Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Having people like Ice Cubes constant commentary on everything doesn't help the situation what so ever. They are gravely concerned about injustice while finding comedy in in people failing to comply with the law. They don't want justice and they don't care about any black mans life.

https://twitter.com/icecube/status/1271993759023038466

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

For anyone leaning on the police's side in this one..
    .they shot him in the back... twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The sooner they start ignoring calls into black neighborhoods the better for everyone. Its win win

I guess ER doctors should refuse to treat them as well?

Where is your moral boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

First time watching the footage on a bigger screen and it looks like Brooks had fired the taser before the officer actually drew his firearm and fired.

Since taser cartridges are single shot; this looks like an even more excessive use of force than it looked initially. It might explain why he was fired immediately since technically he shot an entirely unarmed fleeing man.

How many more times likely are blacks likely to be involved in violent crimes than whites?? If it’s more than 2.5% then whites are being killed by cops disproportionately.

I don’t know the answer to your question. I would be interested if you find the numbers we could do the math. All I am stating is that to the best of my knowledge the available statistics show that blacks are 2.5x more likely to be killed by a police officer. The rest is up for discussion: is that because of animosity from blacks to police, or police to blacks? Surely it depends on the day and the pair of cohorts, there’s just too many different kinds of unique American and personality to say. I think everyone implicitly understands that there are unique challenges and opportunities for both sides of the conflict. I don’t ever comment usually on what blacks should be doing to better their lives because that feels inherently condescending and bigoted, even if those comments are not coming from a place of derision, hatred or racism. However, as a college-educated voter I feel no reservations about exercising speech regarding our criminal justice system.

• Advertisement

They are out protesting against police. If you think individual officers wint remember that fact going forward and treat them differently then you are wrong.

Why put themselves at risk for a section of society who wants them defunded, calls the murderers and in some cases wants them abolished altogether.
    Leave them to sort their own problems

Then it’s probably a good idea for the community to fire them if they aren’t willing to serve and protect the community.

Maybe the US needs a #WLM movement?

Please savor the sheer ignorance of what you just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The problem is for the most part there doesn't appear to be a conversation. Just sides shouting loudly and ignoring the parts of reality that don't suit themselves. Sure there's some police and protesters capable of talking but it seems to be very rare.

Even this cop, why did the chief resign? Why force him out before the facts are known? This isn't Justice, it's pandering to mob rule. It's reverse lynching but again, it's the us Justice system and society as a whole.

Then, what else can you expect when your choices are fox or CNN? Both horrible biased and in no way impartial news reporters.

Have you ever seen https://www.adfontesmedia.com/? Just as an aside; but CNN is generally quite a bit less biased than Fox from what I've seen (and what others have measured).

And we're here actively discussing it; as are countless other people. Just because a lot of the loudest and most vocal and most retweeted people aren't exactly the most measured or unbiased doesn't mean those discussions aren't happening.

As for knee-jerk reactions I would agree; not sure why he was immediately fired nor why the Chief resigned so quickly. However if as I stated above the facts are that Brooks had already discharged the taser and this was essentially a shooting of an unarmed man it might explain that aspect.

As others have pointed out, African-Americans commit over 50% of crime.

The statistic cited was 52% of homicides where the perpetrator has been identified iirc not all crimes.

It’s interesting to see how that has been distorted by way of playing the telephone game in this thread.

Having people like Ice Cubes constant commentary on everything doesn't help the situation what so ever. They are gravely concerned about injustice while finding comedy in in people failing to comply with the law. They don't want justice and they don't care about any black mans life.

https://twitter.com/icecube/status/1271993759023038466

What comedy? I’m genuinely confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Overheal wrote: »
    What comedy? I’m genuinely confused.

I'm confused.

You seen absolutely obsessed with this and the George Floyd story...

I'm confused.

You seen absolutely obsessed with this and the George Floyd story...

And?

I’m a United States citizen, these events are incredibly significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

No one aims for the leg or shoulder you lunatic. And as for three shots, I linked earlier to the fact that cops are trained to triple tap before assessing the situation.

Bullsh!t. Plenty of cops fire off a warning shot or one non lethal round, before going for the kill... you are just defending a nervous and trigger happy cop here, that is bad at his job!

The fact that a drunk man managed to escape from two sober police officers... and then take one of their tasers, this alone shows that they were not in command of this situation. The guy was dumb, but he didn't deserve to die for it... this cop shot to kill a man who was running away in possession of a non-lethal weapon! He panicked and lost his sh!t...

He deserved to be fired from his job, because he lacked the composure required to be a police officer. You need to be much more calm in stressful situations to do this kind of job. And a man is now dead, because he couldn't maintain his composure or maintain control of an intoxicated person!

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if this cop was a rookie with very little experience. He looked and acted like a very inexperienced police officer. Or he's just rubbish at his job - either way he messed up and deserved to be fired for incompetence!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bullsh!t. Plenty of cops fire off a warning shot or one non lethal round, before going for the kill... you are just defending a nervous and trigger happy cop here, that is bad at his job!

The fact that a drunk man managed to escape from two sober police officers... and then take one of their tasers, this alone shows that they were not in command of this situation. The guy was dumb, but he didn't deserve to die for it... this cop shot to kill a man who was running away in possession of a non-lethal weapon! He panicked and lost his sh!t...

He deserved to be fired from his job, because he lacked the composure required to be a police officer. You need to be much more calm in stressful situations to do this kind of job. And a man is now dead, because he couldn't maintain his composure or maintain control of an intoxicated person!

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if this cop was a rookie with very little experience. He looked and acted like a very inexperienced police officer. Or he's just rubbish at his job - either way he messed up and deserved to be fired for incompetence!

Or maybe he had a bloodlust and feeling of power?

A lot of US cops seem to suffer from it. They seem to place little to no value on a human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I think it's easy to judge the cops for panicking here but this is a real **** show of a situation that just keeps escalating - they totally mess up arresting him and then he grabs a taser and shoots one of them and it all goes to **** from there.

I don't get why they're talking to him in the first place ... surely in the first 20 seconds they could of said... mate.. your piss drunk... call a friend and get home now - don't drive or we're taking you in ?

Cops inexperienced dumbasses and victim really chanced his arm here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

froog wrote: »
    question for the people defending the cop;

imagine this happened in ireland - jimmy the local drunk (a white irish guy) is drink driving around the place and falls asleep outside supermacs and someone calls the guards. for whatever reason, the armed unit shows up. they struggle, jimmy takes a taser off one of the cops and runs away with it, he waves the taser behind his back and one of the armed gardai shoots him dead immediately.

are you seriously telling me you have zero problem with that?

So this is the blindingly obvious comparison to make as boards.ie is an Irish site. It's telling that the pro US police people here have completely ducked answering this question. They know full well there would be massive outrage in Ireland if an armed Garda had shot some guy who ran off with a taser.

For all the comments about the US being different, the Gardai have had active paramilitary forces in the North for decades and have somehow managed to avoid regularly shooting people in the border counties. I can only imagine how US police would react to such a threat.

In this case, Brooks resisted arrest, assaulted an officer and stole a taser.
    None of that would justify lethal force as he was running away. The police themselves consider a taser a less lethal / non lethal weapon. US police are alone in the western world in having such a low threshold for shooting someone.

No that’s definitely not in US practice. Cops do not put less lethal rounds at the start of their clips or anything, they don’t normally carry rubber rounds afaik. That’s not to say some departments mightn’t carry rubber rounds but they’d be an abnormality, it is definitely not a standard. It’s an interesting idea, though, but the root problem is the alarming propensity to escalate the use of the firearm early and often. Sometimes a cop will point at gun at someone just for recording them on a cell phone (easily verified exercise for the reader).

Fcuked up Country.

Protect and serve my ass.

Watched about 2 minutes of that vid and it was enough. Just at the part where the civilian was beginning to get agitated...I knew what was coming then. All that cop wanted to do was assert his dominance. Putting words in the guy's mouth. "Would you agree?". So much for community policing and "protect and serve". Like someone said a few posts back the officer could have gotten the guy to make arrangements to go home. It was obvious he was drunk. Cop just a bully.

According to the law he was in a vehicle drunk in a public place and getting a result/arrest was more important to the cop than common sense, but instead he decided to take an arbitrary approach to what is a "minority report" type law anyway. Wasn't even driving the car ffs. Plus, he was in a carpark - I don't know if that makes any difference. Was the cop perhaps trying to get him to voluntarily incriminate himself because he was on private property and not roadside?

I might have a different opinion if I watched the whole clip; but for me I saw the salient part and that's what I'm basing my opinion on

Nothing to do with being black - all about arrests and getting the shekels and the numbers up.

Pretty much the same here in Eire imo minus the weaponry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

brendanL wrote: »
    I think it's easy to judge the cops for panicking here but this is a real **** show of a situation that just keeps escalating - they totally mess up arresting him and then he grabs a taser and shoots one of them and it all goes to **** from there.

I don't get why they're talking to him in the first place ... surely in the first 20 seconds they could of said... mate.. your piss drunk... call a friend and get home now - don't drive or we're taking you in ?

Cops inexperienced dumbasses and victim really chanced his arm here....
    my granny would have handled the situation better and he wouldn't have got hold of her taser either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ronivek wrote: »
    First time watching the footage on a bigger screen and it looks like Brooks had fired the taser before the officer actually drew his firearm and fired.

Since taser cartridges are single shot; this looks like an even more excessive use of force than it looked initially. It might explain why he was fired immediately since technically he shot an entirely unarmed fleeing man.

It can still be used after fired, cop didn't have time to stop and check were the barbs in his body.

The man was a criminal, he was no girl scout and knew well how things work, he only had to comply and he would still be alive and most likely be at home the next day.

He fought two officers, they were extremely friendly and professional and I would like to see that is how they all handle themselves.

Unfortunately he died, the officers weren't there to kill or injure and you could see they didn't want to use such force, they're trained to take out the threat and as he was armed with one of their weapons.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ronivek wrote: »

Police in the states use tasers with 3 shots in them.

You are talking absolute nonsense.

It can still be used after fired, cop didn't have time to stop and check were the barbs in his body.

The man was a criminal, he was no girl scout and knew well how things work, he only had to comply and he would still be alive and most likely be at home the next day.

He fought two officers, they were extremely friendly and professional and I would like to see that is how they all handle themselves.

Unfortunately he died, the officers weren't there to kill or injure and you could see they didn't want to use such force, they're trained to take out the threat and as he was armed with one of their weapons.

He wouldn’t have been home the next day. He knew that. He was in breach of his parole and was going back to prison. That’s why he fled.

He wouldn’t have been home the next day. He knew that. He was in breach of his parole and was going back to prison. That’s why he fled.

With covid he may not have to be honest.
    Under normal circumstances he shouldn't have even been out anyway.

We all can take from this that if you comply you survive and obviously there are a few cases not but not many in the scheme of things and of course that is wrong.

He attacked 2 officers and lost his life for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Fcuked up Country.

Protect and serve my ass.

Watched about 2 minutes of that vid and it was enough. Just at the part where the civilian was beginning to get agitated...I knew what was coming then. All that cop wanted to do was assert his dominance. Putting words in the guy's mouth. "Would you agree?". So much for community policing and "protect and serve". Like someone said a few posts back the officer could have gotten the guy to make arrangements to go home. It was obvious he was drunk. Cop just a bully.

According to the law he was in a vehicle drunk in a public place and getting a result/arrest was more important to the cop than common sense, but instead he decided to take an arbitrary approach to what is a "minority report" type law anyway. Wasn't even driving the car ffs. Plus, he was in a carpark - I don't know if that makes any difference. Was the cop perhaps trying to get him to voluntarily incriminate himself because he was on private property and not roadside?

I might have a different opinion if I watched the whole clip; but for me I saw the salient part and that's what I'm basing my opinion on

Nothing to do with being black - all about arrests and getting the shekels and the numbers up.

Pretty much the same here in Eire imo minus the weaponry.

How do you think he got there? The car was running when police arrived. He was drunk enough to pass out waiting in the drive thru line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You are talking absolute nonsense.

Nope, I'm talking absolute sense here... Two completely sober and heavily armed cops allowed one unarmed drunk man to take control of the situation. The fact he had to draw his weapon and shoot 3 rounds at a drunk man running away, is proof that they lacked the requisite ability to control a fairly routine situation!

The drunk man was dumb, but that's hardly unusual for drunk people... he didn't deserve to die for his stupidity. And in most other western countries, he would almost certainly still be alive and in a court answering to a judge! But in braindead America, he gets gunned down like a scene from bad hollywood movie!

Too many twitchy and trigger happy people in America... far too eager to take their firearm out and start shooting, before they've fully engaged their brain! It's just too easy to take a lethal weapon out and end someone's life in that country... you can spend years in multiple court cases and appeals to decide if someone should be given a death sentence... but then end someone else's life in milliseconds with no trial at all... that's illogical and disturbing for any so-called civilized society!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Given the current atmosphere, I'm surprised the cops would shoot a black man for even a grave reason never mind what looks here to be, in the big scheme of things, a somewhat minor enough one. Have they been living under a rock these past few weeks. Course cops, thinking to themselves, I'm not getting fired and I'm not getting shot so I'll just do enough to collect my weekly pay and turn away from any trouble would probably cause a whole other set of problems.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm talking absolute sense here... Two completely sober and heavily armed cops allowed one unarmed drunk man to take control of the situation. The fact he had to draw his weapon and shoot 3 rounds at a drunk man running away, is proof that they lacked the requisite ability to control a fairly routine situation!

The drunk man was dumb, but that's hardly unusual for drunk people... he didn't deserve to die for his stupidity. And in most other western countries, he would almost certainly still be alive and in a court answering to a judge! But in braindead America, he gets gunned down like a scene from bad hollywood movie!

Too many twitchy and trigger happy people in America... far too eager to take their firearm out and start shooting, before they've fully engaged their brain! It's just too easy to take a lethal weapon out and end someone's life in that country... you can spend years in multiple court cases and appeals to decide if someone should be given a death sentence... but then end someone else's life in milliseconds with no trial at all... that's illogical and disturbing for any so-called civilized society!

Drink and drugs can give unbelievable strength.

Some people can take 6 or 7 to get under control.

Advertisement