Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

He was only afraid of going back to jail,not his life being in danger at the start.When they were talking to him calmly,he was trying to talk his way out of getting arrested.When that didn't work,he chose plan b,which was resist,fight,and fire a taser that he stole at the officer.IMO.

That is total bs and lacking any empathy. It's also painfully obvious that you aren't listening to the stories and fears of any black people, particularly in the US. Black parents have conversations with their kids from a young age of how to conduct themselves to try to avoid the worst of the bias and violence. From the topic of shopping to driving to interacting with police. Racism is something they live with every day. The top leaders of the US government admit there is a huge problem with policing and bias and the black community knows this- Intimately. They're having the conversations. They're living with the fear. They're seeing their loved ones impacted in this systemically racist system in a very real way. And now they're contending with the horrible violent videos on their social media feeds of black people like them murdered in cold blood, some in their beds, some are 12 years old with a toy gun, some are selling cd's, some are wearing a hoody and walking home with their candy, some are driving with their families or jogging. ETC ETC ETC. That is the problem.
    He obviously chose plan b when he was going to be arrested, because he fears for his life, legitimately, and he. was. drunk. He didn't deserve to lose his life and become another hashtag. 4 more kids who don't have a dad. Some people need to find some empathy or learn how to develop the empathy they never had. Smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Stateofyou wrote: »
    The actions of an irrational drunk man (being drunk is literally to be irrational) who was rightly scared for his life. Police know how to de-escalate when they want to. They know how to use less lethal force, when they want to. We've seen videos of white mass shooters being calmly arrested, given water to drink and taken to Burger King on their way to jail. The top leaders in their government have admitted police violence, over-reactions and bias are a problem. They're working on reform at the moment.

He wasn't scared for his life he was scared of going back to prison ,
    See how he was calm until the cuff's came out he knew the game was up .

Just because he was drunk is not a disclaimer .

Yes there is police problems no one is saying there is not but in this isolated incident the problem was Rayshards actions ,

Your allowed your own opinion but by the looks of this thread the majority think this is nothing like the Floyd death and was entirely Rayshards fault ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Cruelty != torture

Fcuk me. People have been saying torture this entire time like he hung them upside down in a basement and let rats eat their fingernails or something. Torture implies violence.

The cruelty charge is far more broad than that (and way less sensational). I’d actually want to see a court document detailing the cruelty.

Maybe we have different views on what is acceptable in treating kids.

Thank God for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

That is total bs and lacking any empathy. It's also painfully obvious that you aren't listening to the stories and fears of any black people, particularly in the US. Black parents have conversations with their kids from a young age of how to conduct themselves to try to avoid the worst of the bias and violence. From the topic of shopping to driving to interacting with police. Racism is something they live with every day. The top leaders of the US government admit there is a huge problem with policing and bias and the black community knows this- Intimately. They're having the conversations. They're living with the fear. They're seeing their loved ones impacted in this systemically racist system in a very real way. And now they're contending with the horrible violent videos on their social media feeds of black people like them murdered in cold blood, some in their beds, some are 12 years old with a toy gun, some are selling cd's, some are wearing a hoody and walking home with their candy, some are driving with their families or jogging. ETC ETC ETC. That is the problem.
    He obviously chose plan b when he was going to be arrested, because he fears for his life, legitimately, and he. was. drunk. He didn't deserve to lose his life and become another hashtag. 4 more kids who don't have a dad. Some people need to find some empathy or learn how to develop the empathy they never had. Smh.

We are focusing on just Mr.Brooks here and the events that unfolded.And you are only assuming what or how he was feeling at the time.Which we all know what assuming gets you.

But it is his actions and aggression that paints a better picture.And going by his criminal record,he doesn't seem like much of a positive father figure.IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The bottom line is, you can squabble all you want about how some of you think it was "100% justified" for "that thing" to be "put down" using racist language while you're at it but at the end of the day the police officer who killed him was FIRED by his own department and the other cop put on administrative leave. Turns out it was 100% wrong. I just watched a press release by Republican Senators who have drafted a bill and spoke out directly about the policing problems in the US. They are initiating police reforms and tackling police brutality and bias. Even Trump signed an executive order regarding reforms (though it was also heavily criticised for falling very short on some issues and turned it into a political issue, shocker). But what is clear here is that you have the top leaders of the US on both sides of the isle speaking out about the issues with policing and pledging reforms. Major police depts in the US are already making huge changes.
    So I'm not sure what the point is of bickering here. It was wrong. Cop was fired. The US is lit up right now with police reforms all the way up to the President.

The cop will take his PD to court for unfair dismissal and win. That is guaranteed. Good chance he'll be back on the force.

• Advertisement

What is this rubbish? He failed a sobriety test, this means he was very drunk, a meth head and now not a human but a thing?

You really don't like him eh?

He looked and acted like a meth, saw enough of it in America one year.

No, never had much time for child abusers.

He wasn't scared for his life he was scared of going back to prison ,
    See how he was calm until the cuff's came out he knew the game was up .

Just because he was drunk is not a disclaimer .

Yes there is police problems no one is saying there is not but in this isolated incident the problem was Rayshards actions ,

Your allowed your own opinion but by the looks of this thread the majority think this is nothing like the Floyd death and was entirely Rayshards fault ,

Wrong. Work on your empathy.

You couldn't possibly know that. But what we do know, or rather I know since I have many black friends and I have been LISTENING and EMPATHISING and I lived there - is that the fear of the police is real and devastating.

Police overreach and violence is what is not a disclaimer. Why are you defending police here when even their own dept fired them and the US govt are saying there's a huge issue and it isn't ok. So why are you on the road you're on now.

And as for the Floyd death, head on over to that thread here on boards. Other's just like you are digging into his past, blaming him for resisting, excusing the police officers actions, and bringing up things like black on black crime.

Danzy wrote: »

Post a picture of yourself drunk, and lets judge what you look like.

I've read a lot of drivel in all my years on boards. But this drivel is the most ridiculous drivel i've ever had the misfortune to clap my eyes on. And it's a Wednesday afternoon and the pubs are closed. It's like an overblown satirical take on a bleeding heart. :D:D:D

The cop will take his PD to court for unfair dismissal and win. That is guaranteed. Good chance he'll be back on the force.

They don't have unfair dismissal there, actually. You're taking Irish employment law and applying it to the US. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe we have different views on what is acceptable in treating kids.

Thank God for that.

So at what point is it the death penalty?

Post a picture of yourself drunk, and lets judge what you look like.

I'd look worse but he was more than drunk.

Can you accept that while you may think his death is a travesty, that his kids now have a chance for a safe future. Pity that it came from this but such is life.

I've read a lot of drivel in all my years on boards. But this drivel is the most ridiculous drivel i've ever had the misfortune to clap my eyes on. And it's a Wednesday afternoon and the pubs are closed. It's like an overblown satirical take on a bleeding heart. :D:D:D

And you're the type of person who laughs at the reality of racism and the very real impact that has on other's lives. Not surprised. It is revealing about the type of person you are though. I bet you have no feelings about the English oppression, eh? And you'd have no feelings if they still ruled all our counties and had an actively aggressive and biased police force killing us Irish, right? Bet your views would change then.

So you’re stereotyping.

I'd look worse but you was more than drunk.

Can you accept that while you may think his death is a travesty, that his kids now have a chance for a safe future. Pity that it came from this but such is life.

"You was more than drunk?" You sound drunk already, upload a picture there so we can judge, lol.
    I'd say their mother is best judge of that, and by all public accounts she is devastated, angry and seeking justice on behalf of her and their children. Bye.

I'd look worse but you was more than drunk.

“Safe future?”

You don’t know what the cruelty charge was for. He could have sent them to bed without dinner one night and be charged for that.

The kids future will have 100% chance of being fatherless now, and so the cycle ever repeats.

We are focusing on just Mr.Brooks here and the events that unfolded.And you are only assuming what or how he was feeling at the time.Which we all know what assuming gets you.

But it is his actions and aggression that paints a better picture.And going by his criminal record,he doesn't seem like much of a positive father figure.IMO

His daughter was waiting for her dad in her birthday dress to collect her to go skating but he didn't show - because he was dead. It was her birthday weekend. Going by what his family and colleagues thought of him, which apparently was in high esteem, he was a positive father figure and friend. The as@ here sure isn't me. A little girl lost her father over her 8th birthday, have some respect.

“Safe future?”

You don’t know what the cruelty charge was for. He could have sent them to bed without dinner one night and be charged for that.

The kids future will have 100% chance of being fatherless now, and so the cycle ever repeats.

Had to of been at least physical evidence such as bruises,etc.or a signed affidavit by a witness for it to even hold up in court.And since he was convicted,that means there was something more than sending his kids to bed without dinner.The amount of off the wall digging to justify this man to be a victim is laughable.But sure,he is a victim of his own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

His daughter was waiting for her dad in her birthday dress to collect her to go skating but he didn't show - because he was dead. It was her birthday weekend. Going by what his family and colleagues thought of him, which apparently was in high esteem, he was a positive father figure and friend. The as@ here sure isn't me. A little girl lost her father over her 8th birthday, have some respect.

So the drunk guy was going to collect his daugther to go skating? sounds like the cops prevented a drunk driver from possibly killing her and others.

How many times have you seen interviews of family and colleagues go on tv and talk about what a scumbag the person was?

• Advertisement

Had to of been at least physical evidence such as bruises,etc.or a signed affidavit by a witness for it to even hold up in court.And since he was convicted,that means there was something more than sending his kids to bed without dinner.The amount of off the wall digging to justify this man to be a victim is laughable.But sure,he is a victim of his own actions.

Let’s put this in more context. I’ve been bruised and belted. I’ve been sent to bed without dinner. I experienced child cruelty. I would not have turned up better for it if my father was placed in prison. Nothing he did rose to the death penalty.

soups05 wrote: »
    So the drunk guy was going to collect his daugther to go skating? sounds like the cops prevented a drunk driver from possibly killing her and others.

Hmm.... the amount of pubs I have attended whilst at a child's communion (wait, it's supposed to be about their relationship with Jesus!!) and the tipsiness occurring there by parents, grandparents and friends... but shame on them the plans they surely had the following day! Jaysus us Irish have a lot of answering to do here.

He wouldn't have still been drunk the next day though, obviously. Seems it takes a while for news to travel that 3 children have lost their father.

And you're the type of person who laughs at the reality of racism and the very real impact that has on other's lives. Not surprised. It is revealing about the type of person you are though. I bet you have no feelings about the English oppression, eh? And you'd have no feelings if they still ruled all our counties and had an actively aggressive and biased police force killing us Irish, right? Bet your views would change then.

What the actual fcuk has racism got to do with this?? Anyone, black, white, asian or martian would have deserved the exact same outcome as Brooks got, if they had done the same thing.

How many times have you seen interviews of family and colleagues go on tv and talk about what a scumbag the person was?

Uhhh, many talk about their toxic family publicly? Awkward....:pac:

Let’s put this in more context. I’ve been bruised and belted. I’ve been sent to bed without dinner. I experienced child cruelty. I would not have turned up better for it if my father was placed in prison. Nothing he did rose to the death penalty.

That charge wasn't why he was shot though.He served his time on that charge.So stop twisting things you'll give yourself a headache trying to keep up with it all.

Uhhh, many talk about their toxic family publicly? Awkward....:pac:

Of course not,instead lets focus on what a fine upstanding person he was..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Hmm.... the amount of pubs I have attended whilst at a child's communion (wait, it's supposed to be about their relationship with Jesus!!) and the tipsiness occurring there by parents, grandparents and friends... but shame on them the plans they surely had the following day! Jaysus us Irish have a lot of answering to do here.

He wouldn't have still been drunk the next day though, obviously. Seems it takes a while for news to travel that 3 children have lost their father.

Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding. You stated that the girl was in her dress waiting on her dad. Not that it was the plans for the next day.It appeared as though he was about to drive home, collect the girl, then drive to somewhere else while drunk ( not tipsy but flat out can't stay awake in drive though drunk).

Speaking of that I ran out of the house one night to avoid an imminent belting because I was struggling with my math homework (**** you not). I fled into the city of Gainesville for about 2-3 hours, yet somehow police never asked me about it, when I eventually came home. I was 11. But you’d think when I got home officers would have liked to interview me or search the house or file some kind of report or inspect me for bodily harm. Nope. Too white and white collar to harass I guess. No social worker ever followed up. They just took his word because he called in a missing child. I couldn’t imagine being black in America and not have all of that happen.

What the actual fcuk has racism got to do with this?? Anyone, black, white, asian or martian would have deserved the exact same outcome as Brooks got, if they had done the same thing.

Wtf has racism got to do with this? You must be joking. This is an American man to start with, living in the US. In a country which for 400 years saw black people as slaves, then introduced Jim Crow laws, segregation, redlining, discriminatory policing and brutality which the highest level of government admits to including the president and you ask wtf racism has to do with it? Maybe don't comment on posts to do with issues in a foreign country if you lack the willingness to understand what is actually happening there. I know its easy to have an opinion on everything American since their culture and news is consumed everywhere, but at least first try and consume some more information pertaining to policing and systemic racism in the US.

Turns out he didn't deserve what he got, as the cops were fired and the US government and President are speaking out about police reform and actively working on that as we speak.

• Advertisement

That charge wasn't why he was shot though.He served his time on that charge.So stop twisting things you'll give yourself a headache trying to keep up with it all.

In response to a narrative on the thread that, if they didn’t shoot him in the back he would have gone home to torture his child.

Advertisement