Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Who cares what some Irish bloke believes? The US police department who employed him are the authorities here and they have never unjustly dismissed an employee.

Ever.

Hhhahahahaha are you going to make it this easy for me? Yeah they are the authorities here who employed them, and they dismissed them. So according to you it isn't unjust.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You are right. My transposing of the word torture instead of cruelty changes everything that happend on the night Brooks was shot. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It has to do with you methodically smearing his memory by exaggerating the severity of his crimes.

Sure, have I once mentioned the officer's record?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Many a drunk civilian acts the maggot against police. As many public civilian/police videos show when it's white people interacting with the police. I in fact posted a video from last year of a white man resisting arrest from 2 officers, stole a baton, beat them both with it and stole their police vehicle. No shots fired. There's another one where the white dude disobeys orders to lie down and gets up and CHASES the cop off, then gets in his car, rams the cop car, and no shots fired. Mass white shooters in the US, who are calmly apprehended and given water to drink and taken through a fast food drive through on the way to jail. Ad nauseam. It's such a problem with obvious bias that the US government and President have acknowledged it as well as major city police depts and they are reforming those depts.

Anecdotes.

If you want i can post the video of the white guy handcuffed and killed by the cops in the same way as Floyd, suffocated and put on an ambulance when already dead while cops are laughing.

I didn't see social warriors rioting when that video leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ah great, so you understand that when adrenaline hits that it would have been very difficult for Rayshard to hit a cop with a taser (and indeed he missed) in the face of adrenaline, the fact he was drunk, and also running away. Cops are trained, the average civilian is not.

Difficult to hit a cop with the taser, probably. Impossible to hit a cop with the taser, certainly not.

The fact is that the Brooks did indeed fire at the cop after assaulting the cop a few moments earlier. That's justification in my book for the cop defending himself.

Would I prefer Brooks to have been injured and not killed, yes. But these things happen when you play stupid games.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Anecdotes.

If you want i can post the video of the white guy handcuffed and killed by the cops in the same way as Floyd, suffocated and put on an ambulance when already dead while cops are laughing.

Which guy are we talking about

• Advertisement

Can you back this up? Where has US President acknowledged Inherent racism in US policing??

hahahahahaha you might want to look into the recent events. He has just signed an executive order to address police reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's your narrative, not mine.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I'm not the one conflating child cruelty as torture.

This has to be a thread record statement.

Sure you get 7 years nowadays in America for not giving them an Xbox.

Ah great, so you understand that when adrenaline hits that it would have been very difficult for Rayshard to hit a cop with a taser (and indeed he missed) in the face of adrenaline, the fact he was drunk, and also running away. Cops are trained, the average civilian is not.

By the way, the cops aren't particularly well trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Are you a person of colour? Don't speak for them if you're not. ACTUAL people of colour have spoken for him including his family, friends, the BLM movement and their allies. The police dept the killer cop worked for also fired him. And the US government and President acknowledged major issues in the US police form and have started to implement massive reform.

Don't speak for people or a country that you're not a part of. Take a seat.

Actual people of colour have spoken out against him as well. These actual people of colour were honest enough to point out how 60 black people were shot (by black people) in Chicago on the weekend of Floyd memorial. 13 of those shot died.

One black man remarked " if the police had'nt killed Floyd, we would have"
    Where is all your excitement about these murders ?

The police officer involved in the recent shooting was "fired" to stop Idiots looting and burning down businesses - ie the lesser of two evils

Perhaps you're the one should take the seat .. its ok to have an ol rant .. but we don't want you losin the run of yourself .. its embarrassing. Whatever colour you are

I'm not a police apologist. If the cops do something wrong, I'm not fine with that.

The cops in the George Floyd case did wrong. Send them to jail. I've no problem with that. I just don't see the Brooks incident being remotely in the same sphere.

Hold tight on the decision of the police force to fire him as that was a politically motivated stunt. Time will tell if that was the correct decision or not.

You say the president acknowledges problems with the police force. That may be so. Nobody here has said there are no problems in the police force over there. There clearly are problems. But in this case, I do think the shooting was justified due to Brooks posing a danger to the police.

We disagree on this, but hey ho, that's the beauty of opinions.

The police dept who employed him fired him. So therefore the shooting was not justified. He now faces a FELONY MURDER CHARGE. Or didn't you know?
    The beauty of opinions? Yeah, that's all this is? Some dude on an Irish Internet forum who's not involved with the US, the US police dept or the US government. But clearly feels entitled to say the cops were justified in shooting Rayshard without any qualifications or relevance. Ok.

• Advertisement

There's no dead horse here, mate. The cop was fired so he was wrong and his actions indefensible. The black community and their allies are actually speaking out against this. Post your proof that it's to the contrary that his family, friends, colleagues, BLM movement, the US Government and the US President and the killer cop's own police department are not in fact standing against the cop and police bias/brutality. Ive been waiting for a lot of proof now and no one seems to have any. Very telling. The only thing alive here is bias, prejudice and keyboard warriors.

you are waiting for proof of what?
    All the people and entities you listed above can't make that guy's behavior right. He acted like a criminal and got shot. If he was that good a father he would still be alive

People need to take accountability for their actions before excepting others to do the same

The police dept who employed him fired him. So therefore the shooting was not justified. He now faces a FELONY MURDER CHARGE. Or didn't you know?

I actually hope the cop gets reinstated, he is the real victim of bias here

hahahahahaha you might want to look into the recent events. He has just signed an executive order to address police reform.

Well this is awkward

https://apnews.com/77871ed6e38c0416a67f03345a0a853e/Trump-signs-executive-order-on-police-reform

john123470 wrote: »
    Actual people of colour have spoken out against him as well. These actual people of colour were honest enough to point out how 60 black people were shot (by black people) in Chicago on the weekend of Floyd memorial. 13 of those shot died.

One black man remarked " if the police had'nt killed Floyd, we would have"
    Where is all your excitement about these murders ?

The police officer involved in the recent shooting was "fired" to stop Idiots looting and burning down businesses - ie the lesser of two evils

Perhaps you're the one should take the seat .. its ok to have an ol rant .. but we don't want you losin the run of yourself .. its embarrassing. Whatever colour you are

One black man remarked - against an entire movement for BLM against police brutality in all 50 States as well as a WORLDWIDE movement, current gov't leadership and US President action for police reform? Yeah, I guess that one black man's remark is really telling us all. :pac:

Many a drunk civilian acts the maggot against police. As many public civilian/police videos show when it's white people interacting with the police. I in fact posted a video from last year of a white man resisting arrest from 2 officers, stole a baton, beat them both with it and stole their police vehicle. No shots fired. There's another one where the white dude disobeys orders to lie down and gets up and CHASES the cop off, then gets in his car, rams the cop car, and no shots fired. Mass white shooters in the US, who are calmly apprehended and given water to drink and taken through a fast food drive through on the way to jail. Ad nauseam. It's such a problem with obvious bias that the US government and President have acknowledged it as well as major city police depts and they are reforming those depts.

Again you are an apologist for Brooks' behaviour.

Brooks was wrong to behave the way he did.

Yes, other criminals didn't end up dead as a result of their actions, but many did.

Yes there is bias in US police forces but this isn't one of those instances.

Danzy wrote: »
    This has to be a thread record statement.

Sure you get 7 years nowadays in America for not giving them an Xbox.

2010 Georgia Code
    TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 5 - CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON
    ARTICLE 5 - CRUELTY TO CHILDREN
    § 16-5-70 - Cruelty to children
    O.C.G.A. 16-5-70 (2010)
    16-5-70. Cruelty to children

(a) A parent, guardian, or other person supervising the welfare of or having immediate charge or custody of a child under the age of 18 commits the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree when such person willfully deprives the child of necessary sustenance to the extent that the child's health or well-being is jeopardized.

(b) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree when such person maliciously causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

(c) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree when such person with criminal negligence causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

(d) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the third degree when:

(1) Such person, who is the primary aggressor, intentionally allows a child under the age of 18 to witness the commission of a forcible felony, battery, or family violence battery; or

(2) Such person, who is the primary aggressor, having knowledge that a child under the age of 18 is present and sees or hears the act, commits a forcible felony, battery, or family violence battery.
    (e)(1) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree as provided in this Code section shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

(3) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the third degree shall be punished as for a misdemeanor upon the first or second conviction. Upon conviction of a third or subsequent offense of cruelty to children in the third degree, the defendant shall be guilty of a felony and shall be sentenced to a fine not less than $1,000.00 nor more than $5,000.00 or imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than three years or shall be sentenced to both fine and imprisonment.

Torture under US law is ever only:

torture
    (1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;

So your conflation (and others) of cruelty to torture is out of bounds.

https://www.justice.gov/file/18791/download (page 3)

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Anecdotes.

Maybe they should. The element you're missing here though is proportionality. The RATE at which black people are targeted, arrested, sentenced and killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That is a joke?

Right?

No. Looks like Tyler Perry is paying.

Again you are an apologist for Brooks' behaviour.

Brooks was wrong to behave the way he did.

Yes, other criminals didn't end up dead as a result of their actions, but many did.

Yes there is bias in US police forces but this isn't one of those instances.

But he wasn't wrong. The cop was wrong. He was fired, and charged with a FELONY murder charge.

State of You.

Fine you may think it was excessive but can you not see any positive for his family or the wider community in Atlanta.

Every cloud and all that?

• Advertisement

You said he acknowledged bias based on skin colour. Could you link it please?

Danzy wrote: »
    State of You.

Fine you may think it was excessive but can you not see any positive for his family or the wider community in Atlanta.

Every cloud and all that?

Well yeah we have one less hot head cop on the street tonight.

The beauty of opinions? Yeah, that's all this is? Some dude on an Irish Internet forum who's not involved with the US, the US police dept or the US government. But clearly feels entitled to say the cops were justified in shooting Rayshard without any qualifications or relevance. Ok.

Innocent, until proven guilty.

Innocent, until proven guilty.

Well yeah we have one less hot head cop on the street tonight.

That's the spirit.

Brooks family now safe.
    Atlanta residents safer.
    Hot head Cop off the street.

There is always some commonality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

What the actual fcuk has racism got to do with this?? Anyone, black, white, asian or martian would have deserved the exact same outcome as Brooks got, if they had done the same thing.

Depends on the type of Martian.

J'onn Jonzz would have been very philosophical about it all and admitted to the police he was drunk and accepted the consequences.

The HG Wells kind would have died as soon as the police had him exist his vehicle. Of the SJWs here would blame that on "police brutality"... :rolleyes:

It has to do with you methodically smearing his memory by exaggerating the severity of his crimes.

Sure, have I once mentioned the officer's record?

To be fair, I don't have to work too hard to smear the memory of Brooks. He has a very dodgy past.

Check out his rap sheet in the link below.

https://tbdailynews.com/media-portrays-rayshard-brooks-as-loving-father-despite-criminal-charges-of-cruelty-to-children-battery-on-family-member-false-imprisonment/

And by the way, that rap sheet has nothing to do with why he was killed. He was killed pure and simple because of his actions on the night he decided to drunk drive, resist arrest, assault two police officers, steal a police issue taser and fire it at a cop forcing the cop to defend himself with lethal consequences.

Maybe they should. The element you're missing here though is proportionality. The RATE at which black people are targeted, arrested, sentenced and killed.

I think you have already been answered in this thread with regards to proportions. Apparently stats are telling a different story

But he wasn't wrong. The cop was wrong. He was fired, and charged with a FELONY murder charge.

Brooke wasn't wrong? oh that's interesting now, can you elaborate more?

• Advertisement

I just read here now that the police officer has been charged. I'm still holding to my belief that the Brooks shooting was justified. I may be proved wrong but time will tell.

Can I ask a question please? Are you involved with the US police department. Because if I am some dude on an Irish internet forum who is not involved with the US, the US police department or the US government, I'm assuming you are seeing as you are equally forthcoming with your opinion that the shooting was unjustified.

Can you clarify that for me please? Why is it ok for you to have an opinion but I can't have an opinion just because it differs from your one?

Advertisement