Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

The guard who was killed last night had his gun stolen and then scumbag then shot him, this is why police can not take chances. Brooks could've easily doing the same to the cops i

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1148139/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Personal belief... yeah, I can tell.

Well I know something about systemic racism in the US within their police force. I know that DA's, police unions and police chief's are rife with racism and bias. There have been protests against policing in the US for many decades, and that one of the reasons for this is the system was designed to protect those bad actors and bad cops and they usually get away without even being charged. It's very rare for an officer to be fired, charged and even rarer to be convicted. The onset of more invasive technology has broken this reality wide open into the greater public consciousness - that is why this time is now seeing the biggest protests. This is the largest Civil Rights movement in history, and the leaders/US Government are now being forced to address the problems with policing. Major city PD's such as NY, SF, Minneapolis and LA are already starting to make huge never seen before changes. I guess what I'm saying is that considering the way the system normally operates I wouldn't be surprised if he was found not guilty, but I hope that change is going to be real this time around. That the over-use of force and disproportionate target and violence against Black people is going to change and accountability will be had. We will see.

You see what happend to Brooks as a result of him being black. You have no proof whatsoever that the cops shot him because he was black.

I see what happened to Brooks as a result of what he did on the night he was shot. The DUI, the resisting arrest, the assault of two cops, the stealing of a police issue taser, the attempting to shoot a cop with said taser. That's why I think he was shot.

But obviously being black negates all the bad stuff that he did and is the obvious reason that he was shot. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Danzy wrote: »
    Did the DA do all the lab work himself, the autopsy himself, examine and interview all recordings and witnesses etc etc.

No, the GIB does that and they are still doing so and have given the DA nothing, it's ongoing.

The DA said one of the officers was turning State Witness, his lawyer pointed out no one from the state have even met them and he has no intention of doing so.

The DA is not doing his job like he normally does.

Hahhahhhahaha
    Enlighten us so, oh brilliant random Irish forum commenter, on how the role of American DA "normally" does their job. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

NotMOL wrote: »
    The guard who was killed last night had his gun stolen and then scumbag then shot him, this is why police can not take chances. Brooks could've easily doing the same to the cops i

except brooks had a taser not a gun and he was running away and his crime was being drunk while asleep in a car. but apart from that they are identical, yeah.

I agree. The defunding angle really is poor wording I think. The police have absolutely massive resources funnelled away from the city coffers in order to fund their army-like presence that is the reality of many police forces there today. Meanwhile things like education, healthcare, community services, infrastructure are under-funded. When you invest in communities, it has a directly positive effect on society. In my opinion some of the money they receive should be allocated towards a more robust training period to include regular anti-bias training.

Given that so many people are armed in America, if you defund the police and there are no police on the streets, you'll find that many more crimes will carry the death penalty.

Instead of calling the cops, people will start to shoot people breaking into their property etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

Yes a Garda being shot in Roscommon means every protest about Police Brutality in America is automatically negated.

Do you understand how stupid that is?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Given that so many people are armed in America, if you defund the police and there are no police on the streets, you'll find that many more crimes will carry the death penalty.

Instead of calling the cops, people will start to shoot people breaking into their property etc.

they already do that and in a lot of states they can do that quite legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You're purposefully misstating the facts to suit your own agenda.

The dead man wasnt asleep in a parking lot.
    He was so drunk he fell asleep in a drive thru queue.
    He fought with police, and fired a weapon at them.
    Tasers are considered less than lethal, but are still controlled weapons.

He was violent, drunk, and stupid.
    He has only himself to blame.

No it is everyone that is to blame. You should know this by now.:rolleyes:

I saw part of a press conference with the cousin claiming Brooks to some innocent soul - "like our children " or something like that.

He was a criminal and a violent man. That makes him not innocent at all.

Very disappointed in Trevor Noah showing bias. Brooks has no accountability because was drunk and drunk people do silly things.

I suppose it would cause the Earth to stop spinning for anyone in the media to say both men are responsible for this.

How long will the workers at Wendy's be out of work and struggling to put food on the table because a gang of scumbags burnt down the place where they work?

Will Tyler Perry pay their wages until they can get new jobs I wonder?

nofiller69 wrote: »
    What kind of broken and sick society do you have that you end up dead for falling asleep in a drive through?

American police are low IQ rent-a-thugs. They wont hire smart people. This is a fact.

Now tell me if what transpired in that video are smart men making smart decisions, or morons unable to de-escalate one half asleep drunk guy.

Can you imagine the Garda shooting every drunk man they encounter in Ireland?

Or is it just you're contrarianism unable to see how sick and twisted this whole situation is?

It's sick and twisted that you think Brooks was shot for being drunk.

He was drunk. He was asleep in his car. Neither of these things are why he was shot. These are the reasons the cops were there in the first place.

Just as a reminder, Brooks was spoken to respectfully and the police told him he was to be cuffed and arrested. It was at this point that Brooks initiated the violence, resisted arrest, assaulted two cops, stole a police taser and attempted to disable a cop with it thereby endangering the life of the cop. That's why he was shot.

No it is everyone that is to blame. You should know this by now.:rolleyes:

I saw part of a press conference with the cousin claiming Brooks to some innocent soul - "like our children " or something like that.

He was a criminal and a violent man. That makes him not innocent at all.

Very disappointed in Trevor Noah showing bias. Brooks has no accountability because was drunk and drunk people do silly things.

I suppose it would cause the Earth to stop spinning for anyone in the media to say both men are responsible for this.

How long will the workers at Wendy's be out of work and struggling to put food on the table because a gang of scumbags burnt down the place where they work?

Will Tyler Perry pay their wages until they can get new jobs I wonder?

the wendys was burned down by a white woman. it was filmed.

• Advertisement

You see what happend to Brooks as a result of him being black. You have no proof whatsoever that the cops shot him because he was black.

I see what happened to Brooks as a result of what he did on the night he was shot. The DUI, the resisting arrest, the assault of two cops, the stealing of a police issue taser, the attempting to shoot a cop with said taser. That's why I think he was shot.

But obviously being black negates all the bad stuff that he did and is the obvious reason that he was shot. :rolleyes:

Point out where I said cops shot him because he is Black.
    What I actually said is that there are bad actors, bias, racism and other problematic issues on the force which I pointed out.
    Everyone has bias. Everyone. And in the history of the US, Blackness has been used to drive fear into whites. The policing there, which historically has racist origins which continue to be perpetuated, specifically has the word fear legislated for in regards to accountability. All they have to say is they "reasonably feared" for their life and presto, not guilty.
    Whether it was bias, or racism or just bad policing - what happened to him was senseless and wrong.
    And I'm in good company in those opinions seeing as how his own bosses fired him, the DA has brought charges, the US government is now speaking out against bias and problematic issues in the police force to be reformed, and the US president has signed an executive order directing actions to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

except brooks had a taser not a gun and he was running away and his crime was being drunk while asleep in a car. but apart from that they are identical, yeah.

running away? But stopped to turn aim and aim at officer before firing the weapon

One of his crimes was being drunk in a car. This is why the cops approached Brooks in the first place.

Don't forget the crime of

Resisting arrest
    Assaulting two cops
    Stealing a police issue taser
    Discharging said taser at police

It doesn't matter that the taser isn't a gun. It is still a weapon. You can't even get a licence for one here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He fired a weapon, it matter where that weapon was pointed and not his feet.

He was drunk. He was asleep in his car. Neither of these things are why he was shot. These are the reasons the cops were there in the first place.

Just as a reminder, Brooks was spoken to respectfully and the police told him he was to be cuffed and arrested. It was at this point that Brooks initiated the violence, resisted arrest, assaulted two cops, stole a police taser and attempted to disable a cop with it thereby endangering the life of the cop. That's why he was shot.

Therefore he deserved to die.

No.

I dont care how much mental gymnastics you put in. One asleep man vs 2 cops should never end in murder.

Can you imagine the Garda opening fire on every belligerent drunk in Ireland?

Or is it just because you're a forum contrarian with no empathy that you think anyone with a uniform have the right to kill indiscriminately?

No one is saying that armed police should not exist. There is information all over the internet about what is actually being asked for, and in turn, Police depts are now doing exactly that and the Government leaders are listening and proposing Bills as we speak. It involves setting up an unarmed sector of the force comprising of trained professionals to deal with non-violent requests for help.

Clearly there are white idiots too. Throw the book at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hahhahhhahaha
    Enlighten us so, oh brilliant random Irish forum commenter, on how the role of American DA "normally" does their job. :pac:

The DA has not received any evidence on this matter the body responsible for investigating and referring evidence on.

Wait till he has a folder of evidence.

When you remove your religious fervour, you are also just a random on an Irish forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Agreed. If the police officer had shot Brooks in the middle of the struggle when he was reaching for or around weapons I would believe it was more justifiable.

Instead they let him take the tazer. Wriggle free. Flee. Fires a tazer. Continues to flee. Is shot twice in the back. How he was deemed more a threat 15 feet from a lethal weapon rather than inches its hard to justify the actions of the police officer.

People should also remember that up until the moment of arrest that Brooks himself was also behaving respectfully and seemed very amiable.

So these two cops did not see his violent outburst coming.

And they should remember that this one man, in a drunken state, over powered two sober trained officers.

• Advertisement

One of his crimes was being drunk in a car. This is why the cops approached Brooks in the first place.

Don't forget the crime of

Resisting arrest
    Assaulting two cops
    Stealing a police issue taser
    Discharging said taser at police

It doesn't matter that the taser isn't a gun. It is still a weapon. You can't even get a licence for one here in Ireland.

And don't forget the very valid fear that Black men have in the US of arrests by police. Don't forget that he was drunk and unable to react rationally. Don't forget the police were sober, and should be able to de-escalate and use the least amount of action or force as they are demonstrably able to more often do when dealing with white people. Don't forget that Rayshard was shot in the back while running away, there was a second cop and there were other actions and options that could have been taken from start - finish.
    His bosses agree. Now he's fired.
    He's now facing 11 charges including murder.
    It's obviously not as 'case closed' as some would like.

Agreed. If the police officer had shot Brooks in the middle of the struggle when he was reaching for or around weapons I would believe it was more justifiable.

Instead they let him take the tazer. Wriggle free. Flee. Fires a tazer. Continues to flee. Is shot twice in the back. How he was deemed more a threat 15 feet from a lethal weapon rather than inches its hard to justify the actions of the police officer.

What video are you watching?

They let I'm take the taser and wriggle free?

Brooks kicked both of their asses in that fight and they could stop him.

Danzy wrote: »
    The DA has not received any evidence on this matter the body responsible for investigating and referring evidence on.

Wait till he has a folder of evidence.

When you remove your religious fervour, you are also just a random on an Irish forum.

Religious fervour? Now I'm really confused.
    A DA is one of the highest powered jobs in that country, he knows what he's doing. With the whole world's scrutiny on it right now to boot. LOL

Can you imagine defending police actions in America when your country's trauma is from British authoritarian brutality?

What has the colour of the scumbag's skin got to do with it?

Why are making it about race ?

nofiller69 wrote: »
    Can you imagine defending police actions in America when your country's trauma is from British authoritarian brutality?

What trauma?

Ireland and the UK get along just fine.

If there is trauma why do so many Irish love British soccer teams?

Howard, the Fulton County district attorney, said during a news briefing that Brooks "never presented himself as a threat."

"At the very beginning, he was peacefully sleeping in his car; after he was awakened by the officer, he was cooperative; and he was directed to move his car to another location. He calmly moved his car," Howard said.

"Mr. Brooks never displayed any aggressive behavior," he added.

He also noted that for a period of more than two minutes after he was shot, "there was no medical attention applied to Mr. Brooks."

Georgia officials also said that Rolfe kicked Brooks while he was on the ground.

In filing charges, Howard said, prosecutors relied in part on a statement made on the video by Rolfe, "I got him."

There is also reporting from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and The Guardian indicating that Rolfe, the officer who killed Brooks, was previously reprimanded for his use of force.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/17/879509659/former-atlanta-police-officer-who-shot-rayshard-brooks-charged-with-felony-murde?t=1592473089475

How long does it take a person to cover 15 feet if they stopped and lunged at you?

How long does it take a taser projectile to travel 15 feet and immobilise you?

I'm going to guess about a second or two for the first one and a fraction of a second for the other one.

The cop had to react. He reacted. It didn't work out very well for Brooks.

Do I wish Brooks was killed, no I don't wish that.

Do I think the cop was justified in shooting Brooks. Yes I do.

Do I think it was an execution, no I don't.

Do I think it was self defence, yes I do.

What trauma?

Are you just going to pretend Northern Ireland doesn't exist?

Or are you trying to remove Bloody Sunday, the Famine, UVF, IRA and the Rising from history?

This is a country that knows too well what unchecked authority does.

You're telling me because people watch football all of these disappear? Do you realize how insane that sounds?

• Advertisement

What trauma?

The analogy calls for you to imagine the reality that they DON'T get on fine.
    There's little trauma in comparison, because the actual reality is very different. You were asked to imagine. Also known as empathy?

I've said this very same thing earlier on this thread and also on the Ahmaud thread and asked others to imagine if the British were still an occupying force disproportionately targeting, arresting, sentencing and killing Irish. Filling their private prisons with Irish after we became their slaves, because slavery turned into the 13th amendment with a "crime" clause. And how we'd feel seeing our countrymen and women brutally killed and filmed for our public consumption.
    Crickets every time.

Advertisement