Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,284 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tragic. But what are the cops to do? I can’t know for certain, and nor can anyone yet, but was this a last resort for the cops to protect their lives?

They certainly didn’t set out to injure or kill the man. He turned the situation into a far deadlier situation than it needed to be. Cops carry guns. He may well have had a good chance to take the gun(s) snd use them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

There was 10,300,000 people arrested in 2018 , the police kill on average 1000 people a year , so that averages out at 1 death per 10,300 arrests. That doesn't seem to high a number when you take how many guns are floating around over there. Are there mistakes made every year, of course they're are. But the media and BLM are doing no favours trying to push a narrative that police are shooting down every innocent black man . I seen a video last year of an officer trying to shoot a dog that's run at him, he missed and killed the owner who was a white woman . You don't see the media pushing that but if the owner had of been black you'd all have heard about it .

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/us/homeless-woman-killed-cop-arlington-texas.html

They completely lost their sh!t... the officer panicked and used lethal force, where the simple threat of lethal force would probably have been more effective.

He was drunk but co-operating. Why put his hands behind his back and cuff him? And why not calmly explain that you're going to cuff him beforehand, and ask him to calmly co-operate?

The sudden transition from talking with the officers, to then being cuffed, seems to have set off the "fight or flight" response for the black guy. (Probably because he feared being the next victim of white police brutality... can't really blame him tbh)

No. He completely lost his ****.

The slating of cops here is ludicrous..

Shoulda this, shoulda that....they are the cops. Not you. They are the ones in the line of fire here...

It’s getting ridiculously out of hand here with people attacking police at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

jucko wrote: »
    i have lived in Atlanta for years.
    i got in a fight with an armed off duty cop one night, who was legally working as security at a nightclub.it was outside nightclub as i was leaving. The cop was being unreasonable, but it was mostly my fault. i had forgotten my jacket and my wallet was in it. I should have come back next day etc..

during the row, i ended up with the gun. The reason i'm alive today is because i'm white.
    It went to court, officer got compensated and didnt show up.
    i got off pretty handy in fairness.

God love this man and his family, he was drunk and stupid like i was, but he didnt deserve to die. Dealing with a man celebrating a party and being stupid (maybe for once!) by killing him is crazy, let him walk home, get over it.

This BLM is ridiculous and creating more hate and putting hate in the souls of our children.

The anxiety of parents of black children trying to do their best for them is so sad.
    thats my 2 bits,

If you had his gun who did you expect was going to kill you? Was he going to take it back off you and then shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

walshb wrote: »
    Tragic. But what are the cops to do? I can’t know for certain, and nor can anyone yet, but was this a last resort for the cops to protect their lives?

They certainly didn’t setup to injure or kill the man. He turned the situation into a far deadlier situation than it needed to be. Cops carry guns. He may well have had a good chance to take the gun(s) snd use them..

The cops knew who he was, they had his car, so know him name and address, if they hadn’t already checked his ID, which in the states they always do.

They didn’t need to shoot him, he could have run off, they could easily have traced him and Arrested him later.

• Advertisement

Shoulda this, shoulda that....they are the cops. Not you. They are the ones in the line of fire here...

It’s getting ridiculously out of hand here with people attacking police at every turn.

So do you think it was justified?

The cops knew who he was, they had his car, so know him name and address, if they hadn’t already checked his ID, which in the states they always do.

They didn’t need to shoot him, he could have run off, they could easily have traced him and Arrested him later.

So you have all the video here? You know for sure that he was no threat to them at all?

They had guns. As cops do. Is it not possible that they believed he could have gotten the gun to use on them?

Op Tell the full story you fraud. This is getting disgusting now .

I hope some day you need an police officer and nobody answers the phone to you .
    Terrible

Lol

So you have all the video here? You know for sure that he was no threat to them at all?

They had guns. As cops do. Is it not possible that they believed he could have gotten the gun to use on them?

While he was running away? Like use his psychic powers to get the gun?

So do you think it was justified?

I have not seen all the video. I am not in possession of all the facts...

But from what I have seen, he completely lost his **** to begin with, and it escalated from there..

I certainly my wouldn’t be slating them or agreeing with them without fall the facts..

• Advertisement

While he was running away? Like use his psychic powers to get the gun?

Ok, if established he was running away with no gun in his possession, then this does seem rash and excessive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

So if the police know who the person is, they should just let people away when resisting arrest because they can go and get him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If it was a white guy asleep in his car he would probably wake up on the tarmac with no wallet or watch.

Why would the cops rob him of his wallet and watch that just sounds dumb?

Unless of course you mean that he would have been assaulted and robbed by someone while asleep in his car, that would not be a black person your thinking off per change would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

this was no execution..police officers were 100% in the right. the victim assaulted an officer and took his taser..which can kill..it has the potential to be a deadly weapon. the other officer probably had no idea if the perp had the gun or the taser and acted correctly..in self defence. nothing to do with racism..

the problem here is not the police officer. its the african american man's attitude toward authority.

So if the police know who the person is, they should just let people away when resisting arrest because they can go and get him again?

You speaking about a hypothetical situation, that’s not relevant here, because resisting arrest and running away are very different. One poses a physical danger to the cop that needs to be handled appropriately, and the other doesn’t.

The question here is was the officers life in imminent danger?
    Was the suspect fleeing?
    Was it possible to make the arrest for the crime later and avoid the use of lethal force?

Nozebleed wrote: »
    this was no execution..police officers were 100% in the right. the victim assaulted an officer and took his taser..which can kill..it has the potential to be a deadly weapon. the other officer probably had no idea if the perp had the gun or the taser and acted correctly..in self defence. nothing to do with racism..

the problem here is not the police officer. its the african american man's attitude toward authority.

Yet he was fired...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s a tough one, I don’t think the officer was totally out of line but look at how the UK police deal with knife crime.

It’s all good in hindsight but stepping back, assessing the situation and making a rational decision would have been the right thing to do.

A taser has one shot, there are 2 officers if not 3. With that fact alone they should have stepped off beyond the range (which they know) and asked him to put it down.

I feel for both the victim and the officer involved, but there is clearly a training and mindset issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,378 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yet he was fired...

For optics.

The only 'game' in town right now.

Nozebleed wrote: »

So does a turnip if thrown hard enough, whats your point?

Also according to the US Police they use tasers because they are meant to be non lethal, they are not meant to kill. Why shoot someone with a non lethal weapon, seems excessive no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm not attacking the police - lets get that straight. I respect the police. (Particularly our own, who are far better than their US counterparts imho)

These officers were very nervous and trigger happy. The officer shoots him 3 times in quick succession... and you call that a reasonable response?

Why fire 3 shots? Why not one shot? Why not shoot over his head? Why not tell him you're going to open fire if he doesn't put down the taser? (A non-lethal weapon that only has one round)

But had they dealt with the situation better earlier, then there should have been no need for the use of lethal force. Some of our Gardai have tasers... what would they do if someone resisted arrest and stole their taser...? The perpetrator would not end up dead that's for sure...

Those cops were trigger happy and WAY too nervous to be police officers... you need to be much more in control of yourself to do that job. I don't really blame the drunk black guy for being very scared of two white cops trying to cuff him... he reacted badly, but I think he possibly feared a repeat of the George Floyd incident... if you're a white guy, you probably have no clue what it's like to be arrested in America as a black man. We just don't know how much fear this man had when they tried to cuff him. Perhaps he was mistreated by white cops in the past... (Very possible).

• Advertisement

Yet he was fired...

In your opinion was that justified?

McDermotX wrote: »
    For optics.

The only 'game' in town right now.

Are you saying he was only fired because of people’s outrage about other incidents? That the cop was right to shoot?

[PHP][/PHP]
    zpehtsfd wrote: »
    In your opinion was that justified?

The shooting or the firing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rodin wrote: »
    The mindset that Im just going to stand there and let a guy tase me?

Will you allow black people to have that response? Or is it just for cops?

Following your logic if a cop points a taser at anybody then that persons life is in danger and so they should be allowed to defend themselves with lethal force.

Ok, if established he was running away with no gun in his possession, then this does seem rash and excessive..

But he wasn’t JUST running away. The Wendy’s CCTV clearly shows he turned back towards the cop and fired a taser at him.

I have no problem discussing the cops handling of this but, laurencesummers, you are blatantly lying in your posts here. You really need more practice is twisting narrative to suit your agenda.

But he wasn’t JUST running away. The Wendy’s CCTV clearly shows he turned back towards the cop and fired a taser at him.

I have no problem discussing the cops handling of this but, laurencesummers, you are blatantly lying in your posts here. You really need more practice is twisting narrative to suit your agenda.

What am I lying about strawberry?

Btw it doesn’t show that he fired a taser, it shows that he pointed one.

[PHP][/PHP]

The shooting or the firing?

Firing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

frag420 wrote: »
    So does a turnip if thrown hard enough, whats your point?

Also according to the US Police they use tasers because they are meant to be non lethal, they are not meant to kill. Why shoot someone with a non lethal weapon, seems excessive no?

you seem to believe he was taken out. who's to say the officer who shot him wasn't aiming at his shoulder,arm,leg or whatever other part of the body that would stop the guy from leaving the scene.

why didnt the guy just accept he was wrong,admit drink driving and get in the police car. like normal civilised folk do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    The cop clearly states that he is going to cuff him before putting them on. Putting his hands behind his back and cuffing him is normal procedure for a DUI.

The question you should be asking is why he decided to resist arrest. He had absolutely no reason to fear for his life and knew full well that resisting would put him in a worse position with the cops. To say you can't really blame him for resisting is absolute nonsense.

What I meant is he should have discussed it slowly and calmly before cuffing him... the man was drunk and probably a bit scared.

They just said, "we're gonna cuff you now", and proceeded to put his hands behind his back. I think that was too abrupt for the situation and the current climate. The man got spooked by getting cuffed... he probably wasn't expecting it.

• Advertisement

Do we know he fired a taser? Maybe it was the taser that the police had fired at him that was now obsolete and thus even less of a threat than normal?

Aren't tasers meant to be non lethal, why use lethal force against something that is non lethal, eps when there are two of you there with lethal weapons?

Advertisement