Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The State of you Stateofyou.

NIMAN wrote: »
    He could face the death penalty.

I know he probably will be acquitted, but imagine that, a police officer put to death.

Be some uproar then!

He has zero chance of conviction.

He was fired on and he returned fire.

Lots of rich kid righteousness and paternalism and looking for a cause du jour can't change that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Some father he was.... Do you actually read what you spout.

He was the one the only one that instigated the exact situation that ended up costing him his life.

Model citizen.

According to his wife of 8 years he was an amazing father. He's not perfect, and newsflash, neither are you or anyone else. He didn't deserve to lose his life. The PD he works for, the attorney general and the US government who are right now working on massive policing reforms - all agree. So the Irish boards forum can relax now. :pac:

Stateofyou wrote: »
    According to his wife of 8 years he was an amazing father. He's not perfect, and newsflash, neither are you or anyone else. He didn't deserve to lose his life. The PD he works for, the attorney general and the US government who are right now working on massive policing reforms - all agree. So the Irish boards forum can relax now. :pac:

Oh well that settles it.

His ex wife spoke well of the dead.

The battle now changes to having the convictions quashed and all the social workers police and prosecutors arrested for fabricating evidence.

Danzy wrote: »

Lots of rich kid righteousness and paternalism and looking for a cause du jour can't change that.

He wasn't fired on in the same way that fire was returned. You use the words "fired on" as if it's like for like. Taser vs automatic gun.
    Also he was drunk, running away and shot in the back. It has been found that he actually wasn't a threat at the time he was shot - in. the. back. But you're not being self-righteous in your conclusion that you know better than the law and government officials in the US who are holding him accountable, pressing charges, and making police reforms? Ok then.
    There's obviously an acknowledged problem with policing in their country, going all the way up to the US President who signed an executive order.

• Advertisement

Oh well that settles it.

His ex wife spoke well of the dead.

The battle now changes to having the convictions quashed and all the social workers police and prosecutors arrested for fabricating evidence.

And so did his other family, friends and his colleagues. Like, everyone who actually knew him, as opposed to YOU a complete internet stranger in Ireland. :pac:

Sorry, who's fabricating what evidence?

Someone being drunk and especially high, as he was, can protect against pain and give immense strength.

We saw in Roscommon what happens when a weapon is lost.

I cannot believe people are still arguing against the cop when we are dealing a dead Garda this morning shot with his own weapon after it was taken from him in what started as a drunken fight

Someone being drunk and especially high, as he was, can protect against pain and give immense strength.

We saw in Roscommon what happens when a weapon is lost.

There is no comparison. The US case involved TWO officers for one, a taser was obtained and he was in the process of running away when he was shot in the back. And innocent bystanders put in danger by firing his gun. Obviously, the officer was wrong in his actions as he was fired and now faces 11 charges including murder. They could have handled this very differently early on. Apparently their bosses, the DA and the US Government agree that the policing in the US need reforming.

I cannot believe people are still arguing against the cop when we are dealing a dead Garda this morning shot with his own weapon after it was taken from him in what started as a drunken fight

I can't believe we are still arguing over this when we have many, many examples
    (in the US, the actual country this went down) as comparators when white people take weapons and beat them with it, disobey orders, resist arrest, mass murder other citizens, and no shots are fired, arrests are calmly made, and food and water are given. One mass murderer was even given a Burger King meal on the way to jail

I can't believe we're still arguing over this when the cop was fired.
    The man was running away.
    He was shot in the back.
    Cop was fired by his own PD.
    He's now been charged with murder and endangering bystanders.

• Advertisement

And so did his other family, friends and his colleagues. Like, everyone who actually knew him, as opposed to YOU a complete internet stranger in Ireland. :pac:

Sorry, who's fabricating what evidence?

He list of convictions and their nature shows what type of individual he was.

There is no comparison. The US case involved TWO officers for one, a taser was obtained and he was in the process of running away when he was shot in the back. And innocent bystanders put in danger by firing his gun. Obviously, the officer was wrong in his actions as he was fired and now faces 11 charges including murder. They could have handled this very differently early on. Apparently their bosses, the DA and the US Government agree that the policing in the US need reforming.

The weapon is all that matters, which way he was going is irrelevant.

His finger was on the trigger, not a foot.

The weapon is all that matters, which way he was going is irrelevant.

His finger was on the trigger, not a foot.

Apparently, it's only irrelevant to you.

Cop is fired. Facing murder charges, endangering the public, and 9 other charges.
    US Government/President are actively working on police reforms.

The bit of religion can be a good thing but when it moves to a more fundamental position, it's overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So BLM are lots of rich kids. What nonsense.

Edit, Also anyone using the tragedy the Roscommon as point scoring here is degrading the memory of the Guard in question.
    You don't know how he felt about the American shooting.

The two situations are totally different and not comparable.

joe40 wrote: »
    So BLM are lots of rich kids. What nonsense.

Not all of them, but it's certainly loaded that way.

That's more to do with the left today being so middle class dominated in membership and outlook.

That's more to do with the left today being so middle class dominated in membership and outlook.

Is this based on anything other than bias?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Can you really not believe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Most of the BLM are rich kids.... Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Apparently, it's only irrelevant to you.

Cop is fired. Facing murder charges, endangering the public, and 9 other charges.
    US Government/President are actively working on police reforms.

Its irrelevant to me too.

I know he has been charged but that doesn't mean that the cop is guilty. We'll see how the charges progress.

My personal belief is that the charges are politically motivated and the officer will be cleared or the charges will be dropped.

What would your opinion of the shooting be if the charges were dropped or if the cop was found not guilty? Would you change your mind in that case?

• Advertisement

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the body tasked with investigating the merit of a case and referring it to trial/charges said they have not completed an investigation and were not aware the DA was pressing charges or why, given that they are still looking in to it.

Due process how are you.

I understand the DAs approach,he has a need now, not much good if he is defeated or the corruption probe advances.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Its irrelevant to me too.

I know he has been charged but that doesn't mean that the cop is guilty. We'll see how the charges progress.

My personal belief is that the charges are politically motivated and the officer will be cleared or the charges will be dropped.

What would your opinion of the shooting be if the charges were dropped or if the cop was found not guilty? Would you change your mind in that case?

Personal belief... yeah, I can tell.

Well I know something about systemic racism in the US within their police force. I know that DA's, police unions and police chief's are rife with racism and bias. There have been protests against policing in the US for many decades, and that one of the reasons for this is the system was designed to protect those bad actors and bad cops and they usually get away without even being charged. It's very rare for an officer to be fired, charged and even rarer to be convicted. The onset of more invasive technology has broken this reality wide open into the greater public consciousness - that is why this time is now seeing the biggest protests. This is the largest Civil Rights movement in history, and the leaders/US Government are now being forced to address the problems with policing. Major city PD's such as NY, SF, Minneapolis and LA are already starting to make huge never seen before changes. I guess what I'm saying is that considering the way the system normally operates I wouldn't be surprised if he was found not guilty, but I hope that change is going to be real this time around. That the over-use of force and disproportionate target and violence against Black people is going to change and accountability will be had. We will see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

When did you realize that American cops are just low IQ thugs?

abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

nytimes.com/1970/07/23/archives/police-recruits-here-average-9820-in-iq-tests-lowest-in-years.html

slate.com/business/2013/05/too-smart-to-be-a-cop.html

They dont want smart, self aware people to do these jobs.

The man deserves to be charged with murder. You shoot a man in the back, you're a murderer. No amount of mental gymnastics will change this.

In what sane situation will a man sleep in a parking lot and end up shot dead by cops? There is no de-escalation tactics, its just morons going in thinking theyre Rambo. There should be a mandatory 4 year college-like course for police. The three month police academy training is nowhere near enough. Cops dont need to be defunded - they need to have more money for training and education. Nurses go through this. Important public service jobs should have strenuous training.

They need accountability, and much harsher sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This cop is being railroad.

He didnt murder anyone.

George Floyd was murdered.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the body tasked with investigating the merit of a case and referring it to trial/charges said they have not completed an investigation and were not aware the DA was pressing charges or why, given that they are still looking in to it.

Due process how are you.

I understand the DAs approach,he has a need now, not much good if he is defeated or the corruption probe advances.

It is literally the job of the DA to decide to bring charges and why. That's why that position is an elected position, that's why protesters have targeted this role for years in bringing awareness about how important all elections are, not just presidential every 4 years. To get people to look into who their DA's are and what their records are as they would when they vote for Senators/Presidents.

Personal belief... yeah, I can tell.

Well I know something about systemic racism in the US within their police force. I know that DA's, police unions and police chief's are rife with racism and bias. There have been protests against policing in the US for many decades, and that one of the reasons for this is the system was designed to protect those bad actors and bad cops and they usually get away without even being charged. It's very rare for an officer to be fired, charged and even rarer to be convicted. The onset of more invasive technology has broken this reality wide open into the greater public consciousness - that is why this time is now seeing the biggest protests. This is the largest Civil Rights movement in history, and the leaders/US Government are now being forced to address the problems with policing. Major city PD's such as NY, SF, Minneapolis and LA are already starting to make huge never seen before changes. I guess what I'm saying is that considering the way the system normally operates I wouldn't be surprised if he was found not guilty, but I hope that change is going to be real this time around. That the over-use of force and disproportionate target and violence against Black people is going to change and accountability will be had. We will see.

decades? Try centuries.

I find it funny how people forgot about the time LAPD kidnapped a child and forced him to act as a woman's child to coverup kidnappings in California. Then when the mother told the media about it, the LAPD put her in a mental hospital under a "Code 12" internment — a term used to jail or commit someone who was deemed difficult or an inconvenience.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Collins

American cops are a blight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

nofiller69 wrote: »

nytimes.com/1970/07/23/archives/police-recruits-here-average-9820-in-iq-tests-lowest-in-years.html

The man deserves to be charged with murder. You shoot a man in the back, you're a murderer. No amount of mental gymnastics will change this.

In what sane situation will a man sleep in a parking lot and end up shot dead by cops? There is no de-escalation tactics, its just morons going in thinking theyre Rambo. There should be a mandatory 4 year college-like course for police. The three month police academy training is nowhere near enough. Cops dont need to be defunded - they need to have more money for training and education. Nurses go through this. Important public service jobs should have strenuous training.

You're purposefully misstating the facts to suit your own agenda.

The dead man wasnt asleep in a parking lot.
    He was so drunk he fell asleep in a drive thru queue.
    He fought with police, and fired a weapon at them.
    Tasers are considered less than lethal, but are still controlled weapons.

He was violent, drunk, and stupid.
    He has only himself to blame.

nofiller69 wrote: »

I agree. The defunding angle really is poor wording I think. The police have absolutely massive resources funnelled away from the city coffers in order to fund their army-like presence that is the reality of many police forces there today. Meanwhile things like education, healthcare, community services, infrastructure are under-funded. When you invest in communities, it has a directly positive effect on society. In my opinion some of the money they receive should be allocated towards a more robust training period to include regular anti-bias training.

It is literally the job of the DA to decide to bring charges and why. That's why that position is an elected position, that's why protesters have targeted this role for years in bringing awareness about how important all elections are, not just presidential every 4 years. To get people to look into who their DA's are and what their records are as they would when they vote for Senators/Presidents.

Did the DA do all the lab work himself, the autopsy himself, examine and interview all recordings and witnesses etc etc.

No, the GIB does that and they are still doing so and have given the DA nothing, it's ongoing.

The DA said one of the officers was turning State Witness, his lawyer pointed out no one from the state have even met them and he has no intention of doing so.

The DA is not doing his job like he normally does.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You're purposefully misstating the facts to suit your own agenda.

The dead man wasnt asleep in a parking lot.
    He was so drunk he fell asleep in a drive thru queue.
    He fought with police, and fired a weapon at them.
    Tasers are considered less than lethal, but are still controlled weapons.

He was violent, drunk, and stupid.
    He has only himself to blame.

What kind of broken and sick society do you have that you end up dead for falling asleep in a drive through?

American police are low IQ rent-a-thugs. They wont hire smart people. This is a fact.

Now tell me if what transpired in that video are smart men making smart decisions, or morons unable to de-escalate one half asleep drunk guy.

Can you imagine the Garda shooting every drunk man they encounter in Ireland?

Or is it just you're contrarianism unable to see how sick and twisted this whole situation is?

Advertisement