Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Danzy wrote: »
    Doesn't mean that they are expandable. Their lives secondary to the latest social concerns of the bourgeoisie.

I mean it looks like your fundamental belief is that anyone who has a negative interaction with police deserves to die; and it's their own fault for not obeying. In particular if you don't really like that individual; you're perfectly okay with them dying.

Is there any police shooting or interaction you've seen which you find the behaviour of the officers to be in question? Or is it just your default to blindly support the "working class"?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Righty wrote: »
    I'm sorry but have you actually watched the bodycam footage? Clearly shows he is sitting in line for the drive thru, how do you get into a line of a drive thru without driving?

Everyone should be in agreement that the arrest was fully warranted.

ronivek wrote: »
    I mean it looks like your fundamental belief is that anyone who has a negative interaction with police deserves to die; and it's their own fault for not obeying. In particular if you don't really like that individual; you're perfectly okay with them dying.

Is there any police shooting or interaction you've seen which you find the behaviour of the officers to be in question? Or is it just your default to blindly support the "working class"?

I will have to go look in the after hours archives - yeeeears ago an Irish lad with mental health issues was gunned down by police in Oregon. The natives on here had an utter fit, even though the Irish lad was “playing stupid games” people argued he did not deserve his stupid prize because lo and behold they felt empathy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Overheal wrote: »
    Nobody said their lives are expendable. Neither cops life was in danger of being expended when they chose to escalate to deadly force.

I'd disagree a violent man with a taser, trying to shoot them is danger

I'd disagree a violent man with a taser, trying to shoot them is danger

It’s danger it’s not deadly force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It’s danger it’s not deadly force.

If they thought there life was in danger there free to use deadly force
    A violent man trying to taser you is a valid reason to feel like your life is in danger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Everyone should be in agreement that the arrest was fully warranted.

You haven't met lawrencesummers yet, have you?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

RB was such a dumbass, but thats probably drink related.

Grabbing a Taser and firing could incapacitate a cop, Which would enable the criminal to take his gun.

George Floyd didn't deserve to die, but this dude jumped all over the fine line Between life and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

To be fair he could have been getting her nuggets. Nuggets have a cult following in the US.

Nuggets near midnight? hahahaah

NotMOL wrote: »
    Nuggets near midnight? hahahaah

Nuggets allll the time. Wendy’s stays open to 2am in almost urban areas if not later. They got that spicy nugget life with the siracha sauce, and it’s a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Nuggets allll the time. Wendy’s stays open to 2am in almost urban areas if not later. They got that spicy nugget life with the siracha sauce, and it’s a bargain

Spicy nuggets sound delicious...is there anywhere in Ireland that sells them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No, I'd be quite severe on cops in Ireland and America .

This is a clear cut case, he fired a weapon and he is dead.

I got banned from politics ie for pointing out that the killer of Hugh Hehir, being so **** to that man's partner caught up with him.

I'm not uncritical of the police or blindly for them by any means.

When you use weapons m, anything can happen and Brooks lost his exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

No, but the target is so much bigger and the mass will stop the bullet travelling.

Bullet will go through the most of a leg easily.

So you are aiming at a target an Olympic shooter might miss and if you hit, it may have no effect and the bullet might bounce off the tarmac.
    yeah it's best to fire a load of rounds kill the suspect and risk the lives of bystanders, people in their cars and the people in the restaurant, get urself sacked and face a murder charge.
    Cops all round the world will use this as a template for dealing with guys asleep outside a chip shop.

NotMOL wrote: »
    Spicy nuggets sound delicious...is there anywhere in Ireland that sells them?

TFIIK

No, I'd be quite severe on cops in Ireland and America at times.
    Much of the senior force here were and are deeply corrupt. American police are often in power trips and they are militarized in a way no peace time police should be.

I got banned from politics ie for pointing out that the killer of Hugh Hehir, being so **** to that man's partner caught up with him.

When you use weapons , anything can happen. Brooks paid that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fire 3 or 4 times at the upper body and miss do u think the bullet stops?

Much bigger target. Seems these ones didn’t miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No, I'd be quite severe on cops in Ireland and America at times.
    Much of the senior force here were and are deeply corrupt. American police are often in power trips and they are militarized in a way no peace time police should be.

When you use weapons , anything can happen. Brooks paid that price.

Posters keep repeating that he “fired at police” while conveniently omitting that he fired and missed with a non lethal weapon

It’s the same if he had thrown a knife, or a bat, or a rock. Sure that could kill but in reality it doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Posters keep repeating that he “fired at police” while conveniently omitting that he fired and missed with a non lethal weapon

It’s the same if he had thrown a knife, or a bat, or a rock. Sure that could kill but in reality it doesn’t.

Eh no he still had the weapon and it can be used again and again and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

What?

You're saying you're critical of the shooting dead of Hugh Hehir; the IRA terrorist whose gang fired shots from an AK-47 at Gardai during the commission of an armed robbery? But not some guy who failed to successfully use a taser and was running away from police?

He took a shot, they took one back.

He lost.

Pity he didn't drop it and accept the consequences but his choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

vetinari wrote: »
    There are two points that get raised again and again here that are completely bad faith arguments.

1) A taser could have killed or seriously injured the cop. The people arguing this don't really believe this. They probably have no issue with a cop using a taser.

2) The US has far more guns so this police stop is totally different to Ireland. The police in his situation had done a pat down for weapons.
    Brooks might still have had a weapon hidden on him but now within easy reach. The cop who shot him knew it was a taser that was being pointed at him.

Disturbingly there are a lot of people here to view shooting someone as justifiable if they aim a taser at you.

Police are trained in the proper use of tasers. If this guy was just a big cuddly teddy bear of a person, why did he steal the taser in the first place. Would it make him run faster? Did he think it would impart invisibility on him?? He knew exactly what he was up to. He would have taken down the cops given a chance.

...and it can’t. Carried 3 shots.

What?

You're saying you're critical of the shooting dead of Hugh Hehir; the IRA terrorist whose gang fired shots from an AK-47 at Gardai during the commission of an armed robbery? But not some guy who failed to successfully use a taser and was running away from police?

Hugh was a volunteer engaged in an operation, he knew the risks and accepted them.

Brooks knew weapons go both ways as well. Maybe he accepted it but a lot don't.

He lost.

He took one non lethal shot they took three lethal shots

You can’t even stick to the basic facts??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mattdhg wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/DOiKgmCJwls

To be fair, it does look like the police were being reasonable enough until he started to struggle with the arrest. I guess the racism itself might come into play there as we've all been in situations where there was a nod and a wink and you're told to be on your way carefully. They could have handled the arrest a bit smoother all the same, like talking more about it before going to handcuff him.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch the body cam footage, he says he was at his daughters birthday and his girlfriend dropped him back to the parking lot to drive himself home. He says he fell asleep in the car because he wasn't feeling well, and claims to have only drank 1.5 margaritas. He said he could just walk to his sisters house and to forget about the charge etc, but after a breathalyser they go to arrest him...

The cops were called because his car was blocking the drive through at the Wendy's restaurant, the guy was driving drunk and fell asleep while in line to order

He took one non lethal shot they took three lethal shots

You can’t even stick to the basic facts??

They are trained to triple. Whether they took 1 or 7, he set the train in motion.

And it only has a very short range, so it’s easy for the cops to keep their distance and be out of harms way.

He lost.

God forbid anyone points a nerf gun or a water pistol at you someday.

They are trained to triple. Whether they took 1 or 7, he set the train in motion.

They are also trained to only use force when there is an imminent threat to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From watching the clip and how easy he was throwing the cops around it's pretty clearly they hadn't a clue how to subdue him.

Two adult male cops should be able to subdue random drunk guy.

I have seen videos of cops getting training at Gracie BJJ schools on the most efficient/safe way to control and detain an individual, this type of training should be mandatory.

Need to give the cops the training and tools for the job

Advertisement