wildly between and within states; for example elected Sheriffs who run departments not based on any actual merit or skills in leadership but due to their political accumen and/or community connections.

I also think it's important sometimes to remember the USA is a huge country and just as the very worst of those protesting shouldn't be used to vilify all protestors; the very worst of those cops/departments shouldn't be used to vilify all officers and departments.

he died.

That was his own fault.

Why?
    em not sure, they should have shot him when he was asleep.
    Why me arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The sooner they start ignoring calls into black neighborhoods the better for everyone. Its win win

Not sure what that has to do with my point on training?

Have you ever even visited the US?

If I was given the choice between being an unarmed guard in Ireland and a cop with a gun in the US, from a purely safety perspective, I'd choose the former any day of the week.

BTW, you can look at this graph if you want.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

It's not a competition btw. Just a messed up overall system due to the prevalence of guns.

i lived in the US for 3 years.

and once again you and others keep showing statistics that show total deaths, taking no account of proportion of the population. i suspect most of you know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

this is one of the root problems. police training time varies across different US states, but can be as short as a few weeks. most other countries it's years. coupled with the fact that people like derek chauvin 1. got into the police and 2. stayed there after repeated complaints and violations and you have a real **** show. not to mention hardcore police unions making it impossible to enact any kind of meaningful change.

Completely agree with you on this. They don't know how to de escalate anything.

It's just aggression straight away, and it probably is fear in some cases that means they pull the trigger when they shouldn't. Doesn't mean they are bad people but incompetent.

Imagine having to work as a policeman after a few weeks. How would you know anything about the law. Never mind how to deal with someone with mental health issues or high or how to overpower someone stronger then you without your gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Black people are citizens and pay tax as well. They have the right to the protection of the police as they pay for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,763 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did the taser injury or kill the cop?

They could shot to injury stop not kill

Advertisement