Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I didn't know about this one until I saw it here on the boards.

This is just bizarre.

no I didn't watch it all - but it is 40 of two ordinary pleasant guys who happen to be police talking talking with an annoying but equally pleasant man not able admit to that he was too drunk to drive but decent enough to not actually drive.

How the hell did somebody get shot?

Why did he struggle? He can't get away because they know who he is already?

Why did they tase him - let alone shoot him? They know who he is? Just pick him up later?

I've witnessed Garda in similar situations a few of times dealing with drunks and unreasonable people. Nobody dies.

I thought those cameras where meant to not fall off so easy Did they release the footage from the other camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Overheal wrote: »
    Brooks was fleeing, not charging.

So during his fleeing,when was the part he turned and fired the taser?Or did you miss that part?That proves intent to cause bodily harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stateofyou wrote: »
    There are people who have climbed the White House fence and even made it inside the front doors. They are still alive.
    Next.

I never mentioned the White House fence or front door. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try to keep up.

I am. He was fleeing.

So during his fleeing,when was the part he turned and fired the taser?Or did you miss that part?That proves intent to cause bodily harm.

So there is another video?

• Advertisement

Is it a death sentence in a court of law. No. And he did so while fleeing. And he missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I am. He was fleeing.

Doesn't matter which way he was running.

He fires back.

He could have had his back to them the whole time

I am. He was fleeing.

Here’s a clue. Read the post I was responding to. It helps.

Is it a death sentence in a court of law. No.

No but it wasn't a court of law.

Danzy wrote: »
    No but it wasn't a court of law.

Then why the Judge, Jury, and Executioner?

We have Police officers on the street, not Judges.

• Advertisement

Here’s a clue. Read the post I was responding to. It helps.

The post you were responding to was my own. As was literally dozens of posts in this chain of quotes and replies, so you weren't addressing anybody else. Are you okay?

Is it a death sentence in a court of law. No. And he did so while fleeing. And he missed.

So cops should only shoot if the criminal has already committed murder, genocide, treason or espionage?? Those are the only crimes that carry a death sentence on a court of law in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rayshard didn't have a gun. Neither did all the other black lives who were innocently taken by police violence. What bullets would they be taking? It's their perceived fear from their bias - and that's their own issue that needs to be corrected.

He had a taser gun which he fired at Police.

The post you were responding to was my own. As was literally dozens of posts in this chain of quotes and replies, so you weren't addressing anybody else. Are you okay?

You said “If the actions aren't a death sentence, deadly force should not be authorized.“

I countered with “try charging at the President with a taser.”

“He was fleeing” isn’t a response that makes sense to my reply.

So there is another video?

Just the one we all saw on TV.

The dash cam and the security camera footage add a whole dimension to the story.

Everything was pleasant until the struggle and then Brooks overpowered two fully grown men and stole a weapon.

I'm not an American cop, or a Garda, so I cannot comment on whether it was necessary for Rolfe to either pull his gun or shoot the man but thee is no innocent victim here.

So cops should only shoot if the criminal has already committed murder, genocide, treason or espionage?? Those are the only crimes that carry a death sentence on a court of law in the US.

There is a lower standard for violence against police officers that applies if the perp is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise.

Meting out of a punishment in excess of the crime by a LEO doesn't sit right with me at all. If people really want it to be okay for cops to shoot people dead for exhibiting less than deadly force or even the threat of less than deadly force, then, make it the law, make it punishable by death before a court of law. Anything else is extrajudicial.

You said “If the actions aren't a death sentence, deadly force should not be authorized.“

Well charging a POTUS with a taser is a whole other hill of beans. An absurd whataboutism. I called you out because your whataboutisms centered on charging in to assault, even though the clear circumstance here was fleeing.

The dash cam and the security camera footage add a whole dimension to the story.

Everything was pleasant until the struggle and then Brooks overpowered two fully grown men and stole a weapon.

I'm not an American cop, or a Garda, so I cannot comment on whether it was necessary for Rolfe to either pull his gun or shoot the man but thee is no innocent victim here.

Definitely not innocent, I just don't think extrajudicial capital punishment was the right call here.

Just the one we all saw on TV.

There are three videos.

Cop Number 2's body cam that ends up on the ground.

The patrol car's dashcam.

The Wendy's (I think) security camera.

I assume Rolffe's cam cannot be released as it is evidence against him or something.

• Advertisement

He was on temporary release from prison due to covid 19 and was in breach of bail. When he realised the police were going to arrest him for DUI after he tried to soft talk them he knew he was going back to jail. He decided to cut loose and resist arrest. He stole a police weapon in the struggle / assault on police and fired it at a cop. He died as a result of being shot for doing this. He was a silly man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

You're talking about intent when 1. he didn't hit anyone and he was fleeting so it was a deterrent, 2. He was shot in.the.back. What bodily harm are you going to cause while fleeing with a spent taser and the two officers have guns?

IMO your just pulling radical ideas out of your ass to bolster your agenda.There is no educating you on real world police matters so I won't bother responding you from here on out.

But I have to say as an American,with 32 years in LE.You need to cop on if you also are American. the risks and dangers LE face every day to protect you.Yes there are bad cops,as there are bad Doctors,Lawyers,etc.

In my opinion, yes Floyd's case was murder,you can tell from the officer's body language and eventual history they had.But with Brooks,he escalated it to the point it didn't need to be.

Yes I know he was intoxicated but not to the point he didn't know what he was doing.It' tragic when anyone loses their life over something so avoidable.But the truth is,it wouldn't have gone to that point without him taking it there.

So you have to acknowledge that Brooks was part of the problem.IMO

And there we are, folks.

Yep, no bullets. And he was drunk. And fleeing. And he missed. And they still had another taser. They had his home address. They had his work details. Not good enough. It obviously wasn't good enough for his bosses either seeing as he was FIRED.

He was on temporary release from prison due to covid 19 and was in breach of bail. When he realised the police were going to arrest him for DUI after he tried to soft talk them he knew he was going back to jail. He decided to cut loose and resist arrest. He stole a police weapon in the struggle / assault on police and fired it at a cop. He died as a result of being shot for doing this. He was a silly man.

Nope. He realised that he could most likely die in the course of police response and custody as so many others had.
    He was a drunk man. In legitimate fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

At the end of the day you are expected to collaborate with the Police, that guy wrestling with the cops then running away like that? sorry but, he went for it

You're talking about intent when 1. he didn't hit anyone and he was fleeting so it was a deterrent, 2. He was shot in.the.back. What bodily harm are you going to cause while fleeing with a spent taser and the two officers have guns?

No Judge will view a child abuser meth heads inability to aim effectively as an excuse. It's not an excuse for anyone.

He tried and that's all we can ask of anyone.

The officer then got to respond and he was able to prevent the child abuser meth head from having a 2nd chance.

He didn't charge the President though. Take your whataboutism somewhere else.

Nope. He realised that he could most likely die in the course of police response and custody as so many others had.

Either afraid of the cops killing him, or covid, or of the prison gangs

• Advertisement

Or he knew he was back to jail.

Advertisement