Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Maybe if sh!t goes sideways, they call in armed enforcement that is there within minutes (unlike Ireland, ha ha)

You can be killed in seconds. Not much use when the cops are minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'd be willing to bet an active robbery gets an armed response. :rolleyes:

I see that you ignore the posts that are difficult to respond to.

I'd be willing to bet an active robbery gets an armed response. :rolleyes:

I'd certainly hope so.

Maybe if sh!t goes sideways, they call in armed enforcement that is there within minutes (unlike Ireland, ha ha)

A Guard was killed during the night here so watch yourself with "haha"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how is the incident in ireland relevant to a discussion on unarmed response? the garda that died was armed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

And how does the person who calls the police know there is not a gun in the car?

Already addressed this with a call to armed back up. The truth is nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect or fail proof. The reality is cops signed up for a dangerous job but they will have training to be able to stay as safe as possible. A gun isn't always a solution. Remember the logic of some in America to the reality of school mass shooters? Arm the teachers and have armed officers in schools? That didn't go down well, teachers aren't trained to kill nor should they have to be and schools are now cancelling their contracts with PD's as it's shown that they escalate issues with students and those of colour are shown to be disciplined more frequently and heavily. And their students who are POC are terrified in their schools and this isn't on. Also remember the logic of "good guy with a gun?" People in the nightclubs, concerts, theatres that were victims of mass shooters that have guns would only cause chaos and confusion for responding police (who is the actual shooter?) and would increase the death tolls if people with guns are just shooting all around them.

Anyway, that country needs to deal with it's general gun problem, full stop. Anyone can rock up to Walmart and buy an automatic weapon designed to kill humans (not hunt) in about 10 minutes. That is f-d up.

My comments here have nothing to do with that Garda (RIP) so watch yourself on modding my comments.

I see that you ignore the posts that are difficult to respond to.

Such as?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You can be killed in seconds. Not much use when the cops are minutes away.

Any of us can be killed in seconds. You need to refocus here. What this is actually about is an OTT armed police response killing unarmed citizens and disproportionately so with Black people.

Already addressed this with a call to armed back up. The truth is nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect or fail proof. The reality is cops signed up for a dangerous job but they will have training to be able to stay as safe as possible. A gun isn't always a solution. Remember the logic of some in America to the reality of school mass shooters? Arm the teachers and have armed officers in schools? That didn't go down well, teachers aren't trained to kill nor should they have to be and schools are now cancelling their contracts with PD's as it's shown that they escalate issues with students and those of colour are shown to be disciplined more frequently and heavily. And their students who are POC are terrified in their schools and this isn't on. Also remember the logic of "good guy with a gun?" People in the nightclubs, concerts, theatres that were victims of mass shooters that have guns would only cause chaos and confusion for responding police (who is the actual shooter?) and would increase the death tolls if people with guns are just shooting all around them.

Anyway, that country needs to deal with it's general gun problem, full stop. Anyone can rock up to Walmart and buy an automatic weapon designed to kill humans (not hunt) in about 10 minutes. That is f-d up.

What good is armed back up when a man with a gun kills the unarmed cops who were first on the scene?

A person who calls the police doesn't always have all the facts.

The person who complained about Brooks didn't know if Brooks was dangerous or had a weapon. Which many people in America can have.

That is why there was an armed response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

You've spouted some amount of nonsense on this thread already but no one can just to rock up to Walmart and buy a fully automatic weapon just google the National_Firearms_Act.

If I killed someone with a knife would you also so that a knife is a weapon that is designed to kill humans?

Already addressed this with a call to armed back up. The truth is nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect or fail proof.

And because nothing is going to be 100% perfect or fail proof, the cops have to be armed because they don't know what they will face.

If I was a cop I would think it's better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one.
    The reality is cops signed up for a dangerous job but they will have training to be able to stay as safe as possible. A gun isn't always a solution.

Agreed that it is a dangerous job. Agreed that a gun isn't always a solution.

But I think it is a necessary evil if you are going to be a cop in the States.

Remember the logic of some in America to the reality of school mass shooters? Arm the teachers and have armed officers in schools? That didn't go down well, teachers aren't trained to kill nor should they have to be and schools are now cancelling their contracts with PD's as it's shown that they escalate issues with students and those of colour are shown to be disciplined more frequently and heavily.

Many schools still have armed response officers, including teachers. Some agree with it, some disagree with it.

Not relevant to this discussion though.
    Also remember the logic of "good guy with a gun?" People in the nightclubs, concerts, theatres that were victims of mass shooters that have guns would only cause chaos and confusion for responding police (who is the actual shooter?) and would increase the death tolls if people with guns are just shooting all around them.

There have been cases where a gun has saved people. Here's one such example where a good guy with a gun shot and wounded a mass murderer and this helped get the guy caught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_Springs_church_shooting

You are showing here that you know very little about guns. You can't get an automatic weapon in Walmart. It's actually difficult enough to legally aquire a fully automatic firearm in the states, and expensive too.

And given that the laws in America allow for self defence, it is perfectly acceptable to get a gun designed to kill humans.

That's their laws. Again, not relevant to the Brooks shooting.

Any of us can be killed in seconds. You need to refocus here. What this is actually about is an OTT armed police response killing unarmed citizens and disproportionately so with Black people.

Yes, we can all be killed. And so can cops. They are people too.

Therefore it's only right that they are armed in the States.

Brooks wasn't unarmed. He had a police issue taser that he violently stole from a police officer.

It's a problem that black people are disproportionately killed by police officers, but I don't see that being the case with Brooks' shooting.

I added more to the previous post.

And no this is not about any of that.

Judge this situation on its own

These two officers were not just going about their work when the violence was inflicted upon them. they were overpowered and unable to subdue a violent man.

It is actually unfair to put Brooks, a violent thug, in the same category as decent people who who were actually treated unfairly by actual bad cops.

My comments here have nothing to do with that Garda (RIP) so watch yourself on modding my comments.

Wasn't moderating you - a person who likes to tell others when they entitled to post comments.

I was telling to show some respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

wow. Just actually watched it. I thought he must have been in a drive thru queue or something, not just asleep in the car.
    He was very polite and even likeable until they tried to cuff him. His reaction at that point seemed more panicked than anything else. 100% clear that he was trying to run away not attack. Even looked very much like he was already tazed when they shot him.

You've spouted some amount of nonsense on this thread already but no one can just to rock up to Walmart and buy a fully automatic weapon just google the National_Firearms_Act.

If I killed someone with a knife would you also so that a knife is a weapon that is designed to kill humans?

hahaha I LIVED there and was with someone who did this. Try again.

Wasn't moderating you - a person who likes to tell others when they entitled to post comments.

Something sorely lacking from yourself.

what disrespect was shown? the two incidents are entirely unrelated

how is the incident in ireland relevant to a discussion on unarmed response? the garda that died was armed.

I never said it was related.

I was commenting on stateofyou's sneery comment

state you is the one who brought the Guards into this thread. ask him the relevance

• Advertisement

I added more to the previous post.

And no this is not about any of that.

Judge this situation on its own

These two officers were not just going about their work when the violence was inflicted upon them. they were overpowered and unable to subdue a violent man.

It is actually unfair to put Brooks, a violent thug, in the same category as decent people who who were actually treated unfairly by actual bad cops.

If you're going to bring up Brook's past as if it has any bearing on what happened, then look at the cops past with his own dodgy disciplinary record. I haven't seen you bringing that into the equation.

Something sorely lacking from yourself.

I'm talking about respect for the man who died.

show me where I lack respect for anyone who has died?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It shows what happens when in the course of a minor incident a weapon is taken.

If you're going to bring up Brook's past as if it has any bearing on what happened, then look at the cops past with his own dodgy disciplinary record. I haven't seen you bringing that into the equation.

Where did I bring up Brooks past?

I'm talking about the night he died.

as Danzy pointed out they are actually related

hahaha I LIVED there and was with someone who did this. Try again.

How long ago did this supposed purchase of a fully automatic weapon happen in Walmart?

Are you sure you aren't mistaking it for a semi-automatic weapon?

Danzy wrote: »
    It shows what happens when in the course of a minor incident a weapon is taken.

I'm talking about respect for the man who died.

show me where I lack respect for anyone who has died?

the post you responded to was about poor garda response times. nothing to do with the garda that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Brooks's past is irrelevant to the shooting.

He could have been a good person and still shot for the way he escalated the situation and threat posed.

What we know of him just means we can be grateful his family are now safe, his neighbours are safer.

It's just a silver lining.

Neither the cops past nor Brooks past has anything to do with why he was shot.

Brooks' actions lead to him being shot. Not his history, nor the cop's history.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How long ago did this supposed purchase of a fully automatic weapon happen in Walmart?

Are you sure you aren't mistaking it for a semi-automatic weapon?

every mass shooting that i am aware of in the US involved semi-automatic weapons. that you can walk into a supermarket and walk out with one is impossible for me to understand.

Advertisement